what to say to nit pickers at car shows

-
I love those cars, your dad did a really nice job. I once had an old guy come up to me at a show and inform me that you couldn't get BB's in Demon's in 71 so I told him after 40 yrs. you probably haven't got your original parts either.

Terry

I had a similar situation at a show about 15 years ago. My car was not in the official show, it was in the parking lot as it's not show car quality. Anyway, I happened to be hanging out with a friend with my hood open and some guys were checking out the engine. At the time, not a lot of guys had 340's in early A bodys, so there was a lot of curiosity.

So this guy points to my home made throttle return spring bracket. It was a simple L shaped bracket that I made when I swapped on my LD340. He says "That's not original." I looked him and said "Well, my car is so far from stock it really doesn't matter." He shrugged and walked away. My friend said "That was great! You basically told him to go f#*& himself without actually saying it."

Ya know, on the cars I see at a show that have little imperfections, I say, wow, thats really good work for not using a machine. People just don't understand that as much as the parts ought to line up perfect, time and conditions don't allow that to happen every single time.

And to the cars that have a bit of wear here and there, I say, cool, they must actually DRIVE this car, which to me is better than a show queen.

But there are the other sides to it too. HAd a friend with me at a show, and he asked if the 74 Duster came stock with a 340 6bbl. I said, no, but it was an option on E bodies, and the 340 came in the dusters until 73, and a few 74 might have slipped through. Well, the owner gets indiginant, "I bought it from the factory like this!!!"

Sure ya did. I've seen some cars that "didn't exist", but a 74 340/6 Duster isn't one of them.

Asshole indeed........people and there ignorant opinions.........That is a slick ride you dad has.......

Another good comeback.......
"Man what good eyesight you have!!! I built it like that so the as*%&le nitpickers would spot that and never realize that this car is is full of putty and nothing is right on it !''

speaking of assholes at car shows, whats the deal with the guys who drive a brand-new corvette to the cruise in and then pop the hood and sit around like they have something cool? that is, besides the obvious tiny *****.....

I was at a cruise in in the mid 90's in my 70 440 6pk cuda that was damn near perfect and I over hear a guy sat to his son"See that son, hemi's didn't come with six packs" I just let it go rather than embarass the guy in front of his son.
Recently I have been getting pissed off at the nit pickers on the Duster. It has a chain to safeguard if the motor mount breaks. It has been there since before I got the car in 97. More people make comments about than anything. One asshole even said " Maybe you should have it chromed" I watched him and his buddy walk to there f150 and honda motorcycle. I almost went off but i didn't. Is it ok if I use your dads line? That is classic.

I have to be at least the 5'th owner of my duster. Some of the work on it was done lovingly by experts, some of it was done by Bomba the Jungle Boy. The "All Original" ship sailed on this car a looooooooong time ago and most anything I do to it is an improvement at this point.

I could go on but the point is that while most anyones' duster is 'better' than mine, it is special to me.

Does not matter to me, she is all mine and I love the old girl (although I'm older than she is....)

So every time so DOHD decides to go on about my "crappy" duster I just smile and say "thank you very much". It keeps them guessing anyway!

-LY

Great car! Dads are fantastic. Mine had a real knak at cutting through the bull and keepin it real! LOL!
Enjoy him while you can. It's never too late to learn a lesson from dad!
I wish I would have had more time with mine...................................
I think it has to do with only putting up with peoples crap for so many years, I am myself getting to that age of not puttin up with crap and speaking my mind to people who deserve it!

Your dad has a beautiful car, very nice work. And he has a great attitude as well.

I know I'm at the age where I don't put up with anybodies ****. So tired of the a holes.

Cool street rod! The a$$ deserved what he got. B/4 I owned my Dart I was driving my PT Cruiser in our annual "4th Street Cruise" and some yay-hoo
sitting in a lawn chair yelled at me from the side of the road "you should have bought a classic". That dick head didn't even have a car to cruise in. That's why he was setting in a chair on the sidewalk. A few months later I found my Dart and getting a thumbs up or "cool car" is a lot easier to take. toolmanmike

Perfect comeback!! Your Dad should be very proud of his car, and you should be very proud of him.

I guess thats one reason I don't show my car,I have a very low tolerance for alot of people.My wife says if I try to be nice I might have more freinds but I say who needs an ahole for a freind.Oh by the way that is a nice looking ride.

Nice ride

I was at a local car shows and these two dirt bag looking guys are back and fourth about what junk so and so car is and how they would do it way better.
The show was wrapping up and these to :@:ss clowns are leaving so I check out what they are driving.Yup they head to the bus stop and jump on it what a bunch of fools.Maybe they had hemi cars at home:angry7:

speaking of assholes at car shows, whats the deal with the guys who drive a brand-new corvette to the cruise in and then pop the hood and sit around like they have something cool? that is, besides the obvious tiny *****.....

Tears in my eyes from laughing at that one!

Your Dad has an awesome car. He said the right thing. I wish I can come up with those one liners off the cuff. Way to go Dad!

Your Dads coupe is very cool!
2.gif

I'm going to look at a 32 Ford coupe body this week for a possible future project if i ever get my other 2 cars done!

Sweet ride, an' I always liked " Hey thanks, I never noticed that before, lets go over to the consession tent, my treat. I hear they just tapped a cold keg of shut the f%$& up.

Lets see a pic of the horribly crooked grill! lol

I went to a show today, "When are you going to get it painted" is what I hear constantly.
Besides answering it as "I really prefer to drive it and enjoy it" should I be giving them a specific start date and completion date?
And maybe ask them why it f-ing matters 'when' to them so much?

Sounds like my annual neighborhood car show...7 cars and 3 of them were black late model Corvettes. Me and the boy just cruised by real slow in the Demon and traded stares with all of them.

You want to get nit picking comments at a show? Try driving a 67 Dart with a 68 grill and tail lights!! I get so many negative comments that I usually don't stay with the car. And that is parked in the Fun Field.

-
Back