What was your first car?

-
My first car was/is the 63 valiant that I'm still working on and driving today. Well sorta.

We had the 63 4 door sitting in the driveway for a while and was always told "that's going to be your car." We also had a '64 2 door valiant with 3 on the tree that was just a hollow shell of a car that my mom drove around town, and used it to take me to and from school. The '64 had the flinstone braking kit and leaked water so badly my mom would fill the radiator before going anywhere and carried 2 giant plastic containers full of water. She used to watch that temp gauge like a hawk. The muffler was also rotted out and the backfired horribly. She would purposely rev up the engine and let off to make it backfire on command, she found it hilarious. The engine block was cracked because the freeze plugs didn't pop, and there was a list of other issues. I don't remember the details but there was some part swapping from the 64 into the 63 because at that time the 63 was in far superior condition (if only I knew then what I do now, I would have so much less work to do on the body :sad:). We dumped the 64, and kept the 63, which ran for a while longer than was left to sit again, At which point i was the official owner of the car at 12 years old. Since then it's continued to be my pride and joy and my curse.

-Greg

Although not as cool as all of your first rides... here's mine. Currently working on my rampage project =)

100_0416.jpg

I still have my first car. 1974 Plymouth Duster with numbers match 318 and 904. First pic was when me and my dad drove it home from Dayton Ohio on May 6, 2006. Second pic is from this past September.

young gun pic 1.jpg

DSCF5164.jpg

My first car was pretty sad.

1980 Ford Granada.

ford_granada_coupe_white_1980.jpg

Oh yeah. Very cool. Had a 200ci /6, paid $1300 or so for it. My heater core cracked once, started gushing coolant all over the core, which then steamed and boiled out of my dash. While driving it to the shop, my girlfriend behind me thought it was foggy that night. Then I turned a corner and she saw the fog was coming from my cabin, and I was driving sitting in the windowsill. $600 and fried piston rings later...

Three months after, the timing chain snapped, the timing gear got stripped, and the car got dumped on a friday. On that saturday I bought a 98 Plymouth Neon 5spd SOHC, learned to drive a stick in 2 hours on sunday, drove it to work monday night. :)

My cars have been getting better since then, and so have my mechanical skills. XD

My first car is the Duster I have in my avatar pic. I bought it in 1989 from my best friend who had recieved it from his grandpa. His grandpa bought the car from the Washington State Police in Seattle area. The police used it as a undercover car. Was avacado green and bare bones slant car. When my buddy had it the left front fender was lightly smacked by some old lady and
insurance was going to take the car. Blah blah blah .. I ended up buying it off him for $275 dollars and drove the crap out of that little /6. I shotgunned the six at 275,000 or so miles when a push rod finally gave up the ghost. I slapped another slant in it but that didnt last long before the lengthy resto project began.... sheesh... if I knew back them how much $275 was going to end up costing me..... I prob would not have bought the car...so now it sits in my garage for sun and fun days. :)

-RPM

1970, 340 4-speed Duster. I still have it and after 28 years I still love it!!!!!!!

1970 Pontiac Tempest T-37 2 door hardtop, 6 cyl. (OHV), three on the tree.
Beat the heck out of it-it took it like a trooper. bought her in 1974 for $950.00, sold in 1977 for $700.00.
The only problem: I broke so many clutch cross shafts (z-bar), that I couldn't find any more (new or junkyard). It was not the same as used on the GTO, so they were kinda scarce. Finally welded some round bar stock inside it: never broke again.
Back when I had it, my dad said I'd grow up & get sick of cars.

NOW:
1969 Charger
1971 Duster
1967 GTO
1957 Chevy Belair
1999 Explorer
2002 Ram 1500
1983 Harley Davidson Sportster

Sorry Dad

1972 Datsun 510 2-door. I paid $175 in cash for it from a fellow student without my parent's permission.

Naturally I would like to find one again.......no such luck.

Real popular with the ricky racer types in the 70's and 80's......

My dad and all of his friends worked at a Mopar dealer for most of the 70's and 80's. I grew up around them and liked them but never joined the herd until well into the 90's.

ROB

My first car was a 73 Challenger 318 3spd stick paid 800 for it.I drove it for awhile then a buddy painted it white with blue flames and murals(early80s).That only stayed that way for a couple of weeks I got tired of being stopped by the local police.

I went to the local Dodge dealer and had them order anything they could for the car and I would stop in every Tues and pay them a portion of my wages.I wish I had the parts from that car now,fenders ,hoods, door shells you name it I had it.

Then I lost my job at 18 and had to sell it all,mom wouldnt let me keep it in the garage. The guy that bought was going to put a 350 in it for some unknown reason.

