Winter time model building thread.

-
Thanks. Im kinda growing out of it though so i'll start back up when im older. Now they are just in the basement ready t be completed for a rainy day when ive got nothing else to do. Very seldomly go down there now since its to cold in the basement.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

John,
Have you ever built slot car frames. Looks like you have the talent to do it well.

Yeah... done that too. Started with HO cars... then models... then RC cars.... then slots.... then 1:1 cars....then models....then slots.....back to 1:1 Cars. If it had wheels and could be made to go fast, I fooled with it. I even mounted Estes rocket engines to brass frames and shot them down the main street early on Sunday mornings. Wish I had a video camera for THAT! In my mid-teens my house was ground-zero for silliness. It was the only place me & my friends could stay up late racing cars and smoking cigarettes while listening to Frank Zappa and the Mothers. Man, those were fun times.... especially when my Father would start complaining when we ran the high-strung stuff and it would screw with the TV reception upstairs....:-D
But the modeling has been enduring..... here's some more stuff.

This is a Lindberg `64 Dodge 330. Paint is Yellow pearl w/ a tan interior. Wheels are from Pegasus.
Models_110028-vi.jpg

Engine is a slant 6 w/ 3X2Bbl. Weber carbs. cast in resin from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland. The owner, Norm Veber, is a friend of mine and I use his stuff a lot.
64Dodge2-vi.jpg

64Dodge1-vi.jpg

** BTW: Look on the passenger seat and you can see a compact disc in an open case on the seat... **

Rear seat is all speakers and amps, billet steering wheel and column, and high back bucket seats.
Models_110032-vi.jpg

The undercarriage is moderately detailed. Mostly paint detailing with a few hard lines. The exhaust is aluminum tubing polished and bent. Muffler clamps are photo-etched pieces from Detail Master. The headers that split into duals are made from solder.
Models_110036-vi.jpg

This car placed second in the hotly contested Street Machine class at the 1999 MASSCAR show in Massachusetts. It was a proud win considering how hard it is to place in that contest. I *think* it may have been in the Scale Auto contest annual from 1999 too. Been so long ago....

This is my take on the Chrysler Atlantic concept car from the late 90's. Not until I sawed the roof off did it look right. A few years after I did this car I started seeing others at shows. The greatest compliment.
Models_110014-vi.jpg

The wheels are from a 1/18th. die cast Porsche and fit those huge wheel wells perfectly. The kit itself is a Lindberg snap kit with about 8 coats of black lacquer (remember that stuff?) and about 10 coats of clear, buried under dust now....

Models_110015-vi.jpg

This was my break-out build. It was my first model to be published in the modeling magazines. It turned up in Scale Auto Enthusiast, the SAE annual contest issue, and Car Model. It made a big splash at the `99 NNL East and I took Best of Show at the Mid-Atlantic (how fitting...) NNL in Maryland with it. I had been attending shows for YEARS and this is the car that got me noticed. After this build, Matt Wells from SAE or Gregg Hutchings from Model Cars would look for my stuff. It made all those lonely nights at the workbench unwinding all that more special. 8)

:tongue9::tongue9::tongue9::tongue9: Some very nice detailed work here :rock:

I have got to say there are some great builders here at FABO :cheers:

I have a long way to go on my 66 build to try and do it right :-k:-k

I guess I need to invest in a 66 barracuda kit to have the floor pan
I hope I can find one.
Thank all of you for the inspiration :cheers:

Hay FASTBACK340 :happy10: Those /6 engines are hard to find 8)

This is a Revell `69 Dart stuffed full of Hemi. The drive train came from that beautiful AMT pro street Coronet kit that I think everyone who builds Mopars has probably a dozen of them stashed away. Those kits are a treasure trove of contemporary goodies....
Models_110017-vi.jpg

This one was detailed from A-Z.... Unfortunately the upper section of the grill disappeared. I really hate to buy a $12 photoetch kit for one piece.:angry7:
The car has operational hood pins made from sewing needles and fine wire. I doubt I could fab that stuff up today. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Yes.... those are a set of 1/25th. scale keys in the ignition. These are made from a process called photo-etching. It's how circuit boards are made, all those little tracks of metal. Here it's used to make keys, throttle linkage,exhaust clamps, etc.
Models_110020-vi.jpg

The car is red metallic w/ white interior. The under carriage is one of my more detailed efforts for the day. All plumbing is correct and I regret not adding emergency brake cables.
Models_110019-vi.jpg

Models_110018-vi.jpg

The shocks were made by sleeving 2 pieces of brass tubing together after trimming the inside of the upper tube. Very realistic. The springs are moved inboard and it has a Dana 60. There's also a scratch-built drive shaft loop.

This one won 3 first place awards and was in Car Model magazine. It's showing it's age and it's a shame.

