Where were you on 9/11/01

-
I'll never forget. Etched upon my brain. Even went as far as getting a tatoo with the "original" US flag and the words "DON"T TREAD ON ME".
I had taken the day off to remove old/install new Edlebrock carb on my Barracuda. Woke up and had turned on CNN to catch up on some news, as I was in Chi-town for work for the previous 4 days. As I watched the coverage after the first plane had hit the tower, they had cut to a live feed from a reporter on a nearby rooftop. I watched in horror and disbelief as they showed the second plane coming into view, and hitting the tower. I couldn't believe what my eyes just saw! I watched news feeds all day until 4 p.m. in the afternoon. That evening over at a friends house, we were standing outside having some beers and talking about what had happened that day, when we both looked up in the night sky and noticed how quiet it was (I live about 15 minutes north of Detroit Metro airport, and all flights were cancelled) with the exception for the fighter jets flying from north to south and east to west. Totally eerie. I'll never forget!

I was working in a dealership service department when a salesman came in talking about how a plane hit one of the towers. I thought the same thing as 340wedge and others, it must have been a small private plane or something. The salesman said no, it was a big plane. I remember arguing with him because "big planes" just don't do that. We walked into the waiting room just in time to watch the second plane hit.

I will never forget.

Long drive to work (Lived about 12 miles or so from where Flight 93 crashed) and heard the small plane crash story on the radio morning show. After a while I turned to the news station for better coverage. We had a construction meeting for a project that morning and in the trailer, the contractor's wife called to say a plane also went down near Shanksville, Pa. Had a shortened meeting and early lunch at a restaurant in order to watch TV. Spent many hours there watching the towers over and over again.

The next few days were spent trying to contact a friend in New York and one that worked in the Pentagon.

Most moving moments were the memorial service for Flight 93 held on the steps to the courthouse in Somerset, PA a couple of days later (Thousands of people in the middle of the street) and the caring message written on the back window of a car belonging to a young couple.

I had the day off and was in the bathroom. I live right against the Hudson River and in the flight path for Military Stewart Air Force Base. I hear C5's all the time low and loud but this day I heard a plane that sounded like a VERY loud reverse thrust. It was so loud I looked out the window and saw a passenger Jet barely over the tree tops. My house being on a hill, I was looking straight into passenger windows and could tell you the color of people's shirts. About 15 minutes later my wife told me a plane hit the twin towers which I figured was a Cessna or something and no big deal. It was later I realized the plane I saw one of the planes that was flying using the Hudson River as a guide to the towers that day.

That's crazy.

I was driving to college and heard it on the radio. At first I thought it was a joke. Most of my classes were canceled. It was a very sobering day.

My wife had gone to work and I was still at home to take the kids to school. The neighbor called and she was frantic so I ran over to see what it was all about. We watched as the news media replayed the video of the first plane hitting the tower and the story began to unfold. I made calls to my wife and family and called the school and kept the kids home. It was scary because we didn't know when or if it would end. And now they want to build a mosque a couple blocks away. Check out this video and post your thoughts. Mike
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFzFIDbKpg"]YouTube - Of Mosques and Men: Reflections on the Ground Zero Mosque[/ame]

Started the morning as usual, loading my truck when I got word the World Trade Center was hit by a plane. All the employee's including myself were distracted for some time as we watched the events unfold. After the 2 planes hit I was on my way making a delivery to D.C. from Columbia, MD when I got a call from my supervisor. He said that now the Pentagon was hit by a plane! Needless to say I abruptly turned around and hauled a$$ back to the shop. I could have been right there. My route took me right past the pentagon.

I had just gotten off my bus in 5th grade when I heard about it.... My friends' mom came running up to us at the stop saying "The World Trade Center has just been attacked! Get home quick!" I didn't know what any of that was but I started to figure it out when I got home and saw my grandma watching replay clips of it on TV. The rest of the day was eerily quiet and went by slowly as though the whole world had paused. The following days in school were spent talking about what happened... Things definitely felt different after that. My condolences to all the families and friends of the victims, I can't imagine the grief to have known someone harmed in the attack personally...

I was in the sixth grade on my way to school on the bus and my teacher was playing the new on the radio

I was leaving for work at about 5 in the morning. Listening to Bob Rivers on KZOK, he said there had been some news of a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I thought the same thing, "Idiot private pilot, how can you hit that"

Got to work and before i could see any video i looked for images and there was one of the second plane hitting. From the scale and the angle of the image it still looked like a small commuter or business jet. then i read a bit more, Holy **it.

We lived about a 1/4 mile from the south end of the runway at Seatac, and the rest of the week was real surreal how quiet it was.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlC9dLzfDfc"]YouTube - Budweiser Clydesdales tribute to 9/11[/ame]

Budweiser Clydesdales tribute to 9/11
At work heard the news break on the radio went to the TV to watch the 2nd tower get hit

I too remember it like it was yesterday. I was on shift at the station when the first plane hit but hadn't heard about it until the next shift came in and told us about it. We turned on the tv and as soon as I saw tower 1 burning I knew we had been attacked. I watched for about an hour and then hurried home to get things secured and prepare to go back to work. I figured Chicago was next and that's close enough to get to within an hour. I never got called in again that day and spent a lot of time looking out the window at the planes in the distance landing at O'Hare which is about 40 miles east of me. I was home alone, my wife (gf at the time) was at nursing school. I called her and made sure she was aware. It sure did change the fire service but I feel that America has forgotten what happened that day as I see us allowing more and more changes in government that don't protect what America stands for. I will NEVER forget.

-
Back