What steering box is everyone using??

-

Steven190

Reaction score
This is one question I have been pounding for awhile. The 69 Dart I have has a power steering box.

With this forum there is a wide range of usages and experiences.

I have been leaning toward the Feel Firm converted box to a feel firm phase 3 conversion. My first Dart had a manual box and was hand full, being a Pro Street car. This car will be a Hot Rod for street drive and enjoyment.

My questions are. Is anyone using this box? and their feedback. Or what type of steering is everyone using?

Borgeson!! I'm partial because I make the bolt installation parts too. I had the box in my Dart before I started making the parts though. I got tired of the loose factory boxes.

Mopar fast ratio 16:1 manual box. Tough to steer from a dig but once going it is fine. It took some getting used to, but is tight and responsive.
My other has std ratio 24:1 manual box, I hate this box it steers like a boat. I will go with firm feel when I do. I am just undecided if to go 16:1 or 20:1 when I do.

Thanks all for their input, I am leaning towards the Feel firm #3 so far, but my project is just starting.

Have a manual Flaming River 16:1. It's a little tough at a stand still to turn but once it's moving it's fine. I also have a small steering wheel so that makes a bit of a difference too on how hard it turns. But once it's moving it's great!

Went with a Firm Feel 2, but now could definitely see liking a 3 more. However, at time of purchase being in NY everyone steered me away from the 3 saying it would be way too much work for local roads.

Firm Feel #2 , I like it , steering is much better than the stock box . With poly bushings and FF box the car rides and steers well .

i know quiet a few guys running the firm feel boxes and they are very happy with them..

the Borgeson box sounds interesting but i see reports of the pitman arms not fitting right. not enough thread engagement. not sure what the deal is with that... the other thing was i thought it was an all new box but thats just a rebuilt unit also..

I've installed a couple of Borgeson units, each one had an issue, be it leaks, needing shimming or Pitman fitment. Never had an issue with Firm Feel units! I like the stage 2.

I run a worn out factory PS unit.

When I replace it I'll most likely go with Firm Feel. I'd only go with Borgeson if I wanted to keep PS and run a Gen III Hemi.

... the Borgeson box sounds interesting but i see reports of the pitman arms not fitting right. not enough thread engagement. not sure what the deal is with that... the other thing was i thought it was an all new box but thats just a rebuilt unit also..

I installed a Borgeson #800119 and it fit properly. Huge improvement over the stock box.

Perhaps the reason the pitman arms don't fit is that they bought the wrong box? #800119 has the 1.250" shaft, #800118 has the 1.125" shaft.

Flaming River manual box, 16:1. Lighter than the power steering options. More header clearance. No belts or pulleys. And I run mine with 275/35/18's on the front and can still turn. Gets a little entertaining if I have to parallel park, but anything above 5mph is no big deal.

-
Back