Wrangler owners - a question for you

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Okay, so I figure I'll be putting on abou 65-70 miles a day, round trip getting back and forth to work. About ten miles of that is two lane, 55mph zone most of the trip, about another two miles of it is "city" and 30mph zones.

It's really not that big of a deal with the F150, I love driving the truck. Mileage isn't that bad and definitely not a back breaker when it comes to filling the tank(s). But, thinking in the long run, having to stop a couple times a week to fill is going to start being a pain in the ***. I hate pumping gas.

I've been contemplating a Wrangler. Gonna have to be a 4.0L/5sp for me to even look at it.

What's your real world mileage?

I love them jeans there like 10 bucks at walmart and fit great. But I would look for the Jeep Cherokees same drive train better mileage and more secure. You can get a used 2000 for about 3 grand.

Robert, the jeans don't fit!

I don't have a wrangler, but have a Cherokee. Did I mention this is my 4th Cherokee with the 4.0. I get between 18 and 21. 21 being highway and 18 in the winter months. I would suppose a Wrangler should sure get comperable.

However, my daughter had an Impreza (I know, I know) foreign Jap crap. It get's GREAT mileage (way upper20's to 30 in the 30's) and has been very reliable! We do though live at 8,700' altitude so a 4X4 is kind of a necessity.
The Impreza is a littler car though, not as roomey as like a Cherokee or Wrangler.

Kim
PS, I hope the new job works out great for you and well, helps keep your mind busy.

When I worked as a buyer for the salvage pool there sure was a lot of rolled over Wranglers. Almost every one of them were roll overs. I am sure stupidity played a part in that as well.

I love them jeans there like 10 bucks at walmart and fit great. But I would look for the Jeep Cherokees same drive train better mileage and more secure. You can get a used 2000 for about 3 grand.

Robert, the jeans don't fit!

I don't have a wrangler, but have a Cherokee. Did I mention this is my 4th Cherokee with the 4.0. I get between 18 and 21. 21 being highway and 18 in the winter months. I would suppose a Wrangler should sure get comperable.

However, my daughter had an Impreza (I know, I know) foreign Jap crap. It get's GREAT mileage (way upper20's to 30 in the 30's) and has been very reliable! We do though live at 8,700' altitude so a 4X4 is kind of a necessity.
The Impreza is a littler car though, not as roomey as like a Cherokee or Wrangler.

Kim
PS, I hope the new job works out great for you and well, helps keep your mind busy.

I should have explained a little more as to why I'm looking into a Wrangler.

The idea of being able to take the doors off and the top off for decent summer cruises appeals to me, also. I really don't need the extra room a Cherokee offers, since I have the truck for extra hauling and towing and the XG as a nice five seat touring sedan. Chances are, the XG will be seeing small amounts of summer duty, just to keep it limbered up.

I have plans for a 427 build later for the F150, but until then, I'd like to keep as much mileage as I can on the little 302 just for hauling and towing. With trying to get financing in place to build the garage, remodeling the house, and getting all the projects hauled in, if it goes down, a lot of things come to a screeching halt.

Having a 4x is a must. Our winters are hit and miss. One year we may have no snow, the next year we may get dumped on.

Thanks for the advice on the Sube, Kim, but that's off the table and has been for quite a while. I'll start a **** storm by saying this, but I'm not sold on
'em. They have their issues, too, just like every car. I've worked on a lot of 'em over the years. And since I'll be the one working on it, I'd rather be working on something I want to own.

Why do you drive a Jeep to work if your worried about mileage? Just grab a little car that gets 30+ and call it a day.

My daily driver is a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I average 16-18 mpg. Keep in mind I run a 33" tire with 4.10 gears. If I regeared to 4.56's I would probably get back to the 18-20 mpg it got in stock form. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep. If you want good MPG get a TDI Jetta.

When I worked as a buyer for the salvage pool there sure was a lot of rolled over Wranglers. Almost every one of them were roll overs. I am sure stupidity played a part in that as well.

-unless someone does something stupid, your not gonna roll it over. I had to swerve to miss a Saint Bernard at 60mph and didn't roll. It had 31's and the 4 banger and got 14 average

Our 99 Cherokee 4.0 only gets 18 highway at BEST....

I prefer Levi's....

I had a yj few years back and it had the 4cy, never ever again, ever. Wasn't bad scooting around town but that's it. Horribly under powered so glad your looking at the 6.

Had several Cherokees with the 4.0 and the mpg was 13-16 so nothing impressive with them either but man, talk about a tough motor. Last one was submerged to the dash and still couldn't kill it, bent rods and she kept going. Replaced it with a Craigslist motor I picked up for 350 and took about a day, not a bad motor to pull if you have to except for some odd upper bolts on the bell housing.

