where to find 8.75 sure grip units used

-
Unless somebody has no idea what it is, you will probably NOT find one for $200. I'd get laughed at and told to go home for $200.

The new ones are better off avoided. Mopar shipped a ton of units with bad heat treat on the side/spider gears. I got one, and it lasted all of 8 passes, after a cone unit had held the same car for two years. This is the reason these are very hard to find right now, and Mopar hasn't shipped any for a long while.

There are a couple of vendors that sell replacement internal gears with the correct hardness, but who's to say the "new" one you're buying has the good gears or not? And if it doesn't the damn gears cost almost as much as a vintage clutch sure grip.

I ordered a set of the "good gears" for mine, and they seemed to work ok, but I got tired of worrying about it and put a detroit locker in the car.

I have the clutch sure grip hog-head sitting on the shelf. Id say its a back up, but I am not real worried about breaking the locker.

Unless somebody has no idea what it is, you will probably NOT find one for $200. I'd get laughed at and told to go home for $200.
I was talking about a Sure-Grip diff by itself not a complete 3rd just for clarification. I dont think that is that much of a stretch.

I was talking about a Sure-Grip diff by itself not a complete 3rd just for clarification. I dont think that is that much of a stretch.

OK, heres the scoop on pricing of just the center sections with SG units. I have sold more than a few over the years and I have also seen various pricing, mostly way over priced. My general rule is this...

3:23SG=$300.00
3:55SG=$350.00
3:91SG=$400.00
4:10SG=$450.00

Usually anything over a 4:10 or under a 3:23 is sold to a limited market and finding them is not as common, so I am quoting prices for the most common ratios. Also, most people tend to want the 489 case or 742, although there is nothing wrong with the 741, it doesn't sell as quickly as the larger pinion shafted models. The 742 case is my personal fav and I have them in all my cars.

There is also a mis-nomer that the "cone" style SureGrip unit is inferior and not rebuildable, but that is simply no the case. By design, the cone style unit is considered a superior design due to the clutch design being just that...clutches that can slip. The cone style uses a centrifugal outward pressure on the case itself, and as long as the unit is functioning properly, slipping is all but eliminated. The cone style is also rebuildable, but takes more than just replacing clutches and discs, but it can be done easily with just minor machining, provided that the case itself is not scored.

I personally have all clutch style 742's in all my cars, and seek out these because I have them and extra gearsets for them, so I can interchange units and parts if desired, but any 8 3/4" is fine IMO!! Good luck with your search, Geof

OK, heres the scoop on pricing of just the center sections with SG units. I have sold more than a few over the years and I have also seen various pricing, mostly way over priced. My general rule is this...

Usually anything over a 4:10 or under a 3:23 is sold to a limited market and finding them is not as common, so I am quoting prices for the most common ratios. Also, most people tend to want the 489 case or 742, although there is nothing wrong with the 741, it doesn't sell as quickly as the larger pinion shafted models. The 742 case is my personal fav and I have them in all my cars.

There is also a mis-nomer that the "cone" style SureGrip unit is inferior and not rebuildable, but that is simply no the case. By design, the cone style unit is considered a superior design due to the clutch design being just that...clutches that can slip. The cone style uses a centrifugal outward pressure on the case itself, and as long as the unit is functioning properly, slipping is all but eliminated. The cone style is also rebuildable, but takes more than just replacing clutches and discs, but it can be done easily with just minor machining, provided that the case itself is not scored.

I personally have all clutch style 742's in all my cars, and seek out these because I have them and extra gearsets for them, so I can interchange units and parts if desired, but any 8 3/4" is fine IMO!! Good luck with your search, Geof
So basically you cant get them without them being complete 3rd members? $300 is reasonable for the 3.23, how much is shipping? I already have 2 742 diffs one with 4.10s and a locker and another with 2.76s that I want a SG for.

Things must be a lot cheaper in MI. Around me you can't touch hardly any ready to bolt in clutch type 489 or 742 case unit for less than $500 even if it has 3:23 gears.

As for the mis-nomer of not being able to rebuild a cone type, I respectfully can't agree with that. Reason is I have torn apart several cone types that were junk due to the housing being egg shaped where the cones ride and a few that the cross pin was very loose and all wollered out and a couple more that the side and spider gears were broken on. Clutch types are a 4 pinion unit (much heavier duty) and you generally don't see any problem with the spiders/side gears or case. I have rebuilt several clutch types and never ran into a single problem rebuilding with them with anything more than a clutch pack set. Are cone types rebuildable, yes, some are...but not all are. Are cone types inferior, I think so do to the 2 pinion design and a case that can wear out... Just my .02

Complete 3rd member?? You mean just the center section or just the SG unit itself?? Of course you can just get the SG unit and install it into your center section, just look about and you'll probably find one. Try Moparts and ebay, I'm sure you'll find one!!

And to fishy68, of course I respect your opinion, I've seen you post several times about the subject of rear ends. And, as stated on my post, the housing for the cone style needs to be unscored and all else needs to be useable in order to rebuild it. I was speaking to the public who stands behind the notion that once it's not working, it's junk!! And, as also stated, I also use only the clutch pack style SG for obvious reasons, but I would certainly also use a cone style if non other was available!! And speaking to the price, I also mentioned that most units for sale are overpriced, and to me $500.00 is overpriced!! Geof

And to fishy68, of course I respect your opinion, I've seen you post several times about the subject of rear ends. And, as stated on my post, the housing for the cone style needs to be unscored and all else needs to be useable in order to rebuild it. I was speaking to the public who stands behind the notion that once it's not working, it's junk!! And, as also stated, I also use only the clutch pack style SG for obvious reasons, but I would certainly also use a cone style if non other was available!! And speaking to the price, I also mentioned that most units for sale are overpriced, and to me $500.00 is overpriced!! Geof

Gotcha Geoff. I too think $500 is overpriced but that's what I see them sell for most of the time. And sometimes a lot more than that. Tracy

-
Back