Why are American Racing Torq Thrust VN205 wheels so expensive?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
American racing makes a bunch of variations of this classic wheel style including some in the 17”-18” range.

The cast aluminum VN215 in a 17x8 seems to hold a retail price around $180 which is pretty darned reasonable.

Meanwhile, the slightly different looking but also CAST aluminum VN205 in a similar size will run in the $600 range.

Of course, the VN205s seem to look a little better but 2.5x better? Not sure about that.

So what gives? Is anyone running modern sized Torq Thrust wheels? How did you pick yours?

The same thing that makes you want them makes other people want them also...then the distributor knows that and they drive the price up ..venders know what the peoples choice award is..its the most sold product...now its price mark up time.

Same thing my wife have thought about for many years. Seems to be a marketing game. If we shop for furniture or household items, appliances, or electronics, it's usually the most expensive items we like. Back in the early 70s, I went through at least 2 cars and a motorcycle every year. I would give someone a steal of a deal to get rid of one so I could buy the next greatest thing. And motorcycle magazines would help it along. This months perfection would be a p.o.s. in 6 months because of something so much better. And I fell for it for a while. At some point you have to realize you can't keep up with the manufacturers.

VN205's are a made to order, 2 piece, custom wheel. So enter the labor to build and handle your order.

American racing makes a bunch of variations of this classic wheel style including some in the 17”-18” range.

The cast aluminum VN215 in a 17x8 seems to hold a retail price around $180 which is pretty darned reasonable.

Meanwhile, the slightly different looking but also CAST aluminum VN205 in a similar size will run in the $600 range.

Of course, the VN205s seem to look a little better but 2.5x better? Not sure about that.

So what gives? Is anyone running modern sized Torq Thrust wheels? How did you pick yours?
Are you sure about the "VN205". I can't seem to find that number at Summit or even American Racing websites.

Ok. Got it. Two piece with cast center, forged barrel.

Get some Mustang take offs and have the centers media blasted.

WOW!
Just looked at American Racing pricing - MSRP $595 for one wheel?
That's crazy - I wonder if anybody pays MSRP...

I couldn't find the vn205s either, but I'm positive Dano is right, those are probably the custom shop number. I have some custom shop 15x12 tt2, but I don't remember the number off hand. The pair was a shade over $800 at the time.
Also, numbers change. I have some polished ttd's that are vn501, says so cast right into the wheel. The vn501s now are an entirely different wheel.

WOW!
Just looked at American Racing pricing - MSRP $595 for one wheel?
That's crazy - I wonder if anybody pays MSRP...
One of the reasons the torque thrusts are so popular. Can probably get a set of four for about that price.
Then again, the 200s's that I want are summit price over $500 each, don't know what msrp is.
Light racing beadlocks for big slicks can run $1600, each.

The same thing that makes you want them makes other people want them also...then the distributor knows that and they drive the price up ..venders know what the peoples choice award is..its the most sold product...now its price mark up time.
Exactly! Why are Mercedes so expensive? Consumer Reports does not like them, but people want to appear successful so they keep buying them.

And just over a year ago I bought VN205 15''x 5'' for less than $150 each.
The $1200 price for 2 is almost as much as my whole car is worth !
IMG_0003.JPG

My custom AR (Torq Thrust SL VN425) wheels, I ordered about 5-6 years ago in 17x7 and 17x8 with 19mm offsets were about $1300 for all 4 shipped. Looks like the price of them went up $1k. Seems in line with aluminum, look at the price of an intake or cast valve covers. Heads will be next.

I got them here.
American Racing Wheels for Sale | Wheels for Less

Its sickening to see so many sweet reasonably priced wheels that come in every offset you want as long as its "0".

Last edited:
I think the VN215 vs VN205 question is pretty well covered.

I’m a little lost without the Tires N’ Rims tire wheel figment calculator…so bear with me. I didn’t want to start a new thread for this one….

The off the shelf VN215 sizes are somewhat limited but unless I screwed up, the 17x8 5.48” backspace would be pretty darned good for the front, should avoid the tie rod and also would (hopefully) allow a 245/45/17 to clear everything else.

They offer a 17x8 4.5” backspace which would to the job for the rear but they also offer 17x9.5 5.56” backspace. This would be a much better choice for the 275/40/17s…but would they fit on the rear ofDuster/Demon/Sport with a body 8.75?

I’m a little lost without the Tires N’ Rims tire wheel figment calculator…so bear with me. I didn’t want to start a new thread for this one….

The off the shelf VN215 sizes are somewhat limited but unless I screwed up, the 17x8 5.48” backspace would be pretty darned good for the front, should avoid the tie rod and also would (hopefully) allow a 245/45/17 to clear everything else.

