windage tray question

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
How mandatory is the windage tray in my build?

The build (73 dart full interior) being built for acceleration blasts.

I've purchased the kevco oil pan & related pick up assy. I do not have windage tray. Was hoping the magic design of the kevco oil pan would take care of my windage tray needs. My how to build sbm book is telling me different. Willing to work on other areas of build until this part is available to install.

What does it do?

Which one I purchase?

Attachments

• 20141230_004413.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 20141230_001128.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 20141230_004344.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 306
I use the stock windage tray, but I also drill some oil drain holes in the bottom to help prevent the tray from starving the oil pump....

I use the stock windage tray, but I also drill some oil drain holes in the bottom to help prevent the tray from starving the oil pump....

Xtr drain holes sounds good. Why dont they sell them that way or is there a brand of tray that has these already built in?

With that oil pan, a windage tray is totally unnecessary.

That pan is deep enough to keep oil off crank throws. A scraper is better money spent but they are more popular on B/RB's

Just agreeing with most of what's been mentioned already. I use a crank scraper instead of a windage tray in my race car. Most Stock class racers also don't use a tray. It can trap oil between it and the crank, which is why drilling extra holes and bending open the "vent" windows further is helpful.

If you'd like more info on crank scrapers, you can check it out here:
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Chrysler.html

Just agreeing with most of what's been mentioned already. I use a crank scraper instead of a windage tray in my race car. Most Stock class racers also don't use a tray. It can trap oil between it and the crank, which is why drilling extra holes and bending open the "vent" windows further is helpful.

If you'd like more info on crank scrapers, you can check it out here:
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Chrysler.html

I am so pleased to hear the consensus. I am wanting to bolt up pan and move on. Having.some troubles with the pan rear end seal. I will make another thread for it.

Many thanks to all you who've been there and done that.

My engine is a solid roller 408 with a super light Bob weight I typically turn it 8k through the traps never had an issue with dropping oil pressure

FWIW, you don't have run 8 qts. in an 8 qt. pan. Less oil helps keep the level away from the crank windage. I only go up to 7,000, but I run 5 qts. with a scraper and Amsoil synthetics. I do get a little fluctuation, but never a bearing problem. Current engine has about 4 seasons on it but is getting replaced soon just to be safe.

-
Back