Worst trends in hot rodding over the years

-
2636F253-73DF-459B-AC9E-BC1D9D3BFA9D.jpeg
Saw this today

I've always wanted a dead base model 68, 383 4 speed with 3.91 gears. Bone stock.
I once had that. But a '68 Satilite. (Another one I wish I still had.) It replaced my '66 GTO 389 4-speed both 3.73:1 gears. We raced the two a few times. It was a good race. The Satilite was quicker. But had less rear tire. So GTO would always hole shot it. And the chase was on.

Those were fun late 70s/early 80s times. Just graduated high school.

Unfortunately this RR would got whipped by either of my clunkers from the past.

The worst trend is the modern day lack of understanding and the meaning of historical descriptive definitions that results in their misuse:

“Hot Rod” and “Classic”.

It’s interesting that “Hot Rod” has EVERYTHING to do with age: Pre 1949. IE: Not a 1978 Camaro.

Also interesting that “Classic” has NOTHING to do with age. But again: Still not a 1978 Camaro.

“Classic” definition: “A work of the highest class and of acknowledged excellence”.

Today it seems that every old car with some years on it is referred to as a “Classic”.

Back in the day 6 or 7 vehicle type ID’s were in everyday use and in everyone’s vocabulary. What happened?

Just another example of dumbing down and the rewriting of history.

what about "frame off restoration" on a unibody vehicle?

Jacked up cars with lights on the shock mounts and a CB antenna mounted on the trunk.:lol:

what about "frame off restoration" on a unibody vehicle?

How about a “trending” modern day common visual:

A long row at a “park and sit” Cruise Night of: new Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, maybe a BMW or 2. The owners in their chairs listening to Buddy Holly music. Not cool and kind of silly really.

Cruise Nights were originally intended to have enthusiasts participating in, celebrating, remembering and continuing, a Culture. Historically many Cruise Nights were gated and had vehicle cut off years for entry to ensure the hang out scene depicted The Way It Was.

“Entry denied but you are welcome to come in, walk around and enjoy the cars as a member of the public.”

Cruise Nights were never planned to be general in scope and open to all. Not a “Car Show” or a weekly, park what ‘ya brung, “Car Hobby” outing. It is a sad state of affairs these days.

The biggest and best annual event in my area has a cast in stone Pre ’65 cut off for entry + No Billet on display. Thousands of enthusiasts travel great distances from across the U.S. and Canada to attend. However, many of these people also no longer attend their local cruise nights. Such a pity. Who wants to hang around at a new car dealership?

The best sign I have seen in a while at a gated cruise night: “NO Commuter Cars”. The gate keeper is pointing at the sign while standing in front of (blocking) a 2021 Mustang. Priceless.

God bless those remaining free of billet.

The whole bouncing hydraulic scene? I personally don't get it? They remote control from outside the car? And stereos so loud and high in compression wave you can't sit in car when blasting? So what the point of doing this is to a vehicle? Can't one do with a couch or something?

lowrider-bounce-hydraulics-la-robin-boer.jpg

YouTube ^^^^^^

It was a gag. But idiots were giving it a thumbs up on the street while the guy laughed inside it.

How about a “trending” modern day common visual:

A long row at a “park and sit” Cruise Night of: new Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, maybe a BMW or 2. The owners in their chairs listening to Buddy Holly music. Not cool and kind of silly really.

Cruise Nights were originally intended to have enthusiasts participating in, celebrating, remembering and continuing, a Culture. Historically many Cruise Nights were gated and had vehicle cut off years for entry to ensure the hang out scene depicted The Way It Was.

“Entry denied but you are welcome to come in, walk around and enjoy the cars as a member of the public.”

Cruise Nights were never planned to be general in scope and open to all. Not a “Car Show” or a weekly, park what ‘ya brung, “Car Hobby” outing. It is a sad state of affairs these days.

The biggest and best annual event in my area has a cast in stone Pre ’65 cut off for entry + No Billet on display. Thousands of enthusiasts travel great distances from across the U.S. and Canada to attend. However, many of these people also no longer attend their local cruise nights. Such a pity. Who wants to hang around at a new car dealership?

The best sign I have seen in a while at a gated cruise night: “NO Commuter Cars”. The gate keeper is pointing at the sign while standing in front of (blocking) a 2021 Mustang. Priceless.

God bless those remaining free of billet.
I've always wanted to see a cutoff point at cruise nights, pisses me off to see the new Challengers, Chargers, Camaros, Mustangs, and the import crowd taking up huge amounts of space while the older ones have no place to park.

The whole bouncing hydraulic scene? I personally don't get it? They remote control from outside the car? And stereos so loud and high in compression wave you can't sit in car when blasting? So what the point of doing this is to a vehicle? Can't one do with a couch or something?

View attachment 1715859836
Absolute stupidity. We had one guy that had one at the car show many years ago and he started jumping it and did it once too often. He hit the car beside him. The owner was pissed as you can imagine.

I once had that. But a '68 Satilite. (Another one I wish I still had.) It replaced my '66 GTO 389 4-speed both 3.73:1 gears. We raced the two a few times. It was a good race. The Satilite was quicker. But had less rear tire. So GTO would always hole shot it. And the chase was on.

Those were fun late 70s/early 80s times. Just graduated high school.

Unfortunately this RR would got whipped by either of my clunkers from the past.
had a 68 Coronet 383 4 spd... ran 3:23, 3:55, and 4:56 chunks. Loved Her, miss her still

-
Back