Who's in the path of Irene?

-
This storm dumped a lot of rain and experts said it would take 6 inches of rain to put out the Dismal Swamp fire. Well this should've done it! I don't want to downplay this storm because it still isn't out of here yet, but it was a lot less of everything than what we had expected and prepared for. Although it was still categorized as a ONE when it reached us we never experienced a sustained wind of 75 mph. Hampton and Norfolk got a lot of flooding because of the angle of the storm in relation to the river inlets. I believe (for the most part) that we've dodged a bullet on this one. We have been very fortunate so far, I hope it continues.
Well we are still thinking for u guys over here

Woodbridge NJ...08000 Storm is surrounding us but its in a quiet lull. Light rain, 25mph gusts. Media states much more to come.
So far we lost power 7 hours ago and the basement has 4 inches, and 1 tree down in the yard.
Its 5'oclock somewhere.

I'm in northwest CT. and the eye of the storm is going to be right over us within the next hour . We,re getting pounded with heavy rain, and wind, but lucklily still have power. It sounds like most of CT. has lost power.........

Just got power back at 7PM Sunday, it went out last night about midnight. We had a few limbs come, some fairly large in size and a small leak around one wnidow. Storm lasted for about 16 hours, wasn't as strong as Isabel but lasted alot longer with a lot more rain.

We're safe and sound here in Va.. What a ride though, power has been out since Saturday around noon and it was just restored this evening. That was rather quick as there are still 300K without power. There are trees down everywhere and it seems to be worse as you drive towards Williamsburg and Richmond. I'm hoping that the rest of you guys out there that are impacted by this storm get through it safely and without distress.

Just got power back at 8:00pm. Lost it for 13 hrs. Not too bad for a big storm! Luckily all went well! Thank God!!

Well, we have survived! It was worse than I expected for a Cat 1 storm. We actually got a lot more damage to the house with this one than we have in the past 10 years living here. Luckily, today ended up as a nice summer sunny day.
We lost power at 9pm Friday night. It was really windy and rainy and just went downhill from that as the night went on. Due to the amount of wind and rain, we couldn't open any windows and it got really hot and humid in the house. They eye passed about 8am and was really impressive. The sound in the woods behind our house and the unsettling sound of the shingles peeling up, slamming down, then flying off was concerning. They the roof began to leak later yesterday afternoon as the winds switched around to the Northwest. That is the front of our house and the wind and rain was so fierce it was blowing between the boards of our mahogany front door. Since our house is built in the edge of a farm field, there was little protection to the wind, but on the flip side, we didn't have to worry about any trees coming down on us. There are some really large pecan and oak trees down in the area. Our generator was a blessing to keep the freezers at a reasonable temperature although I only ran them a couple of hours at a time since we didn't know how long power was going to be out. Once the rain quit (we got around 7-10 inches), we were able to open the windows which lowered the inside temps some. Power came back on about 5 am this morning for us, but we know that there are hundreds of thousands without. I haven't been down to the cabin on Bogue sound yet to check on the flooding. It was my understanding that some of the down east areas got wind gusts at 115 and a 5-8 foot storm surge. For many of the homes down there, that will be waist high in their homes. From what I can tell, we lost about 1/4 of the shingles off our house (they are spread all over). We will most likely put a new roof on the house which is nothing compared to what many are going to be dealing with...

-
Back