What's the cheapest way to install and exhaust system on a big block a body

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
What's the cheapest way to install an exhaust system on a big block a body... 400 big block 727 trans....B body headers or B or C body manifolds....this is not a race car...thanks for your help....71 duster /6.. K member ...

20231014_130117.jpg

20231011_123527.jpg

What's the cheapest way to install an exhaust system on a big block a body... 400 big block 727 trans....B body headers or B or C body manifolds....this is not a race car...thanks for your help....71 duster /6.. K member ...

View attachment 1716153754

View attachment 1716153755

Cheapest would probably be self made and exits in front of the rear tires.
Hedders are a PIA with a big block in an A body.
Especially if you plan on having power steering.

Might not be that cheapest, but stock exhaust manifolds and pipes that can just bolt in in the correct locations

Find out who bends and installs exhaust systems for cash (typically a guy who works at Meinakee or Monroe does it on the side) or if you are really tite funded. 2 header mufflers bolted to a set of headers. 2 90 degree dumps and 2 hangers. That’s cheap….
Sorry but there is nothing “cheap” any longer.

The dirt cheapest is probably going to be the B body HP manifolds, if you're willing to cut the steering column housing up to the firewall and run a floor shifter. With 2.5" pipes right off the manifolds, they will flow more than most people give them credit for.

Perfect information thank you rob that is what I will be searching for I just sold a set of GTs manifolds the correct ones and had this thing in a demon but needed the cash and maxwedge had it...lmao

Actually just the driver side any seems to work on the passenger side

I had the old emission style log manifold on the passenger side and had good clearance

20231014_141310.jpg

Or do manifolds need to be a matched pair?

Or do manifolds need to be a matched pair?
I guess it depends on you. "I" would want a matched pair.....or AT LEAST two HP manifolds since they have the larger outlets. That way you could at least run 2.5" pipes right off the manifolds. The non HP manifolds have like 1 7/8 outlets. Not very conducive to any kind of performance.

I might use headman B body headers 78030...I even know exactly where to dent them.....$311 shipped

IMG_2035.JPG

9115-d825d82532de05bc52e0c70c53b0e25c.jpg

9116-d4ca35252367d6ce59f062ca6f4d2775.jpg

I found a used set of fenderwell headers and ran 3" exhaust just under the rocker panel exiting in front of the rear tire. For mufflers I used 11" header slip in collector mufflers.

If I were doing a A-body big block swap, I would assume it's for performance reasons. To me, a vintage non smog performance car needs headers.
So, my budget answer would be: a set of cheap, uncoated big block b-body headers, as many "adjustments", dings and dents as it would take to make em fit, and a cheap jegs or summit chassis specific header -back kit, with whatever mufflers I want to run. (I would probably run jegs or Summit. Flowmaster knockoffs, I like the tone, as big as I could fit under the car.)

If you're looking for cheap, it's hard to beat picking up some tubing of your choice and spending the time gluing it together with a trusty welder. That's how I tackled the temporary exhaust on my big block '66 Dart.

1697325005361.png

No such thing as cheap headers anymore. We did big block B-body headers in a 71 Demon and had to cut several tubes on the drivers side and remake them. Only way to do a cheap header set-up is to buy them used and get out the torches and hammers...

No such thing as cheap headers anymore. We did big block B-body headers in a 71 Demon and had to cut several tubes on the drivers side and remake them. Only way to do a cheap header set-up is to buy them used and get out the torches and hammers...
All that's needed with the 78030 header swap is a torch and ball peen hammer. move the steering column neck back and manual steering.
I wouldn't think twice about using them again.

All that's needed with the 78030 header swap is a torch and ball peen hammer. move the steering column neck back and manual steering.
I wouldn't think twice about using them again.
There have been some guys report that those headers drop in the 67 and up cars. Most say they had to ding here and there, but they are obviously close in any case.

As others said hedman b body headers. I have them on my 71 dart with a 400 I think I only had to ding them to clear the steering column near the firewall. It’s a manual steering car.

Awesome...mine is also manual steering 71 duster...but it's a /6 k member with home-made brackets....hmmmm...no telling how much higher or lower it will sit....it was in one of my Demons with same kmember...but had 383 GTS manifolds

-
Back