Which basic car batteries Made In USA?

-

goldfish65

Reaction score
Been having a hard time getting real answers. When you look at the batteries on store shelves, nowhere on them does it say where they are made. When you ask the guys who work at the parts stores, they don't know. Then there's Made In North America which includes Mexico and Canada. Does anyone know what brands are for sure Made In USA and which stores sell them? Thanks.

Been having a hard time getting real answers. When you look at the batteries on store shelves, nowhere on them does it say where they are made. When you ask the guys who work at the parts stores, they don't know. Then there's Made In North America which includes Mexico and Canada. Does anyone know what brands are for sure Made In USA and which stores sell them? Thanks.

WalMart changed battery suppliers a while back. Theirs are now manufactured by Johnson Controls. Autozone batteries are also made by Johnson Controls. Now where the manufacturing plant is I have no idea.

Deka , Exide , and Diehard are a few that I found searching.

Power Solutions

Johnson Controls is the leading supplier of lead acid batteries for virtually every type of passenger car, light truck or utility vehicle as well as the leading independent supplier of hybrid systems.
Our commitment to world-class technology and manufacturing excellence is reflected in our global brands, including Optima, Varta, LTH and Heliar, as well as through the private labels we supply. We are the leading independent provider of hybrid battery systems that make vehicles more energy efficient. With dedicated research and development centers worldwide, our employees continue to break new ground in the development of advanced batteries.

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/us/en/products/power_solutions.html

Here are the manufacturing plant locations for Johnson Controls in the USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnson Controls Battle Creek
Business Unit: Automotive Experience
Location Type: Production Plant
76 Armstrong Road
Battle Creek, MI 49016 USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnson Controls Bryan
918 S Union Street
Bryan, OH 43506 USA

CRH North America Inc.
2541 7th Street South
Clanton, AL 35045 USA

Johnson Controls Cottondale
15911 Progress Drive
Cottondale, AL 35453 USA

Johnson Controls Bridgewater
4617 W. Fort Street
Detroit, MI 48209 USA

10200 Alabama Hwy 202
Eastaboga, AL 36260 USA

KEIPER LLC
1101 East Eighth Street Eldon
Eldon, MO 65026 USA

Johnson Controls Georgetown
824 Lemons Mill Road
Georgetown, KY 40324 USA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnson Controls Grand Rapids
5050 Kendrick
Grand Rapids, MI 49512 USA

Johnson Controls Highland Park
12775 Oakland Parkway
Highland Park, MI 48203 USA

Johnson Controls Southview
1600 South Washington
Holland, 49423 USA

Johnson Controls Holland
1776 Airport Park Court
Holland, MI 49423 USA

Johnson Controls Maplewood
88 E. 48th Street
Holland, MI 49423 USA

Johnson Controls Lakewood
0919 205 Douglas
Holland, MI 49424 USA

Johnson Controls Kansas City
3700 Kimball Drive
Kansas City, MO 64161 USA

Johnson Controls Kendallville
300 S. Progress Dr East
Kendallville, IN 46755 USA

Johnson Controls Lansing
7009 W. Mt. Hope Hwy
Lansing, MI 48917 USA

2369 South Canal Road
Lansing, MI 48917 USA

Johnson Controls Louisville 1
8161 National Turnpike
Louisville , KY 40214 USA

Johnson Controls Louisville 2
7111 Trade Port Dr
Louisville, KY 40258 USA

Johnson Controls McCalla
6900 Jefferson Metropolitan Pkwy
McCalla, AL 35111 USA

Johnson Controls Monroe
2200 Revard Road
Monroe, MI 48162 USA

Johnson Controls Murfreesboro
1501 Molloy Lane
Murfreesboro, TN 37129 USA

Johnson Controls Northwood
7560 Arbor Drive
Northwood, OH 43619 USA

Johnson Controls Port Huron
2233 Petit Street
Port Huron, MI 48060 USA

Johnson Controls Pulaski
1890 Mines Road
Pulaski, TN 38478 USA

Johnson Controls Romulus
9800 Inkster Road
Romulus, MI 40214 USA

Johnson Controls Avanzar Interior Technologies
1 Lone Star Pass, Building #41
San Antonio, TX 78264 USA