This little guy was built from an ancient Revell parts pack dragster frame. The front axle was made from aluminum tubing and has functioning steering. The engine is from the Monogram `50 Ford pick up kit with a SCOT blower from a AMT `57 Chevy and a Tony Nancy 22JR. hood scoop.
Models_110022-vi.jpg

And every dragster needs a tow vehicle. This is the Monogram `50 Chevy snap kit painted in a 2-tone burnt orange/burgundy with white walls & chrome reverse wheels. The trailer I made from Evergreen sheet plastic and some Tenax 7 liquid cement and matching wheels and tires.

Models_110023-vi.jpg

No tow vehicle would be complete without a bed full of tires, tools, and a jack.

This is the early 80's MPC version of the Dodge Pick up. I threw away the pick up bed and made one from sheet plastic. I also chopped the top a scale 6". The front bumper was molded in the the bottom of the front valance. The rectangular headlights are behind a green tinted lenses cover.
Models_110037-vi.jpg

Here you can see the radical shape of the back of the bed. I also frenched in the license plate. The tail lights are from a `59 Caddy with polished brass bezels. The paint is Testors Boyds Green Pearl air brushed on w/ clear. And love `em or leave `em, the gold wire wheels were a good idea at the time.... :-D
Models_110038-vi.jpg

Being I built this as a custom, I didn't see any need to go hog-wild detailing under the hood. Just your basic 440+6 living here.... The hood was hinged to open reversed.
Models_110039-vi.jpg

Taking a peek in the window we see a custom console complete with a pair of sunglasses and the latest issue of Hot Rod in it.
Models_110040-vi.jpg

This one grabbed a few awards too.....
8)

I also like building weird stuff. The more obscure the car, the more likely I'll hack it up.

Here we have a BMW Isetta bubble car converted into a roadster with a uber stereo system.....
Models_110043-vi.jpg

Models_110042-vi.jpg

Believe it or not, but through the magic of the internet, I found out 2 yrs. after I had brought this to shows that it was in a Swedish car magazine! It took a bit of work, but I have the issue at my house. I should dig it out and scan it so someone could tell me what the hell it says under my model!

Here's another pair of bizarre builds. The Fiat 500 is painted Grape Pearl with billet aluminum wheels and the Frost Green Subaru 360 was built from a Tamiya kit. Both are quickie builds with no chassis, engines, or interiors. So quick, the tires are epoxied to the inside of the body and the blacked out glass is duct-taped in from the inside.

Models_110041-vi.jpg

Here's a box of old Mopars that will get built someday....
Models_110052-vi.jpg

The upper left is an old AMT `61 Imperial annual kit. Back in the 60's, AMT did annual releases of the popluar cars. Some of these old kits are incredibly expensive today. A `58 Buick AMT annual is probably worth close to $500. That `66 Hemi under Glass kit I posted a while back is not far from that either. The other kits are from Johan, a Mopar lovers delight. They did a lot of early 60's Mopars. The `64 Polara in the bottom left is going to be a replica of my first car when I was 17. The plain white box in the upper right is a re-release of the `59 Dodge promotional by Johan

Did I mention that with the exception of an un-built `68 Hemi Under Glass, I have every variation on second generation Barracuda's un-built? Here's a pair of 1/43rd. scale AMT customized Barracuda's. The Revell kit is from Germany and is 1/32nd. scale `69 Fastback with a `68 grill. Go figure....
Models_110050-vi.jpg

I also have a nice collection of Modelhaus resin kits including a `67 Barracuda convertible and a `69 Notchback. I'll dig those out someday and share.

That's it for now....

Fastback340- make me a model of my car please!

I've done some cool things in the past, but never to that level, those appear to have taken quite some time to complete- what are you 150 years old? lol

Does anyone recall smallbux from e-Bay?
He sold all of his junker models, it took a number of years to do it.
There are some videos on the internet of his stuff, and some have been posted here before.

Yeah... done that too. Started with HO cars... then models... then RC cars.... then slots.... then 1:1 cars....then models....then slots.....back to 1:1 Cars. If it had wheels and could be made to go fast, I fooled with it. I even mounted Estes rocket engines to brass frames and shot them down the main street early on Sunday mornings. Wish I had a video camera for THAT! In my mid-teens my house was ground-zero for silliness. It was the only place me & my friends could stay up late racing cars and smoking cigarettes while listening to Frank Zappa and the Mothers. Man, those were fun times.... especially when my Father would start complaining when we ran the high-strung stuff and it would screw with the TV reception upstairs....:-D
But the modeling has been enduring..... here's some more stuff.

