Winter time model building thread.

-
Those are some nice builds, John.

I've got to give you guys doing the plumbing a thumbs up. I've done it in the past. Personally, I didn't like the way it turned out, though others told me I did a good job with it. Guess I'm my own worst critic. From then on out I've done box stock, sticking to the paint to highlight the details. Though I do like to kit bash, too.

(Though I do have a 4 door up my sleeve using a couple of GTX kits...)

So, to make 'em turn out like you did, John: :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliment. You've posted some nice stuff too!

The full detail builds can be a pain in the *** because you don't know where to stop. I add plug wires then think I need fuel lines, which means there should be throttle linkage too. And now we can't ignore other underhood plumbing, such as brake lines and coolant hoses. Might as well add the battery cables. And now to connect it all underneath....

The street rods are fun because everything is exposed. So between super-detailing and using unusual powertrains you have a show stopper. The Orange `32 was in Car Model, Model cars, and Scale Auto. The Jag had a full page feature in the final issue of Plastic Fanatic (which became Model Cars)

But that `64 Imperial. If you flip that one over you see masking tape holding the glass in and the tires are epoxied to the inside of the fenderwells. A building style called Slammers because you, well...slam them together. VERY satisfying builds.

Let me know... I have more.
8)

Can't say that I've seen one in clear red, but with Polar Lights it doesn't surprise me either.

I like their Star Trek stuff. Yeah, I'm a Trekkie.

I heard the clear red Chargers and Barracuda's were limited to 500 of each. I bought this one about 5-6 yrs. ago on e-Bay for about $30. I've been looking for a second one since and haven't found one yet at any price.

Not that I'd pay any price. I did that for the original `66 HUG kit. Don't ask how much.....

Thanks for the compliment. You've posted some nice stuff too!

The full detail builds can be a pain in the *** because you don't know where to stop. I add plug wires then think I need fuel lines, which means there should be throttle linkage too. And now we can't ignore other underhood plumbing, such as brake lines and coolant hoses. Might as well add the battery cables. And now to connect it all underneath....

The street rods are fun because everything is exposed. So between super-detailing and using unusual powertrains you have a show stopper. The Orange `32 was in Car Model, Model cars, and Scale Auto. The Jag had a full page feature in the final issue of Plastic Fanatic (which became Model Cars)

But that `64 Imperial. If you flip that one over you see masking tape holding the glass in and the tires are epoxied to the inside of the fenderwells. A building style called Slammers because you, well...slam them together. VERY satisfying builds.

Let me know... I have more. 8)

That's my problem with the full builds. If I don't draw the line somewhere, then it's go for broke: the linkage, the rubber hoses, the battery cables, the actual metal brake rotors, the...you get the point. One of the reasons I call it quits at box stock. With my personality I wouldn't know where to quit if I don't say enough is enough up front. Though with my Daytona build I'm thinking of going the underhood detail route because I've got the scale DOHC Hemi going into it, and the engine is just...lacking.

By all means, post away!

Nice memorial to your Grandfather. I can say with honesty I know what it means to build a eulogy piece.

After reading what you said and examining the photos a lot better I get what you're saying about the airbrush on low pressure.

I want to do something along those lines with my General Lee kit. Not a show car, something that just came off the back clay roads of GA.

Here's a couple close ups of just the car so you can get an idea how the dirt went on.

HPIM0038.jpg

HPIM0040.jpg

Very Nice dodgefreak73 :cheers: 8)
I had to save this one so I can refer to it on my 66 gasser "Victoria" project 8) Thank you for sharing :cheers:
That's a cool resin body Memike. Are you getting started on that yet or just getting the game plan together? As always, post pics!!

Though with my Daytona build I'm thinking of going the underhood detail route because I've got the scale DOHC Hemi going into it, and the engine is just...lacking.

By all means, post away!

Funny you mentioned a DOHC Daytona project....

I started this one almost 9 yrs. ago and got sidetracked. This is going to be an open wheeled, mid-engined high-boy roadster.

Models_110053-vi.jpg

I spliced together 2 DOHC engines and created a ficticous V-12 version w/ a 4 X 4Bbl. intake.
Models_110055-vi.jpg

I also started a scratch-built brass chassis w/operating suspension.
Models_110056-vi.jpg

One of these days I'll finish it.

