Whats a 4 speed fell like

-
over the years I had 22 four speed Mopars, including 3 hemi's, 4 440 six packs and 2 340 six packs.440's, 383's 340's etc. all motors, all body styles...you name it. There is nothing like the feel of a four speed car !

A nicely working 4-spd is no doubt great fun in an a body with a V8 of any flavor. I put a Southbend DXD clutch in my Duster at one point and had enough fun with it over the course of a few years to basically beat the living shyt out of the old A833. That's one reason the handshaker is sitting in the corner waiting to be rebuilt now.

No a 4sp is faster.A well built auto is more consistent but that if you have a well built 4sp.Something to think about.I would take a clutchless 4sp any day over a well built auto. Just saying the best class to check this out is SSH class Mark
True this ^ ^. So the answer the question is probably something like fun and slow(er).

No a 4sp is faster.A well built auto is more consistent but that if you have a well built 4sp.Something to think about.I would take a clutchless 4sp any day over a well built auto. Just saying the best class to check this out is SSH class Mark
We're talking about a daily driver with stock-type stuff, you know A833 - not Lencos and high end pro stuff like that.

I will never forget probably about 1980 we were cruisin in my buddy's 360 auto Duster and a Camaro 302 4 speed pulled up beside and proceeded to humilate the hell out of us like a cat with a really small mouse. That bastard traumatized me LOL! Never again!

I know but you can't compare a well built auto against a stock 833.I was putting them in the correct forum.Plus SSH don't use lencos and you can get a vary nice jeico for the daily driver.I am not putting any one of them down I happen to like them both.When I raced with my dart it was 4sp. weekly and auto weekends.Still got to love that 4sp feel. Mark
We're talking about a daily driver with stock-type stuff, you know A833 - not Lencos and high end pro stuff like that.

The thing to me about "feeling more power" is the 4 speed can be left in a lower gear and the throttle burped for a head jerking experiance and the clutch comes in handy when you want to gas it and dump the clutch for a major burn out and grab a second.The other advantage is you can put any size cam in front of a stick shift where the auto will need a converter swop to match.An auto can be as fun if you know how to drive one.As far as actaully having more power,its all in the gearing.A high horse engine with high gears may get beat by a lower powered motor with the right gears.I personally like a 5 speed.

Your arm feels like your digging a mile long, foot deep ditch with a shovel when rowing gears in traffic. Gets old. Just sayin. You can manual shift a auto in stock fourm.

Glad to see you decided to not let the car get the best of you.

Your arm feels like your digging a mile long, foot deep ditch with a shovel when rowing gears in traffic. Gets old. Just sayin. You can manual shift a auto in stock fourm.

Glad to see you decided to not let the car get the best of you.

You can but you will wait till its ready. My cheetah manual valve body lays rubber like a 4 speed. Bangs gears almost like a manual trans.

My car is a little "rougher" after installing the four-speed, especially letting off during shifts or decel. I'm thinking I may stab an auto with manual-friendly valve body mods in it.

four gears good... unlimited stall great ..slamming gears=fun!!

I absolutely LOVE 4 seed cars. So damn much fun. I wish every single time I drive my 68 cuda which has a hot 318 and a built 904, with 3000 stall, that is was a 4 speed car instead...I have almost all the parts to swap over, with a rebuilt 833, new clutch and flywheel. I just need time to do it. One day it'll be a 4 speed...one day....

....love the 4 speed....LOL

I know everyone like to rave about how stout the A833 is, and the 18-spline hemi inputs certainly are even more so. But the problem with the 4-spd/fun combination is the tranny becomes the drivetrain weak link in a high-powered-car with good traction.

I know everyone like to rave about how stout the A833 is, and the 18-spline hemi inputs certainly are even more so. But the problem with the 4-spd/fun combination is the tranny becomes the drivetrain weak link in a high-powered-car with good traction.

From my experience an 8 3/4 will let go before an 833 will.

I have always been a 4 speed fan. I have owned and driven several a and b body cars over the years.
Go for it, but my word of to advice to you is make sure you get a COMPLETE set up for your car and don't fool around trying to mix and match parts. Install new bushings, clips, etc. in the linkage or you'll HATE it. Make sure the transmission is good inside.
Converting to a 4 speed can be VERY expensive and frustrating especially if you try to cut corners.

Four speeds are fun and when you're young you don't get tired of shifting.

But, Dartnut is right. Converting it and getting it all to work like it should so you can enjoy driving the car will be 10x more aggravating than anything you've been through. Sometimes you have to just be content with things about your car, and be happy.

I was always a 4-speed guy till I put power steering and an automatic in my Willys wagon... wheeling was way more fun and less tiring... then I got a job that had a nasty commute.. 45 minutes or more in stop and go traffic.... loved the automatic for that too! I still like both, depends on what I'm doing.

The 4-speed is fun to drive, but not the way to go fast. It's literally impossible for a human using a clutch and stick to achieve anything approaching the efficiency of a well built auto with the right torque converter combo.

LOL, tell that to the winners the mow down the field.
The one car that comes to mind is the winner on Pinks in a early Duster.

Tooting my own horn, I have been asked many times what stall speed converter or what shift kit i have in the trans I run in my Cuda.
I smile and point to the pistol grip stick.

Stick shifts have zero or near zero slippage. They consume less horse power than an automatic.

For road driving, road racing, road touring, they rule and with good parts and a clean install and properly set up are double the enjoyment and way more efficient than a loose converter automatic (excluding efficiently set up lock up TC systems).

On the other hand, if your stick shift system is all jibbered up and a cobble of junky worn out poorly assembled parts it can be a cantankerous and massive pain in the butt to drive.
I have had this situation when I was young, and in that case, a near stock 904 with a manual valve body was way more enjoyable.

The one car that comes to mind is the winner on Pinks in a early Duster.
There are exceptions to every rule. Rare exceptions, in this category. We're talking a high-level generalized comparo here. Autos rule at the track.
Stick shifts have zero or near zero slippage.
Tell that to the guys who smoked a new clutch.
For road driving, road racing, road touring, they rule and with good parts and a clean install and properly set up are double the enjoyment and way more efficient than a loose converter automatic (excluding efficiently set up lock up TC systems).
So you are comparing a good stick to a sloppy auto? Look up "apples and oranges." Anybody who is serious about the subjects which you speak know better than to use a stock torque converter and valve body. You'll be looking at taillights coming out of the turns after breaking traction rowing for the right gear. OTOH...
...if your stick shift system is all jibbered up and a cobble of junky worn out poorly assembled parts it can be a cantankerous and massive pain in the butt to drive.
Which ALWAYS happens to every manual transmission that ever hit the road if it was driven aggressively far enough or long enough behind enough power. And MUCH sooner than an auto in an apples-to-apples comparison behind a powerful engine.

I have owned both and they both have their advantages. My 340 Duster had a Hurst shifter with the heavy rods and I beat the snot out of it!! It was harder on u-joints, clutches and rear tires, but was LOADS of fun!

I'm building a 408 now for Saturday night cruising and have decided to stay with the rebuilt 727 that's in there now. It has a Trans-go shift kit and a Hurst shifter so it's still a little fun to run through the gears, but I think it will be more forgiving as I get used to driving a 500 hp car. Plus, it's harder to bang gears with a beer between your legs!! j/k

BTW I have most of the parts necessary to swap over to a 833 in the barn if I get the urge again...

Its a beautiful thing

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 266
-
Back