What type of dart do I have?

-
Yep, just a 2 barrel engine. A 4 barrel would look like this:

engine 296.jpg

Type of Dart? A Dodge. You have a Dodge Dart. Cool lookin one too.

Is that a disc brake master cylinder?
Yes, it appears it is the single reservoir disc brake master cylinder. See how tall it is? He said it has disc brakes. The early disc master cylinders looked like that.

Looks like a Ford Voltage Regulator bolted to the drivers fender....
Also looks like it had a heater but the blower motor is gone & there's a block off plate... And the hose locations are also plugged...

Back in the summer of 68, I looked at a 67 Barracuda fastback for sale, 273 two barrel with four speed. Silver with a black interior. Really a nice looking car, but the car lot was asking $2750 for it, which I though was too much. Plus, I wasn't too interested in the two barrel. Not long after, I found my 65 Commando 273 four speed Barracuda for $1150.

Quite a few years later, I looked at a 67 Barracuda coupe with a factory 318 two barrel and a four speed. I would have bought it if I hadn't already had a 67 Barracuda coupe. Friend of mine bought it, kept the 318 and replaced the four speed with an automatic. ???

Who thinks of these combinations?

By the way, is the carb on the OP's Dart a correct 273 two barrel? Looks too big - more like one from a 360 or 383 to me.

I think there is consensus that this is a 1966 Dart with a 273 V8 but we need either the fender tag or the build sheet to determine if it was a 2 or 4 barrel carb (and we all know the the 4 barrel has higher compression and crinkle painted valve covers etc…)
It has the larger capacity brake master cylinder reservoir that was only on ‘66 A-bodies with disc brakes so that is most likely original.
The distributor has been changed with some other alterations. The windshield washer reservoir is missing along with the pump.

So the Ford voltage regulator will work the same but better for the chrysler alternator. It has to be “adapted.”
Depending on where the car has been for the last amount of years…. Part stores may be limited. I watched what those poor bastards did in CUBA to keep their cars running. When parts are scarce, you adapt.

As for the engine- it may be a 360-2bbl set up in the car with the original 273 dress up kit. The valve covers and water pump look the same. Only way to tell is numbers on the block. Not unusual at all to have a replacement engine to keep her going. It would bolt up the same. Also, I will concur 66’ and older there is no such thing as matching numbers cars. I’ve crawled around people who had the same car for 50years only to find the engine or trans was not sequence numbers- just the same year. Lots of discussion on that in the search area.

Very cool car. Send some more photos please. I enjoy seeing how people in other countries “make stuff work” when you don’t have the bone yards we do here in the states.
Syleng1

Well, I bought the car as you see it, here in Peru there are a lot of spare parts for Ford, more than anything when we talk about American cars, for these Dodges with 273 and 318 engines there are not many spare parts, in fact everything has to be imported.

In my case I have other cars, but they are all 2 seater and in this case I bought the dart for a family car and especially for these characteristics:
  • There is no post between the windows, so when both windows are lowered it is an incredible feeling.
  • It has a 4-speed mechanical gearbox with its hurst shifter with trigger.
  • Pretty good small block V8 engine.
  • Original front disc brakes.
  • Bucket seats.
  • It's a Dart Gt, so in its time it was top of the line.
  • It has very little rust, apparently no crashes and is 90% complete with all its bezels and emblems.
My project with this car is:
  • Wooden steering wheel with pins.
  • Upholster the entire floor, dashboard and door panels black.
  • Dunlop wheels with white letters 265/60/14 rear and 235/60/14 front.
  • Original suspension slightly raised at the back to have that muscle car look of its time.
  • Shift Knob Hurst white.
  • Chrome hurst shift lever base.
  • Shotgun Air Scoop through the front hood
  • Aluminum radiator.
  • msd kit.
  • Mopar valve cover.
  • Phantom grill with 2 round headlights per side, one large and one small.
  • Small aluminum dragster type spoiler.
  • Sticker F.Bomb type of fast and furious.
  • Preserve the patina, align some panels and lacquer the entire car.
  • Autometer Tach on the column of the steering wheel.
  • Autometer Water, Oil and Battery, under the dash align with the shifter.
  • 1 Magnaflow and 2" inox line exhaust.
So far that is the project and everything has been purchased ready to install.

I'm not too sure about changing the carburetor to 4bbl, the car runs very well with the 2bbl.

Those are different bucket seats. Not originals (from the USA anyway.) Did you say it was made in Brazil?

No disrespect, you have a decent 66 that won’t be ‘original’ so drive and enjoy it

Your Holley car is not stock, neither is your distributor and radiator. Your windshield washer system is totally missing. You also have a couple of "boxes" on the inner fender that aren't stock either. I looks like you have the spark plug heat shields on the opposite side they should be. When you say you have a "Hurst Trigger Shifter", does it actually say Hurst on it? The stock shifter in '66 is a Inland shifter, which does have a trigger to get the shifter in reverse. An 8 3/4 rear could be stock along with the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes. Buckets seats in a GT is common.

Shifter is NOT a Hurst, it is the original non-console Inland unit. Also known as the "wet noodle".

-
Back