They offer a 17x8 4.5” backspace which would to the job for the rear but they also offer 17x9.5 5.56” backspace. This would be a much better choice for the 275/40/17s…but would they fit on the rear ofDuster/Demon/Sport with a body 8.75?
Well the 17x8 is zero offset, while the 17x9.5 has an extra quarter inch or so of the additional width added to the backside (I don't bother trying to understand or remember which direction positive or negative metric offset is, cause I don't care.) With the wider wheel with more backspace, you can use a spacer to get it exactly where you want it, if its too close to the spring.

Well the 17x8 is zero offset, while the 17x9.5 has an extra quarter inch or so of the additional width added to the backside (I don't bother trying to understand or remember which direction positive or negative metric offset is, cause I don't care.) With the wider wheel with more backspace, you can use a spacer to get it exactly where you want it, if its too close to the spring.

Thanks...So you may be right that the spacer is all it takes but I'm not sure. These wheels will be .75" greater on each side the extra inch of backspace means I could be closer to the fender right off the bat. I have trouble visualizing it myself so I used to rely on the Rims n' Tires tool that has since been taken off line. With stock wheel wells, a 275 is a tight fit between the spring on one side and the fender on the other so being off just a little bit could be a deal breaker. I'm not opposed to rolling the fender (I massaged it a bit to use my current wheels) but I'd really rather not do anything as invasive as spring relocation or tubbing.

Well the difference betwe3en the two is an inch and a half, and the 17x9.5 has more than an inch more backspace. So the wider wheel will be slightly under a half inch closer to the fender, and more than an inch closer to the spring. It really comes down to how much total space you have between the spring and the fender, as to how much tire you can run. And remember, any given tire will have more section width on a wider rim.
And remember, wheel widths are measured between the beads, so aluminum wheels are usually an inch wider than what they are rated . The 17x8 is nine inches wide, thats why 4.5 backspace is considered zero offset.
All in all, the 17x8 will be much easier to fit, if you have the room for the tire you want to run.

Well the difference betwe3en the two is an inch and a half, and the 17x9.5 has more than an inch more backspace. So the wider wheel will be slightly under a half inch closer to the fender, and more than an inch closer to the spring. It really comes down to how much total space you have between the spring and the fender, as to how much tire you can run. And remember, any given tire will have more section width on a wider rim.
And remember, wheel widths are measured between the beads, so aluminum wheels are usually an inch wider than what they are rated . The 17x8 is nine inches wide, thats why 4.5 backspace is considered zero offset.
All in all, the 17x8 will be much easier to fit, if you have the room for the tire you want to run.

Much appreciated…and given this, I’m virtually positive that some significant modding would be needed to make this size work.

I just picked up a set of 17x9.5 torque thrust 2 did mock up with tires 275/40/17 thay will rub on stock springs and stick out of wheel well I will be moving my spring in 3.1/2 on each side and may still have to roll lip picture is of 17x7 with 225/45/17 bearly fits

95B981FB-6787-4712-9C43-CA686423A916.jpeg

17x9.5" with 5.56" backspace would be right at the springs with a 275/40/17. If you went to disk brakes in the back you might be ok. Or a small spacer, 3/8" should do it. 8 3/4 with BBP axles should put the wheel mounting surface about 6" from the springs. Normally I estimate a 1/2" of tire overhang and a 1/2" of clearance, but that's an estimate. On 17x9.5's the 275's won't end up a full 1/2" past the outer lip of the rim, the section is like 11" at most but the 9.5's are actually 10.5" wide outside-outside lip. So you're only looking at ~1/4" of tire overhang. And while I estimate a 1/2" clearance, with 17's or 18's you can run less because you've got less sidewall. I've run as little as 5/16" with 275/35/18's. I didn't like it, but it never rubbed.

I just picked up a set of 17x9.5 torque thrust 2 did mock up with tires 275/40/17 thay will rub on stock springs and stick out of wheel well I will be moving my spring in 3.1/2 on each side and may still have to roll lip picture is of 17x7 with 225/45/17 bearly fits

View attachment 1715880673

But that's a Dart. The OP's Dart Sport has the same quarters and wheel wells as a Demon/Duster, which are 1" wider to the outside than a regular hard top Dart. Widest you can fit on most Dart's with stock springs is a 255, and that doesn't work for everyone. On a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport you can get 275's in there with the stock spring locations and little to no quarter lip trimming. Totally different outer wheelhouses.

View attachment 1715880673
Sorry did not notice the dart demon part well with inflation even my 2 cents isn’t worth 2 cents lol

I think that some models of American Racing Wheels are made overseas (read: China) and some are still produced in the USA. That would make a massive difference in retail pricing.

-
Back