What was your first car?

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
What was your first car and what is the story behind it? Here is mine:

My first car was a 1957 Chevy shortbed pickup. I bought in out of a field in 1981 when I was 14. I paid $450 of my hard earned "hay-haulin" money for it. The truck only had 36,000 miles on it. It seems the guy (a plumber) bought the truck new in 57 and used for a couple of years and won a new Ford 3/4 ton in a contest. Because this fit his business better he parked the Chevy in 59 or 60. He eventually passed away, I don't know exactly when, and I purchased the truck from his widow.

Smallblock, I bought the truck only a mile or two behind your house.

It was Green, had a 235 I6, an oilbath breather, 3 on the tree, and I loved it. Unfortunatly I sold it when I joined the Marines in 86.

76 Dart Sport - paid $300 for it in 1986. 318 2 Barrel, AT, 8 3/4 rear end, dual exhaust that ended before the rear axle. Inner fenders were rusted out 6 inches from the firewall, floor boards in the back were "non-existent" and incredibly soft in the front (had some really thick carpet/padding). Holes in the trunk, including one that a PO cut to work on the driver's side shackle. Rear brake stuck, brake lights rarely worked (until I found the cut in the wire) because I'd hit them and blow a fuse...

Did I mention I'd give anything to have it back?

My actual first car was an 87 Chevy Nova (the little compact Toyota type car). Gold with 4 doors and ac that didn't work. My first Dodge was a 93 Shadow ES, V6/speed, I put that car through hell!

A '61 or '62 Corvair Monza. That thing leaked oil so bad that before I took off in the evening I would fill it up with used motor oil until it overflowed the filler tube. Traded it in and paid $350 extra for a '63 Valiant... that would have been somewhere around 1968.
C

mine was a 72 ford thunderbird. had a 460 in it and it would move for a big car. got wrecked trying to teach my girlfriend at the time how to drive. she t boned another 1970 thunderbird in a parkinglot and flipped the other car over on it's top! it was a perfect hit and it flipped via the fact their wheels had slick tires and the momentum hitting the curb of the center island. their car got towed away, and i got back in mine and started it up and drove it away. sold it about a month later, as was.

Kinda a 62 Valiant station wagon. My dad took it to my uncle's farm for me to drive around the farm and learn to drive when I was about 10.

The first car on the road was a 4 door 73 Satellite. Also my dad's.

My first personal car was a 68 Charger when i got my first 'real' job at 24.

the big E

My dad traded a rototiller to a guy for my first car in 1967,a 53' plymouth,4 door, cranbrook,w/ a flat head six ,column shift 3 spd. The car had been sitting for a while. We poured gas in tank,primed the carb, and she boosted right off,drove her home.That little six ran real smooth. I painted the car,and drove it for about 2 yrs.,then my sister drove it for another year.

My first car was an 83 camaro i bought in 1999.I was 18 and didn't have alot of money but the car was cheap and ran.I found it in an auto rv magazine.I know have a 72 dart,69 charger,and a 71 fury.

learned to drive a 66 Valiant wagon! first car owned? 68 Pontiac Tempest, 6cyl, 3 on the tree, rubber mat interior - cheeeep. That was 1980.

My older brother talked me into buying a 1970 challenger with a 383 when I was 14 years old. When driving it home it threw a rod thew the side of the block trashed every thing in the motor (my dad was pissed I bought this car)
It took me a couple of years to get the car done (didn,t have a drivers licsence what else did I have to do) built a 440 for it did all the work myself and drove it all through high school sold it when I got married ( dad was pissed that i sold it). That is how my addiction started.

Picture2.jpg

71 Gremlin 232 six cyl. Original yellow was repainted 73 lemon twist laquer and custom striped with jet black. Later traded for a 73 Levis X edition w/304.

1968 dodge d-100 with a /6 and a dash mounted shifter. wish I still had it

I bought a 1969 Swinger 340 with a 4 speed in Sept 1969. It was F3 light green with a dark green vinyl roof. Being young(and dumb) and living in Minnesota and driving a muscle car in the winter were all against me. I totaled the car in Jan. of 1970 with less than 6000 miles on the car! The best time I can remember with it is when I raced a buddy who had a '69 Chevelle 396, 375 horse. I beat him 2 out of 3 times that night! This was my first of many Mopars. My very first car was a '56 Chevy 2dr hard top that my uncle gave me in 1966. He had just had it repainted, it was white and tropical turquoise. The power glide trans went out, he was tired of it, so he gave it to me!

