Who's in the path of Irene?

-
Don't flame me, but I hope he takes some pics. I've never seen a real bad one like that and I heard Irene's gonna be a real ball buster.

Back in 92 when Andrew went across the state it cleared everything. One year later we drove through and it was still bare land.

Earthquake on Tuesday, now we are preparing for Irene, predicting 70 mph winds. Economy in the tank , What next?:happy1:

To all the folks that are in the path of Irene Please rethink riding this one out and take some pictures of your home and property that is dated for your insurance co.
start pre-cooking foods with protein likes beans and hamburger meat and get them frozen along with milk and bread.
If you have any extra cell phones your sims card will fit get them charged up.
if you have a gas grill snag up a couple extra bottles for cooking.
All of you on the coast line Now would be a good time to head west for a long camping trip
Top off the gas tanks and look at this as a long vacation away from your homes.
Mother nature is on the move and this does include the animals :blob: so it would be smart to have protection:blob::blob: these animals will be pushed out of there homes to, so a side arm would be a must if it was me!! allot of people will be bugging out and some times the worst comes out in them and thievery to survive could happen with all the millions of population yall have over there.... I know I am no expert on this but I have been in a couple of disasters in the past and it seems there is allot of good people out there ready to help, But there is allot of bad people out there that will do most anything because of the scattered law enforcement... All I have to offer is a prayer to all off you to make the right move on this storm.
This is the worse scenario, so pack up if you are in the path and take picture's of what you are leaving behind.
There has only been 5 of these hit New York since 1851 and from what I have learned there is millions of population there.

The window is closing to get out, If you need to evacuate do so, If you stay stock up and be smart and safe, over 12'' of rain and heavy winds are heading to the folks even off the cost line's. :banghead:

Just your red neck Arkansas friends thoughts and care for yall over there in these big cities and in the path of Irene, May she weaken and head westward.
So please chime in and keep us updated East coast members

Storm is supposed to hit us starting Saturday night into Sunday. I am currently stuffing all the outdoor furniture in the shop and taking our awning down.
The wife is already in panic!

Yup, going to come right over the top of me in Va beach, I'll take some good video and post it up on my youtube acct. I'm a storm freek and since I'm moving to Michigan next month and this will be my last Hurricane I would like to enjoy it a bit!

Oh, yeah....For Memike, the guns are loaded and at the ready, screw the dishonest people out there!!

I'll post storm video here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/IFOJ4x4

Yup, going to come right over the top of me in Va beach, I'll take some good video and post it up on my youtube acct. I'm a storm freek and since I'm moving to Michigan next month and this will be my last Hurricane I would like to enjoy it a bit!

Oh, yeah....For Memike, the guns are loaded and at the ready!!

Try standing on a cars hood doing 130 mph.
and watch out for those 30' waves of sea water :cheers:
I seen a video of a mail box come flying into a home and embedding it into a refrigerator yooper822, enjoy and be careful, there won't be birds flying around it will be anything that don't have wings :hello2:

Try standing on a cars hood doing 130 mph.
and watch out for those 30' waves of sea water :cheers:
I seen a video of a mail box come flying into a home and embedding it into a refrigerator yooper822, enjoy and be careful, there won't be birds flying around it will be anything that don't have wings :hello2:

Yeah, the image that sticks with me is the partial sheet of plywood that penetrated a telephone pole like it was a surgeons knife. No joke for sure.

Well the good thing is I'm out of my house so that responsibility and worry is over, I'm just looking forward to it although I will miss the semi enclosed south pointing "Hurricane" deck at the house where we mixed marguritas and watched the world blow by at 100+ mph. :happy1:

Yeah, the image that sticks with me is the partial sheet of plywood that penetrated a telephone pole like it was a surgeons knife. No joke for sure.

Well the good thing is I'm out of my house so that responsibility and worry is over, I'm just looking forward to it although I will miss the semi enclosed south pointing "Hurricane" deck at the house where we mixed marguritas and watched the world blow by at 100+ mph. :happy1:
Enjoy and stay safe sir :cheers:, jump in and keep us updated on your safety and your location when you can. how is the sky line looking to your southeast at this time from where you are at ? Can you feel a small northwestern breeze about know ?

memike all well said, I've been down here in Fl for 27 years now and weathered out alot of hurricanes and I don't think I will do any more. I know I would not do Irene. Everyone stay safe and God Bless!

