Whats everyone running for gears?

What are you running for rear gears

• Total voters
-
I've took the 4.10's out of my Challenger and put the stock 323's back in and love 'em. On the Dart , I've got the 4.88's and if they reopen the 8th mile track 3mi. down the road (a few are fighting it, of course) I'll be good, otherwise I've got a set of 4.10's for that one. The Dart is not a driver per say, its more of a show/drag car. The Challenger on the other hand is a #'s matching cream puff.

just replaced my 2.76 open rear in my 7.25. she is in the shop now getting a 2.94 suregrip put in. Curious too know if I will notice a considerable difference off the line???

4:30s with a 4 speed in a 71 duster 340' My superbird has 3:55s, and my Lil Red express has 3:55s as well. oh and my 04 ram has 3:92s

4:30s in my duster, 3:55s in the superbird and lil red express, oh and 3:92 s in my hemi ram

Hey Joe,
What stall are you using with the 2.94 and how tall of a tire? Are you running the low gear set?

had 355's in My GTX with 26 inch tires...was nice
had 410's in My Bee with 29 inch tires...ran on the highway like 355's
Have 323's in My demon with 26 inch tires and they do well just need a little coaxing off the line. Great on gas

I actually drive mine like an everyday car and dont like getting pasted on the hiway by Kias and Hyuadis I run 2.71 with 24 inch tires turns 2600 at 70mph

Yeah that is the thing. Freeway speeds have finally pick up here in Michigan. Well first off this time of the year people drive the fastest. Once winter comes then everybody--even me, lol--slows down so the car stays in control. Takes months for some folks to drive fast again.

U can do an honest 75 mph now and have a few cars past you every few mins. My ride has 3.91 and 27 inch tires and it can do 90 for long distances without heating up--even in 90 plus summer heat. My short stroke 340 seems happy as can be, my wallet on the other hand gets beat up from the poor gas mileage.

That is the best reason I see to run taller gears, to get better mpg. We have interstates and traffic does move at 70 plus most times.

Why I like to put the 3.23 back in but 55 mph and under the 3.91's seem perfect.

Oh btw--I had quieter mufflers install last week, run dual mufflers on each pipe, one at the stock location, the other near the rear bumper. The tach shows 3,500 or more on the freeway but you can use the cell phone, very cool. If it had a loud "cool" exhaust sound around town then it be too loud on the freeway's

3.91's with a 26.8 tire isn't bad at all around town, it does 45-50 mph happy and smooth. I use 2nd gear going up to 20 mph and shift in to 3rd around 30 mph part throttle. 1st gear is a screamer making turns from a stop. You want a motor that is happy shifting at 6,000 rpm's plus or it might drive better with a 3.55 gear.

70--75 mph for long hourly drives is the bummer. Its a waste of fuel, slow it down to 60 mph and all is better--expect your a traffic hazard in heavy traffic as everybody else wants to zip past you "sitting on the highway".

If it ever gets 3.23 again it be so it can go happily on long 300 mile trips--like to cool,fun Indy

In my '74 Duster (100% street car) : 3.23's with a Sure Grip 489 Chunk and 28x10-14 tires on the back. With a 727, Manual Shift and a '70 Challenger Slapstik Shifter.

Plenty of room to wind out before it hits the rev limiter, and still hot off the line. A huge improvement over the 2.45's that my car had originally, it made even the 340 feel like a turd :wack:

i am using 4tens and athree thousand stall with a 904 tranny lots of fun

Do you like the mini spool on the street??

I hear so many that tell me to not run a spool on the street??

it is very hard on the street, first of all you go through lots of tires also i have no power steering so its pretty hard to drive. definitely a work out and as u could guess not a auto cross car for sure!!

So with p/s...you could use one ok??

If you don't snap an axle.

The spool locks both tires-axles together. On tight turns--which race cars do not do--the inside wheel wants to turn faster than the outside wheel, the outside wheel will not let it and one tire will break traction and hop, that is hard on the axles. In the rain its Ok cause the tires loose traction easily but on dry pavement it stinks.

No power steering is helpful cause you tend to make wider turns

In Target parking lot all the women shoppers will be staring at your car wondering what is wrong with it as you park it and the tires are groaning, lol

3.91's with a 325/50 15 which is 28"s tall, in a 72 Duster with a worked 360/ iron close ratio 4 speed. Great for tearing up the streets.

-
Back