Which of these cams would be better 416ci

-

danmax

Reaction score
I am having a stroker 340 built atm 416ci - 10 to 1 comp and stock edelbrock alloy heads -
I need to choose between these two Camtech hydraulic cams

ct18 544 - 234/238 @50 495/502 lift 110 LSA

or

ct18 545 238/245 @50 502/517 109 LSA

This car will be a weekend street driven car with maybe the odd stun at strip trip - looking at 3k stall and 3.5 gears, haven't decided on intake yet as hood clearance may be an issue.

any advice would be appreciated

The rule is for street car, aleay use the smaller cam. Much better drivability and NO noticable gain without gears and stall converter

Not true for a stroker. If those cams are designed for a 318-360 they will be much milder in the stroker. The extra stroke of the 416 eats up the duration. I would call the cam manufacturer and see which one they recommend.

Brian, Ted is right though you make a good point. I'll say your not 100% accurate on this rather than wrong because the stroke increase does indeed eat up more duration easier than a shorter stroke does. This the requirement of a larger cam for the stroker to perform the same outlet on a increased level vs. the shorter stroke cam in return per cam spec as in the effect it has on each engine.
(In how a big cam is radical on a 273 but tame on a 400+)

So, I a sense, I'm agreeing with you.

Danmax, considering you have a 3K converter and 3.55's, I myself would use the smaller cam listed above.

If you can order a custom cam from the company, asked them for a cam with more lift as to get the most from the Edelbrock heads and in the duration best suited for your driving and where you cruise at rpm wise. Also consider the use of 1.6 ratio rockers to get added lift that may not be available.

You didn't mention the size of the tire to be used. This has an effect.
I believe that the converter is more of a limiting factor over everything else.

Both of those cams are on the small side for a stroker. I think either would be fine on the street.

Way too small for my taste on a stroker. I like the 240-250ish @ .050 and I would lift the valve in the .600 range. You will loose .040 lift with the valve train geometry. So those cams you chose will both be lifting at the valve mid .450 ish or so. What CFM do those heads flow at .450 isn?? May as well just use your stock heads if you going to pick one of those cams, especially on a stroker, It will be a DOG in my opinion.

On the engine in my scamp right now I have a 242@50 Indy RHS X Heads done by Brian at IMM Engines, Lift at the valve is .634 using 1.6 Rockers. Solid Roller driven all over the place on the street. Ultimate Converter, 3.91 gears with 28" tall tire

You wouldn't notice much if any difference in those camshafts. 4* of intake duration at .050.

They are both on the small side for a stroker and I'd go with the larger one. They will both likely be dead at around 5300 rpm

I did a 416 stocker in my duster last year, went with the lunati voodoo. Very happy!!!

Brian, Ted is right though you make a good point. I'll say your not 100% accurate on this rather than wrong because the stroke increase does indeed eat up more duration easier than a shorter stroke does. This the requirement of a larger cam for the stroker to perform the same outlet on a increased level vs. the shorter stroke cam in return per cam spec as in the effect it has on each engine.
(In how a big cam is radical on a 273 but tame on a 400

Wouldn't be because a 416 is about 22% larger and needs 22% more air flow for any given rpm over a 340 and since most built small blocks runs basically the same top end (flow potential). So the 416 requires more cam (eats/tame) because the engine is under head compared to a similar prepped 340??

Way too small for my taste on a stroker. I like the 240-250ish @ .050 and I would lift the valve in the .600 range. You will loose .040 lift with the valve train geometry. So those cams you chose will both be lifting at the valve mid .450 ish or so. What CFM do those heads flow at .450 isn?? May as well just use your stock heads if you going to pick one of those cams, especially on a stroker, It will be a DOG in my opinion.

On the engine in my scamp right now I have a 242@50 Indy RHS X Heads done by Brian at IMM Engines, Lift at the valve is .634 using 1.6 Rockers. Solid Roller driven all over the place on the street. Ultimate Converter, 3.91 gears with 28" tall tire

I'm with Louis on this one. I'd go with more lift and a little more duration than those cams for a stroker.