My Dad bought my sister a 73 pinto,when she went off to nursing school he gave it to me(34,000 miles)I put cragers with 50,s on the back,blacked out rear windows and a monza tip.All my friends had Datsun 510,s hopped up.I got t-boned in that,what a mess!When I healed I bought a 69 Mustang(18 years old)it was a rust box.I replaced everything on that car,it kept me outta trouble.

When I was a kid, my dad was the service manager at our local dodge dealer. He gave my brothers and I our first cars. My eldest brother Larry got his license in 1977...dad hooked him up with a 440 powered '68 Charger R/T. My brother Bob got his license in 1979...dad gave him a 383 powered '66 Coronet 500. I also got a B body, a '68 Charger. We built a 360 with dual quads, six pack scoop, Cragar SST wheels, some custom paint...it was pretty cool for a first car.

Mine is (I still have it) is a 1973 Dart Sport with a 318 auto with disk brakes, F8 green I never liked that color. Got it to go to school in 81 or 82. looks like a sherman tank now. The green has faded, always wanted to restore it or paint it lime green of something. Was alot a fun to drive.

My first car was a 73 'cuda I bought it in 1983 for $650. The guy that had it stopped driving it when he went to college. It had a built 318 in it and ran pretty well. Of course being young and dumb it met with a fire hydrant and lost. I should have fixed it but $1,000 to a kid making $3/hr and only working 15 hrs a week seemed impossible. I wound up parting it out for what I paid for it and kept the hood, seats, console and engine/tranny.

Picture-1.jpg

my first car i bought in 1972 18 years from a dealer 1969 mach 1 428 cobra jet 4 speed shaker hood for 1500 dollars with 40000 miles on it man i miss that car second car still 18 went mopar 1970 road runner 440 six pack car did i pay to much for this car but i realy wanted it 1800 dollars 3000 miles know 65 coronet 67 dart conv building 68 dart putting in 572 alum hemi keep weight down on front end

75 Cutlass 2 door light blue inside and out in pretty god shape actually. It was my grandparents car and I emptied my bank account to give them $1000 down and then paid them $75 a month for a year (I think downpayment/payments was planned out by my parents to teach me how to manage $ as a 16 yr old). I wanted it for no other reason than I could afford it and couldnt wait to have my OWN car. Didnt take much time driving it to figure out that the 350 Rocket/4 barrel under the hood was WAY more powerful and fun to drive than my older sisters Vega that I had learned to drive in. A muscle car nut was born!! Thanks for the thread. GREAT idea and it was a fun little trip down memory lane for me!

A 1970 Plumb Crazy 340 Duster that I bought for $75. It took me and my Dad year to rebuild the motor and get it painted but I had the coolest rid in high school.

My parents bought a 1964 Dodge Custom 880 4 dr sedan brand new. Gave it to me when i started driving.

Drove it from 81 to 89, i got a job at Mcdonnell Douglas in Long beach and moved to Ca. Before i moved, he was deciding to keep it or get rid of it, and we went out and found a nice 78 LeBaron with a 318.

He finally decided to sell it, but no one wanted it back then. He took it to a junk yard (yeah, tell me about it) The guy said he would give him $100 for it.

Another guy behind us said he would buy it for $100. Bye, Bye old Dodge, it was sad seeing it go.

I moved to Ca, got laid off in 94 and came back here. I was working a job at a Chevron in Kirkland and one day i looked up and saw a 880 going down the road. It turned the corner before i could get a look at it.

A few days later i was doing something inside and heard the little ding of the gas pump dinger, looked up and it was sitting at the pump.

I went out there and told the guy I had one of those, and then looked at the license plate, it was my old car, the guy had completly restored it.

brand new interior, and paint, never new the name of the color, but it was a light turquoise paint with the same color interior. He said he would sell it back for $3000. Didnt have it though.

If any of you guys know a guy named Jeff Curtis, let me know, the last time i talked to him, he said he had sold it to a kid who was drag racing it. I havent seen it since around 95.

Wish i had pictures of it, i dont htink i ever took any.

-
Back