The wranglers are fun to drive and pretty decent off road in stock dress, I think you'll like it, plus they hold their values so not much to worry over on that end either.

Why do you drive a Jeep to work if your worried about mileage? Just grab a little car that gets 30+ and call it a day.

I don't remember ever saying anything about "worrying" about mileage. I said, fuel mileage isn't a back breaker in the truck. I said, I want to keep the mileage off the truck until the 427 is built. I need the truck to haul in the projects, haul in material for the garage, and haul in the material for the little bit of home remodeling that still needs to be done. Without the truck those projects don't get done. So, saving the 70 miles round trip back and forth to work saves the mileage on the truck for the mileage it's seeing in completing the projects.

I've got a car that gets 30 miles to the gallon. I'm not looking for another car.

What I'm looking for is something I want. I've always wanted a Wrangler. I'm curious as to what kind of mileage it gets. I know the 4.0L's are bulletproof and the round trip back and forth to work won't be a sweat. I'm not a fan of automatics for my drivers. I prefer to row my own gears.

It's that simple.

the fiance has a 94 YJ stick behind a 2.5L. was pretty lame @ 15mpg average and sitting in mid third up hills sucked! i installed a 4.0L TB and 1" spacer from summit and now it gets about 19mpg and hills are an easy 4th!

i agree i would rather have the 6 but it has no issues of road, even with the 30x9's that are on it with stock gear.

only thing i would say if you buy one is make sure that it comes with the hardtop and half doors. then in the summer buy a bikini top from bestop...

Robert, I had a factory V8 Wrangler back in the early 80's. It was a pretty frightening machine. High center of gravity, short wheel base, and more power that that combination could handle.
I was living in NJ at the time and I had a plow on it during the winter. When driving in the rain during the winter with a 6'plow hanging off the front it was necessary to use 4WD, as the combination of wet pavement and a few hundred pounds hanging 14" past the front bumper unloaded the rear axle enough to easily lose traction. When plowing, there was always a couple of hundred lbs of salt of sand i where the back seat was supposed to be. lol

If you decide to build a v8 Wrangler, just be careful with it.

If you decide to build a v8 Wrangler, just be careful with it.

Thanks, Frank, but this one I don't plan on powertrain mods, one of the reasons I'm looking for a 4.0L/5pd to begin with. It might see some suspension mods, but only to improve upon the factory pieces, nothing like lift kits, etc.

I have plenty of vehicles in the cue to satisfy my builder's itch.

Thanks, Frank, but this one I don't plan on powertrain mods, one of the reasons I'm looking for a 4.0L/5pd to begin with. It might see some suspension mods, but only to improve upon the factory pieces, nothing like lift kits, etc.

I have plenty of vehicles in the cue to satisfy my builder's itch.

And get it before winter! Seems like come winter time the prices almost double! Late summer and early fall seem to have the best price range.

Shouldn't be hard to find the 5 speed. Pretty common

I had an 08 Wrangler with the 3.8 V6. 3.73 gears and auto. I routinely got 22-23. I recommend you stick with the 4.0.

My TJ. If you are even remotely interested in fuel economy you DO NOT want a Jeep. I have a buddy that put a 4bt cummins in his TJ and gets 28mpg... BUT the conversion is not cheap.

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 164
... If you are even remotely interested in fuel economy you DO NOT want a Jeep...

I can't ever remember equating "fuel economy" and "Jeep". lol

There is nothing fuel efficient about them. The have the aerodynamics of a concrete block, the additional weight of the 4WD apparatus on board, kill gas mileage, and they are simply not designed to be fuel efficient, or economical transportation.

They are the original SUV, before the tag came to signify a replacement for the family station wagon. They are the most capable off road vehicle made in this country, and many others countries, too. They are tight for interior room, no trunk to speak of, ride like a buckboard, and they are quite simply one of the most fun and diverse vehicles you can ever own.

It truly is a Sport Utility Vehicle like no other.

What size fuel tank in truck,now what size does the jeep have, think about that seeing as you don't like pumping fuel

I own a 2005 Wrangler that I bought brand new. It has the 4.0 straight-six, FWD and the sure-grip axle package and I have trouble getting 15 MPG on the highway. On the other hand this is my 4th Jeep Wrangler, and it is a vehicle that is super fun to drive.

I wear Wrangler jeans and love them. Also own a 97 Jeep wrangler with a 4.0 5 speed combo and love it too. It gets about 15-16 on the highway which suits me just fine. Get what you want. Don't drive like an idiot and you won't roll it. Just my 2 cents.

I lied I don't wear levi's. I'm to fat so I wear jogging pants without the string. And underwear delete. I sit front on the seat and let-em swing. roll over prevention. Also easy access for what ever.

I had a 2000 wrangler 4.0 / auto trans ... averaged 15mpg

the manual trans should get you back a few mpg

-
Back