Who Makes Cams

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so im looking for anybody who makes customs grinds for slant cams...

so i know:

comp
Erson
Schneider

im looking into crower...

is racer brown still around??

oregon cams:
http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/
they have some of dutra's special grinds as i recall

the only thing they (oregon) have close is a 266 @ .050 duration...

Schneider already said they can get around .550 after lash at 254 @ .050...

i put an email to crower as well with no response yet...

if i get the cam i want its gonna be a wicked **** for sure...

already planning on a tear down after mats, gonna do some tricks to the bottom end and probably more compression... so i figure get a stick that fits!

just have to see what they think 8* of duration will do on the line and trap rpm.. i dont want to go above 6300 lol

Two Companies I've used:

Clifford Resaearch has cams for the Slant Six.

Crane cams will grind you one. Had a Crane in a '63 225 Valiant wagon in the 70s. It worked really well.

Two Companies I've used:

Clifford Resaearch has cams for the Slant Six.

Crane cams will grind you one. Had a Crane in a '63 225 Valiant wagon in the 70s. It worked really well.

is crane still around? i thought they got bought up? and i'll pass on clifford...

Ok so i called Schneider and got some things hashed out...

NO cam grinders are making blanks for the slant six anymore... if they want they can buy a batch of 200 blanks...

so then i asked about what other options i had... he said that the most you can get out of the stocker regrind is about a .360 lobe lift or .504 valve lift before lash...

then i asked about a roller and they have a guy who can do the blank for the slant... its about 1000 bucks for the cam which would need a bronze oil pump gear. basically any specs you want on it... just need 440 rollers and probably modified stabilizer bars...

well a grand isn't in my budget so im just gonna have to build my own roller rockers lol...

Call lunati, talk to steve. They will have to track down a core, have been using them for all my custom grinds since reed tanked. Got a really sweet slant cam made last year.
May be best to call isky, get the core, and send to lunati to grind. Used to run a 248/253 .508 grind in my slant.

Replaced one of cliffords old school too much overlap mullet grinds with the new lunato, car picked up considerably. Think efficiency with the slant, not a lot of " to work with, so build as much cyl pressure as poss without sending it out the exhaust.
108 lobe sep worked best for me at 12:1
Set up icl at 104.

thanks for the link

Try this site for the Racer Brown Cams.
www.4secondsflat.com/newindex.html

or another link with a difft phone number

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Racer_Brown_Cam_Specs.html

racers are nice... Edd has some in the demon

Call lunati, talk to steve. They will have to track down a core, have been using them for all my custom grinds since reed tanked. Got a really sweet slant cam made last year.
May be best to call isky, get the core, and send to lunati to grind. Used to run a 248/253 .508 grind in my slant.

see 508 is just not there... i'll give them a ring though...

Replaced one of cliffords old school too much overlap mullet grinds with the new lunato, car picked up considerably. Think efficiency with the slant, not a lot of " to work with, so build as much cyl pressure as poss without sending it out the exhaust.
108 lobe sep worked best for me at 12:1
Set up icl at 104.

see rob (SS) and i were going back and forth about LSA and ICL... he is on your thought line with the wide LSA you'll pick up cyl pressure but most slant guys run a 104-106 LSA cam (myself included) lol

ok so
ive sent an email to
crane
lunati
isky
crower
racer brown...

and thats wild... will give engle an email to!

The lunati was 247/253 @.050, .540/.550 lift range. I wouldnt drop the lobe centers past 108, and icl ahead any more than 102-104.
Will start getting real peaky, have flat spots and wont perform well in upper rpm.
This is just what i learned when i was playing with slants. (that, and dont go over 30% nitromethane)
CharlieS, slantzilla, and perhaps slantcecil can shed some light for you if ya catch them in the rite mood.

The lunati was 247/253 @.050, .540/.550 lift range. I wouldnt drop the lobe centers past 108, and icl ahead any more than 102-104.
Will start getting real peaky, have flat spots and wont perform well in upper rpm.
This is just what i learned when i was playing with slants. (that, and dont go over 30% nitromethane)
CharlieS, slantzilla, and perhaps slantcecil can shed some light for you if ya catch them in the rite mood.

was that valve lift after lash?

yea im thinking a 108 on a 104...

30% huh? then what?? boom?

They have real short lash ramps, .014-.016
Also have much more aggressive stuff, just remember the shorter (tighter) the lash ramps, the sooner the lift velocity starts to accelerate. Can only go so far to the 'edge' of the lifter safely then bad things start to happen.
Boomed 5 blocks. 15-20% ran safely, for a while. Much more started bending cranks & rods, esp over 6500. shattered top rings if timing/fuel wasnt just rite. When the frz plugs are full of oil, its time for rings.

They have real short lash ramps, .014-.016
Also have much more aggressive stuff, just remember the shorter (tighter) the lash ramps, the sooner the lift velocity starts to accelerate. Can only go so far to the 'edge' of the lifter safely then bad things start to happen.
Boomed 5 blocks. 15-20% ran safely, for a while. Much more started bending cranks & rods, esp over 6500. shattered top rings if timing/fuel wasnt just rite. When the frz plugs are full of oil, its time for rings.

yea i like fast ramps... better everything except if the lifter bounces or gouges...

faster ramps tend to wear out 'faster' as well.lol

cam choice should take head flow/flow ratio into consideration.imo

The 225 seems to take to the 100-106 centerlines in order to get them to rpm.ime if they are slouchy on the bottom cause you have a cam that doesnt turn till 3200 or whatever rpm, u might need more gear &/or convertor

faster ramps tend to wear out 'faster' as well.lol

cam choice should take head flow/flow ratio into consideration.imo

The 225 seems to take to the 100-106 centerlines in order to get them turning or to rpm, ime

and there is the other side of the coin...

and head flow is what im looking at for the given lift but what is the ratio?

had flow ratio would be the the exhaust flowing a certain percentage of the int flow, ideally in the 'opinions very' range..lol

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

just type in like whats 70 percent of the intake flow..and see how close it is to your actual exhaust flow, it will help determine rpm ability

so i have more exh flow than 70%... 200>70%=140 actual was 162 at 500 and 550

-
Back