Enjoy and stay safe sir :cheers:, jump in and keep us updated on your safety and your location when you can. how is the sky line looking to your southeast at this time from where you are at ? Can you feel a small northwestern breeze about know ?

Actually the temps have been a little cooler and last night was awesome here. Some rain last night and the breeze has picked up just a little. We really need a lot of rain on this one because of the Dismal Swamp fire that is only about 10% contained and burning in the ground. it's been a pretty smokey month or so around these parts.

I'll try to keep updating but I'm sure at some point we will loose power. I may end up running some stuff off the 3000 watt inverter I have hardwired in the jeep? All the tanks are full and were ready for this one. Truth be known if this looks like it's going to be really ugly, I'm packed and ready to go jeeping in the mountains of PA over the weekend.

memike all well said, I've been down here in Fl for 27 years now and weathered out alot of hurricanes and I don't think I will do any more. I know I would not do Irene. Everyone stay safe and God Bless!

Thank you f8valiant :hello2: I am seeing how strong Irene is in Florida right now and Irene is over 100 miles away from there and the coast line is getting pounded right now:sad5:

In the path here as well. Got all the non perishable food stocked up, cars gassed up, propane tank full, ammo, and all the loose stuff from the yard is locked up.
On a good note, they're saying 75-80MPH here with up to 10" of rain, so although it won't be a strong as some of you more southern residents, our trees here are very old and really tall. We have some oaks here that are HUGE. Thankfully they're far enough away from the house that only the top branches will reach us, but they can still do a lot of damage.
Worst part for me will be surviving with no electric. I absolutely hate that. LOL

Stay safe all.

George

Actually the temps have been a little cooler and last night was awesome here. Some rain last night and the breeze has picked up just a little. We really need a lot of rain on this one because of the Dismal Swamp fire that is only about 10% contained and burning in the ground. it's been a pretty smokey month or so around these parts.

I'll try to keep updating but I'm sure at some point we will loose power. I may end up running some stuff off the 3000 watt inverter I have hardwired in the jeep? All the tanks are full and were ready for this one. Truth be known if this looks like it's going to be really ugly, I'm packed and ready to go jeeping in the mountains of PA over the weekend.

It's good to hear the area is getting some bad need rain :cheers:
It has been a hot and dry one here this year, YET!! This morning at 5 am it was 67 degrees!! Shocking cool weather for sure for us.
Site in that 22 mag or what ever you have :D some good fresh meat to go in a pot of beans would be nice :hello2:

In the path here as well. Got all the non perishable food stocked up, cars gassed up, propane tank full, ammo, and all the loose stuff from the yard is locked up.
On a good note, they're saying 75-80MPH here with up to 10" of rain, so although it won't be a strong as some of you more southern residents, our trees here are very old and really tall. We have some oaks here that are HUGE. Thankfully they're far enough away from the house that only the top branches will reach us, but they can still do a lot of damage.
Worst part for me will be surviving with no electric. I absolutely hate that. LOL

Stay safe all.

George
Yes George, 75 to 85 mph winds can do allot of damage and like you say it will most likely take main power lines down, so it would be a good time to pre- cook some food and freeze it and gallon jugs of ice.
I don't ever want to go threw 8 days of no power again, it was in the winter so keeping food fresh was no big deal, we could not even get into town for three long days because of all the tree down along the roads, But we did have a young gun in town with a 4 wheeler drive out and bring some bottled gas to us, along with these damned cigarettes that helped, I quit before that storm for about 7 weeks I think and I did have a 3/4 of a carton in the closet for the family stranded here during an ice storm.

Attachments

• storm%20089.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 153
  • storm%20135.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 144
  • storm%20107.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 2009_01_28_7398.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 163
  • lawson.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 158
We dodged another one here in Jacksonville.

Storm.jpg

To little to late, but dry air from here on the hill has been sent to Irene to weaken her just 30 minutes ago.

Looking to the south east from my old home place Prayers sent.

Attachments

• nfl graft night 016.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 11.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 153
Power loss can be the tough part. I charge up car batteries and bring them indoors. I have accumulated survival equipment to get us by for days.
A small dc to ac inverter, 3 port lighter well, portable tv/radio that will operate on dc.
Free standing cast iron stove with vent free propane log set. One hard line telephone.
Stove top coffee perculator.
best wishes to anyone in the storms path.

