What "makes" a 66 Barracuda a Formula S ??

-
Probably an all-original 1st gen with all of the goodies may be worth a bunch. That '68 you passed on had to be in rough shape and quite a few moons ago.
Actually it was not that bad, all original, but faded paint.

Actually it was not that bad, all original, but faded paint.
Again it couldn't have been as recent as 5 years because no one passes on a '68 Formula S with bad paint that was eventually given away and then flipped for 10k.

Again it couldn't have been as recent as 5 years because no one passes on a '68 Formula S with bad paint that was eventually given away and then flipped for 10k.
July 2023, I just always thought those cars were not very attractive, it did have a decent interior.

Sorry just an opinion, I like the 70+ A bodies better.
PM me your phone number, I will text you a pic of the car. Have not figured out how to post pics from my phone.

Sorry just an opinion, I like the 70+ A bodies better.
PM me your phone number, I will text you a pic of the car. Have not figured out how to post pics from my phone.
No worries and no complaints about your opinion. Just amazed that one of the most beautiful bodies designed is unappealing compared to the later style a bodies. :poke: :lol:

Thanks heaps everyone.

I really do appreciate all the input, and actually learning stuff along the way.

One car I’ve seen is listed as a Barracuda with Factory S options. Im pretty certain that doesn’t mean it’s a Formula S. Something I learnt here.

The Formula S was primarily a handling package, brought about by the Rallye Pack option from early 65. It consists of….

HD leaf springs, 6 leaves on the passenger side, 5 on the drivers side

I'm pretty sure 66 up had 6 leaf springs on both sides. I know a "67" 4 speed Formula S 273 and "68" auto Formula S 383 both had 6 leaves on both sides. I never had a 65 Formula S.

I'm pretty sure 66 up had 6 leaf springs on both sides. I know a "67" 4 speed Formula S 273 and "68" auto Formula S 383 both had 6 leaves on both sides. I never had a 65 Formula S.
Yes it did. I found that out with my Dart. It has the "Dart Rallye Package" option (code 368) with the HD leaf springs, sway bar, HD torsion bars, bigger 14" Blue Streak tires and 14x 5.5 wheels. THe 273-4 had to be ordered separately. It was included in the Formula S package.

Geoff, I’ve always known the exhaust to have a muffler with the resonator. Not true? I agree with toolman option 367

A story I heard from an old Plymouth Dealership salesman. :lol:

In Spring of 1966, two salesmen were sitting in the Plymouth showroom drinking coffee. It was the middle of the month slow period....not many cars selling. They see a big snail coming across the lot, and Mr. Snail stops at a new yellow 66 Formula S Barracuda, looks it over and makes his way to the showroom. Mr. Snail asks the salesmen how much? They think, "Oh boy....here we go!" So one salesman quotes Mr. Snail full list price. Mr. Snail doesn't balk at the price, and tells them he will pay $1000 over list price if they will make one adjustment to the car. The 2 salesmen look at each other and then back to Mr. Snail, and one of them ask him what he would like done. He says, "You know the chrome S on the front fenders?" They say yes. Mr. Snail says he would like those replaced with similar S badges, but 6 inches in diameter. One of the salesmen says "Mr. Snail, we can get that done, but why would you spend so much money to have the same emblem....just bigger? Mr. Snail says "Well, as you can see, I am a Snail. Us Snails have poor eyesight, so I just want the badges bigger so I can be sure of which car is mine if parked next to one just like it somewhere." The sales guys look at each other again, then tell Mr. Snail that if he will leave a deposit and come back tomorrow they will have that done. Mr. Snail says "I will pay in full today if you have it ready by noon tomorrow, and will refund my money if it isn't to my satisfaction." They agree, and he pays and leaves. Next day at 11:30 they see him coming slowly across the parking lot. He glides around the car, smiles real big when he sees the big S badges and thanks them for doing what they said they would do. They hand him the keys and paperwork, and thank him again. One salesman gently cautions him of the power of the 273HP, but tells Mr. Snail to punch it when he leaves. Mr. Snail thanks them again and eases the clutch out and heads for the exit. As he gets straightened up in the street, he tachs it up, dumps the clutch and does a massive burnout up the street in front of the dealership. The two salesmen are watching in awe, and one elbows the other and says (wait for it!) "Man, would you look at that S car go!"

:rofl:

I just gave my buddy a pair of original 66 springs from a Formula S, 6 on the passenger, 5 on the driver. I’m not saying that’s gospel, just what I’ve seen through the years.

My 65 Barracuda had the Commando 273, 4 speed, and rally suspension with HD torsion bars, HD rear springs and front sway bar. But it had 13 inch wheels and no tach. It was not a Formula S. The original 13 inch wheels got replaced long ago, and for the past 50 years it has had an aftermarket tach where the factory one would have been. Also, I put "S" badges on it years ago after a wreck that required replacing the front fenders, because I always liked the way the "S" badges looked, but now I wish it still had the Commando V8 fender badges. I still have the original fender badges, but would have to drill different holes in the fenders to mount them, plus fill the ones that are there now. So will probably just keep them as souvenirs.

The original springs were six leaf. They are in my 67 Barracuda now (originally a slant six car), while the ones in my 65 are out of the Duster 340 my brother wrecked. They also are six leaf. (The Duster springs had a lot fewer miles on them than the 65 Barracuda springs.)

Why did you scrap them? I'm still running the original springs on the 66 and 68.

I disassembled, blasted these swap meet 340 springs and put them back together with new insulators and zinc interleaves for my 63 Valiant. Pretty much look and function as new. I did paint them before installing them. They, too, are six leaf springs.

1719789849457.jpeg

I ordered springs from Espo in the winter for spring install. She asked if they were 5 or 6 leaf. The car was in winter storage and I didn't know what I had. I ordered the 5 leaf springs and knock on wood, no issues for around 25 years. Sorry to get off track.

there have been several on ebay that cant be sold for 30k in really good shape. I paid 20k for the avatar car to the left. It is a non-formula s but it is a performance package car which is a C 5 car rather than a C2 formula s. I have the sway bar, commando 273, 4 gear, factory tach, limited slip and heavy-duty suspension. It is a joy to drive and gets thumbs up everywhere I go. One of the neighborhood kids had his prom pictures taken with it, him and his date. These cars are undervalued and a great choice for a nice A body on a small budget

there have been several on ebay that cant be sold for 30k in really good shape. I paid 20k for the avatar car to the left. It is a non-formula s but it is a performance package car which is a C 5 car rather than a C2 formula s. I have the sway bar, commando 273, 4 gear, factory tach, limited slip and heavy-duty suspension. It is a joy to drive and gets thumbs up everywhere I go. One of the neighborhood kids had his prom pictures taken with it, him and his date. These cars are undervalued and a great choice for a nice A body on a small budget
What do you mean C5 and C2? On the fender tag? If you're referring to the fender tag, the C is what transmission came in the car.

In 1965 the 2 and the 5 would be under the capital C for formula s or performance package cars which is what my avatar car that I was referring to is.
True that. I wonder why they dropped that code in 1966? In 66 it changed to 367 and was under E and F from what I see.

-
Back