Johnson Controls Shelbyville
1400 Isaac Shelby Drive
Shelbyville, KY 40065 USA

Johnson Controls Shreveport
7144 Westpark Road
Shreveport, LA 71129 USA

Johnson Controls St. Mary's
575 James St. South
St. Mary's, OH 45858 USA

Johnson Controls Sycamore
1701 W. Bethany Road
Sycamore, IL 60178 USA

Johnson Controls Warren Bridgewater
7500 Tank Rd
Warren, MI 48092 USA

Johnson Controls West Point
1700 S. Progress Parkway
West Point, GA 31833 USA

Johnson Controls Service Center Winchester
280 Mutual Ave.
Winchester, KY 40391 USA

i got off the diehard train when sears wouldn't take their Life Time Warranty serious anymore...

always had great luck with Autolite Batteries... had mine in my dart now for 7 years and 3 has been here in AZ, 2 were in Sacramento CA... and hot weather kills batteries...

Exide Is made in the USA.We lost the Walmart account to Johnson Controls new plant in Mexico.I dont buy anything from Walmart that I dont have to.:protest:

All Johnson Controls batteries have "angled corners" on their vent caps. It's their "trademark" so Duralast @ autozone, AutoCraft at advance, and the premium batteries at Walmart. Interstate is also J.C.I.

Thanks guys. So I guess Johnson Controls makes the batteries in the USA for Advance and they are on sale. I think they are going to start making them in China soon and maybe that's why they don't want us focusing on where they are made.

Good info guys. Thanks Goldfish for the question.

The Car Quest brand of batteries are mkade by East Penn and are usa made.Any of our stores can confirm it.It is one of the parts that is taught and tested on of of us at the stores.

I just checked my Optima red top battery and it says on the sticker that it is MFD at Optima Batteries Inc in Aurora, CO. I have had that battery for over 13 years and still going strong, best battery I have ever had!! I bought it for $79.99 at the time, thought it was spendy at the time, probably 3 times that now. But next battery I buy for my Valiant is gonna be another!! Plus, these are gel filled so they are tough, resist heat and vibrations better, but the best is they don't leak acid.

Back in my parts store days, I was told that there was two manufactures.
If the battery has a clear/white case, it is made by Johnson Controls.
If the battery has a black case, it is made by Exide.
It didn't matter whose name is on top of it.

The Car Quest brand of batteries are mkade by East Penn and are usa made.Any of our stores can confirm it.It is one of the parts that is taught and tested on of of us at the stores.

I've been told that East Penn are good quality batteries too.

So Advance has a promotion going on, but to get it they told me I had go to their website and order it to be picked up at the store. I said, really, you're going to let me leave the store and maybe go somewhere else, and make me go to the trouble of ordering online and then coming back? Well, yeah.... I ended up doing that, I guess it's part of their plan to get everybody ordering online. Anyway it was the best deal and it's done. It seems like whatever you try to do nowadays, someone is toying with you...

Oh and this is so typical, on the website was a feature Ask A Question. So I asked 'Where is this battery made?' They came back with a mealy mouthed answer, something like 'we carry the highest quality parts which may come from a variety of sources.' A customer asks a very simple question, it would be nice if they could give a factual answer.

I absolutely hate going to WalMart but I do buy my batteries there. They are great about warranties and WalMart is everywhere if the battery goes bad and you need it replaced. What ever company that was doing WalMart's 9 year batteries were my best friend. I have yet had one of their batteries last thought the 3 year free replacement warranty. I bought my truck in 2003 and just got another free battery about a month ago.

Exide Is made in the USA.We lost the Walmart account to Johnson Controls new plant in Mexico.I dont buy anything from Walmart that I dont have to.:protest:

My dad works for Exide down here in GA... He works in Oxide... If I remember correctly they made the dirhards also.. Dad did say that they have a Chrysler contract and a BMW as well and I am sure a bunch more... He works allot of hours... Been there 35 years...

Speaking of DieHards, I bought 2 Platinums for my Dodge diesel dually after I found out that they are basically relabeled Odyssey batteries! I had an Odyssey in my race car for a while with great results and the DieHard Platinums are the same thing, but less expensive. I don't plan on ever getting a conventional lead/acid battery again for anything I own.

I don't care for a Walmart type warrenty that you can keep going back to replace batteries on a regular basis, even if it's for free. How much is your time worth and how often do you want to risk getting stranded somewhere?

so im thinking for a battery, i was interested in the odyssey but have been reading in other forums that sears diehard platinum was a relabeled odyssey. Like mentioned above. ^^

heres the one i have my eye on...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P

Is that a gel or liquid/acid filled battery? If I'm gonna spend that much it had better be a gel battery, no leaking acid in my engine compartment.

-
Back