What to use to stop tranmission fluid from leaking,when

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
What can i use to stop the fluid from leaking out the tail stock when i remove the engine and transmission the week.Had a big time spill 2 years back.

I always use a spare slip yoke and use a bungee strap or coat hanger ran to the front to hold it in place.

Dont have spare slip yoke, have used the bageeee trick in the past,me thing thats what i did last time,and the bag teared.May be to thin.

MP used to sell tranny plug kit, which contained plastic plugs for front pump, rear yoke, speedo hole, protector cap for NSS, and vinyl caps for cooling line fittings. I think the kits were less than $20. If they are no longer available, you could probably pick them up at swap meets.

If your pulling it anyway why not drain it first ? Get a funnel with a filter and save the fluid if the cost of replacement is a concern .

IF I drain it first I pull the slip yoke out and then take out the speedo housing but no matter how much comes out there will be a bunch more when you lift the engine and trans out so have a pan handy and a friend to make sure he keeps it where it needs to be as you lift the assy out.

Lisle makes a kit. You only need one. May be someone knows which one you need as per size. They can be ordered separately.
Lisle Corporation

If your seal has the "dust boot", I've used the lid off a spray paint can with duct tape wrapped around it. It'll slide snugly over the dust boot.

IMG_3372.jpg

If your seal has the "dust boot", I've used the lid off a spray paint can with duct tape wrapped around it. It'll slide snugly over the dust boot.

View attachment 1715058207
bing go we have a winner,what a cool and inexpensive idea. A paint can lid priceless.I am going to try that but like 6packtogo said wrap with a bag .still scratching my head.who would of thought of that.

Invest in a deeper pan while you have it out , the deep ones all seem to have a drain plug in them making this a no brainer for the next time .

oh - I usually tape the hell out of it to make it stay.. they are a PITA to "babysit" and are nearly guaranteed to contact the garage floor and pop out if you don't

A deep 904 pan. If you got a link, send it. A Tylenol bottle used to fit perfectly in the seal. Dont know now days. That red plug is bunk: It'll come out as soon as the trans tailshaft drags on the deck. Good advise is to put a skateboard under the tailshaft on its way out so it doesnt drag.

I use the Mopar Performance steel pan , it is only a quart deeper and has to be straightened after shipping but it has a draun plug which is what I wanted in the first , the extea quart is a bonus .They are cost effective and come with a filter and extension kit .look for P4007886

-
Back