74 duster in june, got it off of ebay 08. I was 14 when we went to get it ( 15 as of december), and gas was 4.10. its B1 blue, 198 6, 3 speed console, 2.76 7.25, and perfect interior with buckets and a canopy that looks brand new.

My first car was given to me by my parents, a 1980 ford fairmont wagon. It was baby blue with a 2.3 and a 4 speed. the first car i bought was a 1971 charger for only 500 bucks. that one was about 5 different rattle can colors and had a 318 and three on the tree trans.

I bought my first car when I was 13 from my aunt for 25 bucks. It was a 1961 Renault Dauphine that she drove to college and hated every minute of it. When I got it, it had no reverse, no bumpers, and no side view mirrors. Even so, that little car ran darn good and would go anywhere. That thing was built like a tank for a car of its size. Me and my friends would take it about 40 mph and flip it over for fun in the pasture behind my house just for fun. It never got hurt doin it. You could open and shut the doors to pop the dents out of the roof. Back in those days you could run all over the roads up here in the western NC mountians with out ever getting pulled over and even though I was 13, I drove that car all over the place. I was going to drive it to high school but by the time I was 16 it began to jump time real bad. No matter how many times you set it the darn thing would start skipping within a mile or so. It turns out that the drive gear on the bottom of the distributor had wore out to the point that it would skip a tooth as the car ran. I tried to locate the parts to fix it but by that time the Renault/AMC dealers quit getting the parts and the cars were obsolete in the junk yards. Alas, it sat and I went out and bought a 1961 Cadillac Coupe Deville for 325 bucks. After two years of sitting in the same pasture that I used to roll it in, my mom sold it to some guy for guess what ????? 25 bucks !!:cheers:

renault_dauphine_large.jpg

My first was a 69 Custom, 318 auto 7.25 that my Dad bought in Arkansas is 1977, since then I've had 11 other Darts all 68, 69 or 70.

vbpgimage.php

My brothers best friend ordered a 66 Formula S, dark blue 4-speed. I fell in love with it at age 14!!! I started working at the hometown Plymouth dealership my junior year hoping someone would trade one in!!! Near the end of my senior year, an older woman came in to trade her 66 Valiant 200 on a 70 Sport Satellite - it only had 18,000 miles on it. The white paint looked a little gray, she told me that the only time it got washed over the four years she owned it was when God provided rain! I bought it for $1,800, found a can of machine glaze back in the shop and spent two weeks of my spare time cleaning one panel at a time. It looked showroom ready when it was finished!!! Drove it to school into Pittsburgh for 2 years when gas was 24.9 a gallon and another 3 years to work. My wife cried when I sold it - she loved that car!!! Hence my fixation with 66 Cudas and my purchase of a 66 Signet from bustedknuckles for my wife. Our second car was a 72 Dart Swinger/6 904 - red w/black vinyl top and interior!!!

my first car was a 65 dodge coronet 330 2dr. post car i bought for 75.00 dollars from a buddy of mine it was a 383 4spd car posi rear my dad was very pissed when he found out i bought it because he had looked at it with me and told me didn't need a car like that but i bought it anyway with money i had earned from part time job after school i drove it for about 3 months till i ran it out of oil one day and spun 2 mains was gonna cost too much to fix so i sold it for 75.00 right before i joined the marine corps when i came home it was still around the neighborhood but i never could get ahold of the guy who owned it to try to buy it back i kept my eye on it for about a year and kept trying to contact the owner but no luck and then one day it was gone and in its place was an old chevy truck never have seen it since too bad too it was in really great shape and very complete i really miss that car been looking for another one like it ever since oh well maybe some day

1969 caprice. Bought for $10 in 77. Engine was in pieces in the trunk except for block, crank, pistons/rods. It had sat so long that way, and water had gotten in the bores, that there were 1/8" pits in the cylinder bores, and the piston crowns were corroded so bad by the time they were clean I'd taken half the thickness away! Ran a glaze breaker in the bores, cleaned the pistons. cleaned the crank with emery cloth, put it together and ran it for almost 2 years before I sold it for what I had in it.

1969 Buick skylark GS Black with alum. mags---installed a sweet sound system with a sub-woofer but at that time is was for hearing RUSH,THEWHO,TEDNUGENT,AC/DC,STYX
It was all original with 50,000 miles on it,Sold it to a buddie and he wrapped it around a tree.He didn't get hurt but man If we weren't so stupid I would have put that car away somewhere -this was back in 1983 and I was 18 at the time--My parents had no idea I was buying the car and boy were they mad at me!!!!!!

I purchased a 1968 GTX 440 auto in June 1973. I still have the car. I'll try to find some old pics of it "back in the day" to post.

-
Back