Funny you mentioned a DOHC Daytona project....

I started this one almost 9 yrs. ago and got sidetracked. This is going to be an open wheeled, mid-engined high-boy roadster.

Models_110053-vi.jpg

I spliced together 2 DOHC engines and created a ficticous V-12 version w/ a 4 X 4Bbl. intake.
Models_110055-vi.jpg

I also started a scratch-built brass chassis w/operating suspension.
Models_110056-vi.jpg

One of these days I'll finish it.

Very interesting build, John. Especially with the brass chassis.

Amazing build quality everyone. I really am going to have to clean mine up better. When I build my Swinger it will be plumbed. I am building box stock mostly, other then the few pro streeet projects which where started 10 years ago when pro street was really in.
The Hemi engine was my first attemp at running a distributer. Homemade from some aluminum tubing, telephone wire and epoxy. My late friend Jimmy was into all the small aftermarket parts and figures. We he jumped I lost my ambition to build for a while and just recently dug them back out. He got me back into building in the late 80's after a 6 year hiatus.

Keep the pics comin, I need the inspiration to at least dust mine off.:-D

Plus as Mary sees other people are as crazy as me about models she doesn't mind them sitting all over the house. Shes pretty cool about it but wonders why I dont spend the time working on the full scale ones.:-k :dontknow: :-\"

She doesnt realize these are easier sometimes.:toothy7:

I have a bunch of Mopar car kits I have not built yet. I do a lot of plane kits though. Here is a Tamiya 1/72 P-47C I am working on now.

100_3626.jpg

Cool, burnt. I was wondering if any plane builders were going to chime in. I've got a 1/48 scale Blackbird hanging out in the box I need to get to one of these days....

Here's some of my old ones.
Just started working on Rosco's squad car. Got a 64 Belvedere drag car in
the works with the engine from the Christine Pro/ Mod kit. Also starting a
A 100 pick up. Going to be a nice street machine. Two tone paint. Don't
know what colors yet.

100_1391.jpg

100_1402.jpg

100_1397.jpg

100_1210.jpg

I was waiting to see if Brian was coming to this party.... I've seen Brian's work before and he's another good builder. I especially like the `62 Chrysler 300 w/ the Shaker Hood. Great idea!

Let me see what else I got stored on the old hard drive.....
:-D

What a great thread!! Here is the only picture I have on my computer, it is a heavily modified amt Richard Petty "Kit Car" I had this one at the Mopar nats this year, ended up second with it. It is also featured in the Feb 2010 Mopar collectors guild, on the top of page 82. There were a lot of awsome models there!! I thought I was the only adult that still likes to build models!!!!!

misc pics 004.jpg

misc pics 008.jpg

I've got most of the foil and detail paint work done on this 300 body but it still needs some touch up. I have a little paint work to do on the engine and need to string up the wires. There is a cool web site that is dedicated to the restoration of the car this model was made after. I'm trying to find a good match for the light tan interior, any tips will be appreciated.

300 c 7.jpg

300 c 5.jpg

300 c 2.jpg

392 3.jpg

392 4.jpg

392 5.jpg

Well after I got home from physical therapy and made a run to Walmart to buy new sneakers and a boat load of ibuprofen (my new prescribed anti-inflammatory) the day was pretty shot for doing anything but laundry and tinkering on the models. So, I decided it was time to fix a few that had gotten damaged in the move to get back out on display:

20100111_1.JPG

20100111_2.JPG

20100111_4.JPG

20100111_5.JPG

20100111_6.JPG

20100111_7.JPG

I thought I was the only adult that still likes to build models!!!!!

Nope. For me it's therapy. The economy got me, house work can only be done so much. Too freakin' cold to be out working on the real thing. If I don't use my hands to put something to together I'll go stir crazy.

hey homecloned, your model room looks just like mine, full of mopars. My favorite thing to do in the winter is build models. I like building pro street mopars from the 70 super bee kit, and making pro street cars from other mopar kits Nice models.

Here's some of my old ones.
Just started working on Rosco's squad car. Got a 64 Belvedere drag car in
the works with the engine from the Christine Pro/ Mod kit. Also starting a
A 100 pick up. Going to be a nice street machine. Two tone paint. Don't
know what colors yet.

Love the motor home hauler. Was that built on the snap Dodge truck kit from a few years ago?

-
Back