Winter time model building thread.

-
Here are some F-bodies unbuilts in there boxes.

100_1539.jpg

Hey D. Cluley, what did you use to strip the paint off that Chrysler? I have used brake clean, oven cleaner, and simple green with varying results. Never seen that Chrysler kit before, is it a Johan?

Been following this thread since the beginning and gotta say you guys have got me fired up to start building some of the kits I've been collecting over the years. I think I'll go out today and get some supplies on hand because we have rain forecast for SoCal for all of next week starting Sunday.
Here's a kit I ordered recently and waiting for delivery. It's supposed to be released in about a month. Should be a fun build.

LRW-duo.jpg

That little red wagon race team looks awesome ocdart,i'll definitely have to get one of those.

The Little Red Wagon is a blast to build. I've built one as a stock A100. Got blown apart on one of the moves, so I need to put it back together. The L700 kit is a nice kit. A little extra flashing to have to deal with, but detailed and engineered nicely. Jamison (dodgepower) and I have been putting his together whenever we get a chance to work on it as a team.

Check out the Lindberg L700 kits when you get a chance: Truck and flatbed with '40 Ford, truck and van trailer, truck and crushed cars. This list goes on and on. www.lindberg-models.com

I can tell you guys something, though. You've inspired me to take my Daytona kit to the next level. I was at megahobby.com taking a look at all the photo etched parts to make this thing pop. And since the '79 Ramcharger kit I have will be a miniature replica of the old girl which served us well for some many years it might just wind up the same way.

Hey ramenth, I have a Volare thats built but easily restored missing rear bumper if interested. I think it's a 79. Here's a picture of a couple of L 700 I built and a few others kits, I didn't build the True Value truck or the little A 100.

100_1525.jpg

Well, this thread has me fired up about going through the old boxes and digging out some of the project kits I have been messing around with over the years. I dont like 1/24th scale much and did a couple of kits in 1/25th using 1/24th kits for parts. Took a Monogram AAR Cuda in 1/24th and had a 1/25th Johan 71 Sox and Martin Cuda and bashed them and made a nice 1/25th scale AAR. Not done but coming along. Did something along the same lines with a Johan Sox and Martin Superbird and a AMT 68 Road Runner. I did not see anybody post a pic of the Miss Deal Studebaker Funny Car. I got one but the body is a A/FXed 67 GTX. I am going to post some pics Saturday. I have some outrageous stuff sitting downstairs.

Hey D. Cluley, what did you use to strip the paint off that Chrysler? I have used brake clean, oven cleaner, and simple green with varying results. Never seen that Chrysler kit before, is it a Johan?

I have used brake fluid with some success (it can make the plastic more brittle) but I think I used "scalecoat" paint stripper on this one.

If you have a Hobby shop that carries trains they should be able to get it. Or direct from walthers http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?quick=scalecoat+stripper

----------------------

Yes, It's a Johan. Among other things, they did the 65-68 300's. Each year they updated the tooling to match the new model, so 65-67 where each only available one year. The '68 has been reissued over the years so it's much more common.

I've had very good results using Castrol Super Clean as a paint stripper. Just make sure you use a plastic tub to soak the model in. It WILL eat through a metal container! Let it soak overnight & rinse w/ water using an old toothbrush to loosen up the paint.

BTW: For years I've wondered why they never sold the L-700 & the LRW together... now I see they will. <sigh...> Another kit to buy.

I was into model building big time in the late 80's early 90's. I used to send models via UPS to various shows around the states. I have a friend here in Utah (Mark Gustavson) that runs a large model contest here in Utah, I'm sure some of you have attended. I can't seem to find the time anymore for this hobby and have since sold all of the built & unbuilt models I had. Here are a few that I put together. The Challenger is a replica of a 73 Challenger that I had. I sold it to a MOPAR dealer in Washington and a few years later I saw it on ebay with a black vinyl top being sold out of Oregon.

1.jpg

3.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg

DSCF0144.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

P1010304.jpg

P1010307.jpg

P1010312.jpg

P1010326.jpg

P1010347.jpg

P1010348.jpg

P1010359.jpg

Hey max,max wedge, is that Challenger the Japanese kit? You did a super detail job on it! Same goes on the s'cool bus, nice! Homecloned, I built that garage kit too, it's cool!

Hey max,max wedge, is that Challenger the Japanese kit? You did a super detail job on it! Same goes on the s'cool bus, nice! Homecloned, I built that garage kit too, it's cool!

I still have to paint and detail all the small stuff. Lots of detailled tools!8)

i had the s,cool bus i was young and your hot baby sitter help me put it toghter, geuss it the baby sitter was hot i wasn,t that young. als

I know how you feel Max. At one time I was fully plugged into the hobby too. I met Mark at NNL East about 10 yrs. ago and I was a charter contributor to his model car museum. One day I'll make it out to the Salt Lake City show. I personally know a ton of people in the hobby too and really do miss it. Nice models !

That S`cool bus is a 1/24th. kit from Monogram and has been re-issued. Check e-Bay.

The vinyl top kit someone posted is nothing more than black masking tape. You can buy a mile of it for what that "detailing kit" will cost you. Shop around....

I know how you feel Max. At one time I was fully plugged into the hobby too. I met Mark at NNL East about 10 yrs. ago and I was a charter contributor to his model car museum. One day I'll make it out to the Salt Lake City show. I personally know a ton of people in the hobby too and really do miss it. Nice models !

That S`cool bus is a 1/24th. kit from Monogram and has been re-issued. Check e-Bay.

The vinyl top kit someone posted is nothing more than black masking tape. You can buy a mile of it for what that "detailing kit" will cost you. Shop around....

Thanks, that is what I have used to make vinyl tops in the past.

Yes, the Challenger is a Japanese kit (ARII). It was a motorized POS. All I was able to use from the ARII kit was the body, bumpers & windows, the rest is from a 70 Superbird.

Testor's makes a spray on vinyl top paint, it has a base coat and then a texture top coat. It works pretty good. I went temporarily crazy painting all those little tools on that garage kit.

How do you guys pull off the rusted spots? Someone once told me one way was to do something with cigarette ashes, but didn't tell me how. Some how I just don't believe that one. Besides, I quit smoking years ago! 8)

Here's a few of the original `68 Barracuda annual kits I have. These are the ONLY correct `68 Barracuda kits in 1/25th. scale. Other kits are advertised as `68's, but are actually `69's with round side marker lights. Beware.

At last count I have 7 complete kits stashed away. 8)
Models_110048-vi.jpg

Here's the cornerstone of my model collection, my vintage Hemi Under Glass kits.
Models_110051-vi.jpg

The 2 top kits are original `69 HUG's. The left middle kit is the incorrect box art release of the left bottom kit, the re-issued `66 version. Initially they shipped the kits with the wrong year car on the cover! The contents of that kit is actually the `66. Can you say instant collectible? The right middle is an original `67 HUG. The bottom right is considered to be one of the Holy Grail kits amongst Mopar collectors: the original AMT HUG kit from `66. Mine is un-touched mint and worth a few dollars, as are all the old HUG kits. I'm missing an un-built `68 HUG, but I do have a built-up.

Polar Lights did a pair of NICE vintage funny cars. A `68 Mini-Charger and a `68 Barracuda as well. They did Ghost versions where they cast the parts in clear plastic. Common kits.

Ever see one cast in clear red? 8)
Models_110049-vi.jpg

Let me know guys.... I have more models and kits I can post.

If you decided you wanted a pile of cash for those, I can probably hook you up with the guy that bought three of the original HUG's. Let me know.

Really neat cars.

-
Back