Why only one speaker in the rear?.

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
Does anyone with a 68 barracuda have rear speakers on both sides of the quarters. I was wondering if there was a reason there is only a speaker opening one the passenger side and not the drivers side. I didn't know if maybe there was a safety issue since the fuel filler tube is on the drivers side. Or does mine only have one speaker instead of two. Thank you for your help.

On a fastback,that opening is actually for a rear window defroster.
I cant imagine two speakers back there firing at each other would give any decent sound.Plus with the rear seat up, um, no I just can't imagine it.
My factory radio just fills the hole in the dash. It's not connected to anything.Never has been.Never will be.
Muscle cars should have 8-Tracks, shouldn't they? Oh how I remember my first 8-track unit. It was summer of 71. The Doors was playing. Over and over and over and........

Muscle cars should have 8-Tracks, shouldn't they? Oh how I remember my first 8-track unit. It was summer of 71. The Doors was playing. Over and over and over and........
They now have the doors on CD. I thought Jim Morrison died a LONG time ago. :color:

oh, they can rerecord. Who would have known. BTW the doors CD is in the player right now.

Dennis

Its a 8 ohm radio. 2 8 ohm speakers is a 4 ohm load. That's what you have with one in front and one in rear. To briefly examine the word "load"... Anything with a load rating including chain hoists and other material handling equipment will handle some degree more than its advertised rating. That's when new. Don't attempt to lift 1.5 tons with a 1 ton hoist if its a 100 years old. LOL Back to the radio...
There output transistors would handle that 4 ohm load, a lot better than the modern electronics atleast. You could kill the old factory radios if cranked wide open for extended periods. They were more often killed with additional speakers/load.

When that car was designed most cars didn't have stereo radios or even FM on the radio so there wasn't a need for two rear speakers.

2 4ohm speakers in series would be o.k,but as said there was
no stereo so no need for separation...one speaker does it.

"No stereo" is the answer. "IF" there were car stereos back then they would have been 'higher end' and not something the A bodies "deserved" LOL

You'll notice there was never any provision for left / right front speakers, either

Actually car stereo was around in the early '60s. But you would never have seen it as a factory option in any low or mid-range car lines.

On a fastback,that opening is actually for a rear window defroster.

X2

There never were rear speakers in a fastback. And most fastbacks didn't have the defroster option, so have no hole back there in the quarter at all.

Thank you everyone for the information, I have learned something new. Although, now that we are in the days of new technology. Would two speakers work on the the quarters?

-
Back