Whats a 4 speed fell like

-
6 speed over a 4 any day! That said you can get a 6 speed auto and it be an auto-manual. You can put it in manual mode and tap shift through the gears and when you get bored or tired put it in auto mode. Plus no matter how fast you think you are at shifting gears, an auto will hand you your *** every time.

I love to shift myself. I will do it till the left leg cannot handle it. :burnout:

My right hip is sore as h*ll for kick starting a 500cc 2 cycle dirt bike too many times. I wonder if a 4 speed would balance it out and make the left hip hurt just as much. Haven't ever had a 4sp muscle car, just VWs.

There are exceptions to every rule. Rare exceptions, in this category. We're talking a high-level generalized comparo here. Autos rule at the track.

Auto's rule the track yes, but not a absolute rule of the track.

As myself goes, at the track, it is an automatic.
In the street, it is a stick.

My right hip is sore as h*ll for kick starting a 500cc 2 cycle dirt bike too many times. I wonder if a 4 speed would balance it out and make the left hip hurt just as much. Haven't ever had a 4sp muscle car, just VWs.
My daddy had a 72 I believe ford truck that would put a hurting on your left hip if you really need one.As "practice" he would make me hold the clutch in while we were sitting still for a few mins.It was a nightmare but if you learn on the hard stuff everything else is easy.

drive a stick every day at work-- gets old---in town

Had a stick as a teen-- 1964 El Camino,327/ close ratio muncie-- that was fun, I wasn't too adventurous then-- but leaving dual tires marks on the highway through 3 gears was fun.

you just have to dump the clutch when you have a manual at some point!
Lawrence

i have both. both are fun. but like they say. nothing like going out. dumping the clutch and leaving duals for a few gears. better get some good slide-a-link bars, super stock springs and a snubber or something though so you don't leave a drive shaft on the groung. not that I would know. lol

I converted a '70 /6 904 Dart to 318 O/D 4 speed. I found most of the parts at reasonable prices and I'm way happy with the outcome. Doing a swap is not terribly difficult but for a lot of people I would suggest buying a manual shift car if that is what you want. I still need to find a one year only floor shift column or settle for a later one. Like most cars that start getting modified, you always find the next thing to upgrade. I have an 8 3/4 but want to build a Dana 60 for it because I have several big blocks and a 308 bearing heavy duty A833 that would be fun to put in the smaller A-body. This is my first stick shift conversion and all previous mopar were autos except the '83 van that donated its motor and bellhousing to the Dart. This car is lots of fun to drive and not rare so I am not bothered about modifying it. I say on the street 4 speeds are way more fun.

some thought of ronnie sox,...i thoght ol ricky smith was pretty good at grabbin all 4 as well,...had a 71 340 wedge X heads,A833 4speed car back in the 90s,..was a 7.20 car in the 8th,...car had spent its life since 73 drag only,...lunched straight,..tote'd front end even,..but body had so much flex to it could jack ether front tire a foot off ground an hardly lift other side of car,...funnest car i ever had!! but it needed frame connectors an a cage,..an any race 4 speed needs a blow proof bell housing!! think any track would require the bell housing...ever seen where a fly wheel an clutch pack came threw floor an dash,youd understand!!

There are exceptions to every rule. Rare exceptions, in this category. We're talking a high-level generalized comparo here. Autos rule at the track.

So if auto's rule at the track why doesn't pro stock all use auto's?

For a fun car to drive and enjoy there is nothing like a stick car. The only type of racing that auto's do very well in is drag racing.. There are allot more racing leagues out there with faster cars that use a stick...

Driving a Mopar with a 4 speed is an experience no one should do without at least once in their life! :burnout:

I got the opportunity to drive a 69 Dart 340 4 speed car about 12 years ago. Got to pull it up around 6000 rpm in the first 3 gears. We were haulin a$$. It shifted smooth as butter. I was hooked after that. About 2 years ago I bought a 67 Dart. It now has a 340 with auto and a stall. But now I have gathered all the parts to swap in a 4 speed. Dang I can't wait.

I had a 340 4 speed Duster back in the eighties and it was the most fun I ever had in a car. On Sundays I make a trip to the industrial warehouse area where I worked and let loose! I revved the engine up, sidestepped the clutch, stomped it and never lifted! I "know" I revved this thing well over 6000 but it never missed a beat. No way an automatic can match that adrenalin rush! I can only imagine what my latest Duster with a 414 stroker pushing 511 ft;lbs. is gonna feel like behind a stick. I'm foaming at the mouth already!!!!!!!! :burnout:

A 727 "whines" jus' not as much as a 4 spd. Try driving around with no carpet or padding on the floor. You will hear a 727 "whine" while you are slowing down and it is downshifting. But as far as the discussion, I'd lean towards the automatic.

In my opinion an automatic transmission with a full manual valve body is the most fun. You get the benefit of a torque converter but still get to choose the gear.

I had a 340 4 speed Duster back in the eighties and it was the most fun I ever had in a car. On Sundays I make a trip to the industrial warehouse area where I worked and let loose! I revved the engine up, sidestepped the clutch, stomped it and never lifted! I "know" I revved this thing well over 6000 but it never missed a beat. No way an automatic can match that adrenalin rush! I can only imagine what my latest Duster with a 414 stroker pushing 511 ft;lbs. is gonna feel like behind a stick. I'm foaming at the mouth already!!!!!!!! :burnout:
exactly!! rev it up bout 3500 rpm an du that side step,..turnt mine up bout 7500,...just lay my foot on clutch,..just nuff to feel pressure plate an grab that pistol grip an rip 2nd gear never leting of the gas peddle,front end come up like its on hydrolics!! heads slamming the high back buckets!! best feeling in the world...miss it,..gotta build anutter to feel it again!!

I hate automatics. My daily driver is a 5-speed and my weekend fun car is a 4-speed. Everyone told me it would get old to shift gears constantly...sorry, it still hasn't gotten old.

-
Back