This is a Lindberg `64 Dodge 330. Paint is Yellow pearl w/ a tan interior. Wheels are from Pegasus.
Models_110028-vi.jpg

Engine is a slant 6 w/ 3X2Bbl. Weber carbs. cast in resin from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland. The owner, Norm Veber, is a friend of mine and I use his stuff a lot.
64Dodge2-vi.jpg

64Dodge1-vi.jpg

** BTW: Look on the passenger seat and you can see a compact disc in an open case on the seat... **

Rear seat is all speakers and amps, billet steering wheel and column, and high back bucket seats.
Models_110032-vi.jpg

The undercarriage is moderately detailed. Mostly paint detailing with a few hard lines. The exhaust is aluminum tubing polished and bent. Muffler clamps are photo-etched pieces from Detail Master. The headers that split into duals are made from solder.
Models_110036-vi.jpg

This car placed second in the hotly contested Street Machine class at the 1999 MASSCAR show in Massachusetts. It was a proud win considering how hard it is to place in that contest. I *think* it may have been in the Scale Auto contest annual from 1999 too. Been so long ago....
Great minds think alike!!!! Here's my '64 built about 10yrs ago with the /6 4barrel, 4 wheel Brembo disc brakes, AAR Cuda exhaust +++++

HPIM5201.jpg

HPIM5202.jpg

HPIM5203.jpg

Thanks. Im kinda growing out of it though so i'll start back up when im older. Now they are just in the basement ready t be completed for a rainy day when ive got nothing else to do. Very seldomly go down there now since its to cold in the basement.

IMG_0373.jpg
Dude..... you need a rifle to build models?!?! :thumbup:

Great minds think alike!!!! Here's my '64 built about 10yrs ago with the /6 4barrel, 4 wheel Brembo disc brakes, AAR Cuda exhaust +++++

WOW !!!!!!!!!!! That's waaaaaay cool! Mine was built about 10 yrs. ago too. This is eerie....

I always wondered how my car would have looked if I did all the trim in bare-metal foil. I still don't know why I didn't do it.
8)

Great job!

Some of my Petty replica's along with the "sleeper Dart" The Dart is a '69 with a Viper V-10

You do some really nice work. Those Petty cars look sweet. And that Dart is awesome! I love it....
:cheers:

You do some really nice work. Those Petty cars look sweet. And that Dart is awesome! I love it.... :cheers:
8)Thanks!! You've got some very awesome builds as well. As everybody know it takes years of building these to get really good at it. There are alot of very good builders on this site I'm very impressed with the quality in everybodies models. I alway felt I did quality builds till I went to a model contest 2yrs ago WOW! I was almost ashamed to put mine out when I saw some the other entries, that was my first time out to a contest. I was glad I went because just when I thought I didn't stand a chance I ended up coming out of there with 2-2nd place & 1-3rd place awards. I was very surprised to say the least. I'm planning on entering again this year but it'll depend on the work schedule.:cheers:

I think there is some of the best of the best world champ builds here guy's:cheers:
I wish I had a picture of a model called the BugaBoom I built when I was 13 or so, It was a stretched VW full length dragster with a Hemi in it.
But nothing as nice as I am seeing here :cheers:
I used thread for spark plug wires back in the day :toothy10:
But looking at all these very fine builds really amaze me 8)
Thank yall for sharing some top shelve 1st place winners

I think there is some of the best of the best world champ builds here guy's:cheers:
I wish I had a picture of a model called the BugaBoom I built when I was 13 or so, It was a stretched VW full length dragster with a Hemi in it.
But nothing as nice as I am seeing here :cheers:
I used thread for spark plug wires back in the day :toothy10:
But looking at all these very fine builds really amaze me 8)
Thank yall for sharing some top shelve 1st place winners

Mike I ws thinking the same thing. Some VERY fine builds here. I am going to have to kick it up a notch. Take it to a HNL(hole notha level).

Good work guys and thanks for sharing and making this a great thread.:cheers:

Great models, all of you!! Makes me wish I was still building them as well.

On a separate note, do any of you do your own custom water slide off decals?
I want to do something for my dad involving a diecast model and all I have is an old picture of a delivery van that I would need the graphics and lettering converted to decals.

Thanks and sorry for jumping in here.

Mike

Mike I ws thinking the same thing. Some VERY fine builds here. I am going to have to kick it up a notch. Take it to a HNL(hole notha level).

Good work guys and thanks for sharing and making this a great thread.:cheers:

That's what I was thinking last night as I applying the foil to the badges on my Challenger 'vert kit. Gonna have to step up a bit.

Great models, all of you!! Makes me wish I was still building them as well.

On a separate note, do any of you do your own custom water slide off decals?
I want to do something for my dad involving a diecast model and all I have is an old picture of a delivery van that I would need the graphics and lettering converted to decals.

Thanks and sorry for jumping in here.

Mike

I've played with 'em some. Testors had a decal maker kit out. Was kind of fun to play with.

The wheels are from a 1/18th. die cast Porsche and fit those huge wheel wells perfectly. The kit itself is a Lindberg snap kit with about 8 coats of black lacquer (remember that stuff?) and about 10 coats of clear, buried under dust now....

Actually, John, Testors and Tamiya both have lacquer out in the spray bombs, Testors under the Model Master's label. Just started working with it since they have some of the factory Mopar colors like Plum Crazy, Panther Pink, GTS Blue, as well as the Hugger and Grabber colors.

The nice thing is: it's lacquer. It's not like the enamels which Noel pointed out earlier can take forever to dry.

-
Back