Dan, my $.02 Comp XE-285HL its a 110* stick and since you are running that head you are probably running1.5:1 rockers. I assume?
Of all the cams I ran through the simulator nothing came close to this one. I know its just a sim, but after a while if you run enough sims you notice patterns. This is the cam I will be running.
just my .02
Andrew

Running a Comp 282S in my 390stroker. 236/236 @50 and .495 lift. To some this is small. I will upgrade when I change converters most likely.

About a year ago i speced a mild Bullet hydraulic flat tap pet for a customer with a 416 in a 70 challenger, he wanted it as a good daily week-driver but still with plenty of Ballz.

I don't have the lobe profile in front of me but it was a single pattern 237/237 @.050 with iirc .525 lift on a wide 112 spread and in at 108. This was one of their hotter .200 lift lobes and it works awesomely with his factory manifolds and performer RPM intake. With strokers you want to run as big an intake lobe as you can....very near to the point where you bigger would start to kill torque at the bottom of your INTENDED RPM range. The biggest mistake I see people make is they put too small an intake duration on it and it doesn't have enough seat to seat time to make decent power above 5000.

The Comp 236/236 solid would compare at .050 to a 226/226 hydraulic at idle and low speed but the .200 numbers would be more like the 237/237 I described. A solid will be more responsive due to its much lighter valve train (tappet mass)

So of the 2 you've chosen I would go with the slightly bigger one. With a true 3400 stall in a good 9 1/2 converter and at least a 3.55 gear with headers I'd look at a ~242/247 at .050 custom grind Bullet Grind and about .550 lift on 109 and in at 105.

Camtech also have a couple of solid cam options
do you think that they may be better suited?

244/248@50 517/526 lift LSA 109

248/252@50 526/534 lift LSA 109

ps not really stuck on 3k stall happy to go little higher and tyres are 26 inch

also what intake manifold options do i have other than performer rpm - need hood clearance

Are you still going with the 3.55 gears?

26" tire and 3.55 gears work very well on a stroker combo on the street! The torque gets the car moving very quickly and you can carry the gear a long ways before the shift!

The bigger cam is what i would go with although i would want more lift, near 600. see if you can call bullet or one of the good builders to make a cam.

Depends what you want to do with the car Dan, do you want it to be a bit cranky sounding or something that sounds like a relatively stock idle and still goes well being what the car is.

If you are wanting something a bit stealthy I would stay with the smaller cams, especially with the 3000rpm converter and 3.5 gears. With this type of combo I would go with a Performer RPM non airgap as it will give a more factory appearance all painted up than the air gap.

If you go up in converter and gears then the bigger cam will suit and you could go to a single plane inlet.

Not sure much more lift than what these cams have will be of any use if the Edelbrock heads are stock, mine peaked flowed at just over 500 thou lift out of the box.

I have a 410 in my Barracuda. 232/237@ .050 , 520 lift. At Vegas it ran 12.34 and 108 with 3.23 gears and full exhaust. I shifted @ 6000. It gets 15 MPG on the road, nice loppy idle and great street manners.
Does that sound like to Small a cam? NO scoop, that was when I only raced it .

I would go with the bigger cam. Strokers do eat up the duration, and lay down a PILE of torque.

For what its worth, my stroker has a relatively small solid roller 248/254 with .576/.582 lift, 10.8:1 compression, ported Edelbrocks. It runs mid 10's and is driven all over town, back and forth to the race track, pretty much can drive where ever I want... I just can't get too far away from gas stations, lol.

Hi Dan

You've seen the Duster and I'm running a old school Mopar 528 mech with these specs
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241 int./241 exh
Advertised Duration: 284 int./284 exh
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.528 int./0.528 exh
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112

10.5 comp, OOB Edelbrocks and a set of headman headers with 3500 stall, 3.91 rear and 28" tyres.
The exhaust and no port work is holding it back along with the old school cam and edlebrock str 1-2 intake.

Cam is on the small side and a larger in dur and lift solid roller would make a big difference.
Cheers

250 to 260 @ 50 108 to 110 in the 550 plus lift, for a street car, for a better street car 260 to 280 @50 108 and 600 plus. Definitely roller or just put a stock 318 in it and drive

No dual plane with a 1.5 RR motor, thats just killing performance

The RR is what makes and changes everything, you want big ports and big intakes.

-
Back