Should have little impact other than a little wind/rain here west of DC. When I was stationed on Guam, all you could do was ride it out. In May '76 went through the pleasure of Typhoon Pamela (winds in excess of 170MPH as measured by C130 storm chasers at the eye) right over the island. There wasn't a bird, bug or snail to be found anywhere after it departed!

So far, so good here. Besides not having power since noon today it has been a lot better than what we had expected. The power transformer exploded on the telephone pole just outside my house today. There's a tree limb (about a foot in diameter) down in my driveway but it did not hit any cars. We got lucky in three ways here, first the hurricane weakened considerably just before making landfall. Second thing was it changed course and moved more to the east and thirdly, it picked up in forward speed so (although it is still unloading on us as I type) it should clear out faster. We are still experiencing some strong gusts as the west side of the eye just passed by. If it doesn't get any worse than this then I think we'll be okay. Unfortunately a boy was killed in Newport News when a tree came down and removed a large section of his apartment. A surfer in Va. Beach was also drowned in the heavy surf. If there is any silver lining to this storm it was that people listened to the warnings, heeded the advise of the authorities and prepared for it, saving lives. We've also had a fire burning in the Dismal Swamp for weeks and this storm may have finally extinguished it.

Longgone, I too thought about the fires and smoke being extinguished. We have a daughter and grandson in Hampton and another daughter in Norfolk. Thank God they went to our other daughters in Raleigh, NC before the storm hit. In NC, they lost power for awhile, and a small tree came down in their driveway, but that was it. Don't know what they will find when they return home. You are saying it's not too bad where you are?

Thanks and prayers for everyone.

If ya can...git yur asses out of there.......it's taken the roof off my cribb before and torn down plenty of projectiles.....never knew what a danger my home was till I started rebuilding it......It's safer than it was but i'm finding a block home if a bad one comes this way again:prayer:...if the wind or the rain dont git ya the six or seven day's with no power will make you rethink stayin next time.....lady at cvs thought I was crazy when I offered five bucks to microwave me some popcorn......that was a great meal.....but then again it had some good times too....made my dad and stepmom grilled spisghetti...that was good eatin's......thank gawd the wind was keepin the mosquito's away....that was the best meal ever....had a friend that worked at the sewer plant....let us go there for showers.....ahhhhhh simple pleasures...if you can git someplace safe....git there......don't take the risk........JMO.........Wagg's

Oh boy! Its 0100 in Woodbright NJ and its raining hard, wind is starting to pick up in bursts. The kids are asleep in the downstairs hallway. Wife and I are sitting right next to them. The eye of Irene is still a few hours away too!
basement is slightly wet cause power went out a few times and 2 sump pumps can't keep up.
I would love to start drinking but gotta stay clear for the enemy is approaching....and my Dart is out on the driveway, nowhere else to stash her.
Can't wait till this crap is over...and it is only beginning...

Oh boy! Its 0100 in Woodbright NJ and its raining hard, wind is starting to pick up in bursts. The kids are asleep in the downstairs hallway. Wife and I are sitting right next to them. The eye of Irene is still a few hours away too!
basement is slightly wet cause power went out a few times and 2 sump pumps can't keep up.
I would love to start drinking but gotta stay clear for the enemy is approaching....and my Dart is out on the driveway, nowhere else to stash her.
Can't wait till this crap is over...and it is only beginning...
keep ur head down bud stay safe

Longgone, I too thought about the fires and smoke being extinguished. We have a daughter and grandson in Hampton and another daughter in Norfolk. Thank God they went to our other daughters in Raleigh, NC before the storm hit. In NC, they lost power for awhile, and a small tree came down in their driveway, but that was it. Don't know what they will find when they return home. You are saying it's not too bad where you are?

Thanks and prayers for everyone.

This storm dumped a lot of rain and experts said it would take 6 inches of rain to put out the Dismal Swamp fire. Well this should've done it! I don't want to downplay this storm because it still isn't out of here yet, but it was a lot less of everything than what we had expected and prepared for. Although it was still categorized as a ONE when it reached us we never experienced a sustained wind of 75 mph. Hampton and Norfolk got a lot of flooding because of the angle of the storm in relation to the river inlets. I believe (for the most part) that we've dodged a bullet on this one. We have been very fortunate so far, I hope it continues.

-
Back