WTB Yellow gsx mirror

-
I think Oklacarcollecto has a dead ringer. That is a diecast collectable, its MADE that way! NOT broken!

I'd almost bet that was a special edition model that was used in dealerships, BUT do NOT quote me on that! Not sure, I'd go trying to make it something it wasn't to be unless you want to ruin its value! On Ebay, they're going for $50 just about, and if you mess with that "broken" mirror, won't be worth 2 bucks when your done, only how much "you" like it at that point....

Spoiler, yeah, I'd actually contact the company that made it to help you get FACTORY parts to "restore" it....NOTHING less!

I am glad you got what I found. If it is one out of the limited edition Buick GSX owners will want it. The Redline Hot Wheels for my 1968 Barracuda that have been near mint or mint on card has brought north of $400 every time one has surfaced. That Hot Wheels sold for about 49 cents back then. I realize that this GSX isn't mint on card or NIB but as you said $50 vs $2 by messing it up by adding a mirror that isn't supposed to be there to ruin the value. Maybe it isn't the real deal but it is definitely worth checking out.

Ah thanks :) i bought the car at Rite Aid where i work. Also got a small police car too. :)

You never know where some of this stuff will surface. I bought a real promo 1968 Barracuda off the TV auction for $8 and it brings $200+/- on eBay when one shows up.

Even if it is a knock off of the real deal someone will still want it.

I am glad you got what I found. If it is one out of the limited edition Buick GSX owners will want it. The Redline Hot Wheels for my 1968 Barracuda that have been near mint or mint on card has brought north of $400 every time one has surfaced. That Hot Wheels sold for about 49 cents back then. I realize that this GSX isn't mint on card or NIB but as you said $50 vs $2 by messing it up by adding a mirror that isn't supposed to be there to ruin the value. Maybe it isn't the real deal but it is definitely worth checking out.

You never know where some of this stuff will surface. I bought a real promo 1968 Barracuda off the TV auction for $8 and it brings $200+/- on eBay when one shows up.

Well congrats to both of us. :blob:

You have to remember with me, I used to work in a antique toy shop, for a number of years and those old "Promo's" taught me a few tricks, and then got into Scale model trains, anything from N scale to G scale and owned a shop of my own, repairing, and custom building you name (I was once certified by Lionel for repairs and customizations to undecorated items) and made a nice early retirement from it due to my health. BUT I still own EVERYTHING! I bought and paid for all my collectors books and everything in between. these things stick out like a sore thumb.....you know? Even tho, my shops "closed" I'm still a modeler at heart, and have an "eye" for things.....

Just as you said, that GSX, its not a "big name" collectable, TILL those that are, are gone and the WANT is still there then that cheapie, one you thought "nahhhh, no one will ever want it" AT THAT time will then become collectable.....

I have an OLD AMT-ERTL, 1981 Licensed Warner Bros. General Lee model. Kit was bought at a yardsale beat to crap, for 50 cents.....This same kit ABLE to see that marking? $1,400!!!!! There are around 103 of them listed as "owned" out of a possible 3,000 made! This was a "Collectable Register" of these models, one that I probably ought to update as it hasn't been done in a number of years.... They were Warner Bros. Promotionals for the TV Series in 1981! NO "model" General Lee was EVER made prior to that date that Warner Bro's Licensed! Sadly tho? Even tho, the kit was made and sold By AMT-ERTL, the car, is wrong! The body is of a '69 Charger 500! When the real General Lee was the '69 Charger R/T! BECAUSE its a mistake, a factory error that got past the QC of the day, makes it seriously valuable....When I bought it for 50 cents? I had no idea it was worth a red cent I mean crap, it was just about a model that was junk, BUT the decals is what lured me in! MINT shape! I didn't know of its valve till about 10 years ago, and sadly, I've had the model now for damn near 20 years! The local Hobby Shop proudly displays it for me!

The mistake however, was from the model itself being built and offered from the AMT-ERTL line up when they offered a actual "normal" model of the '69 Dodge Charger 500, somehow back then the 2 different models got mixed up in the sales, I HAD the box to the model too.....Sadly about 3 years ago it went up in flames in my old home place as my Mom packed it away and she passed away, and I was never able to find it again!:banghead:

Interesting, what ya learn, isn't it?

You have to remember with me, I used to work in a antique toy shop, for a number of years and those old "Promo's" taught me a few tricks, and then got into Scale model trains, anything from N scale to G scale and owned a shop of my own, repairing, and custom building you name (I was once certified by Lionel for repairs and customizations to undecorated items) and made a nice early retirement from it due to my health. BUT I still own EVERYTHING! I bought and paid for all my collectors books and everything in between. these things stick out like a sore thumb.....you know? Even tho, my shops "closed" I'm still a modeler at heart, and have an "eye" for things.....

Just as you said, that GSX, its not a "big name" collectable, TILL those that are, are gone and the WANT is still there then that cheapie, one you thought "nahhhh, no one will ever want it" AT THAT time will then become collectable.....

I have an OLD AMT-ERTL, 1981 Licensed Warner Bros. General Lee model. Kit was bought at a yardsale beat to crap, for 50 cents.....This same kit ABLE to see that marking? $1,400!!!!! There are around 103 of them listed as "owned" out of a possible 3,000 made! This was a "Collectable Register" of these models, one that I probably ought to update as it hasn't been done in a number of years.... They were Warner Bros. Promotionals for the TV Series in 1981! NO "model" General Lee was EVER made prior to that date that Warner Bro's Licensed! Sadly tho? Even tho, the kit was made and sold By AMT-ERTL, the car, is wrong! The body is of a '69 Charger 500! When the real General Lee was the '69 Charger R/T! BECAUSE its a mistake, a factory error that got past the QC of the day, makes it seriously valuable....When I bought it for 50 cents? I had no idea it was worth a red cent I mean crap, it was just about a model that was junk, BUT the decals is what lured me in! MINT shape! I didn't know of its valve till about 10 years ago, and sadly, I've had the model now for damn near 20 years! The local Hobby Shop proudly displays it for me!

The mistake however, was from the model itself being built and offered from the AMT-ERTL line up when they offered a actual "normal" model of the '69 Dodge Charger 500, somehow back then the 2 different models got mixed up in the sales, I HAD the box to the model too.....Sadly about 3 years ago it went up in flames in my old home place as my Mom packed it away and she passed away, and I was never able to find it again!:banghead:

Interesting, what ya learn, isn't it?

I want to see a pic of this $1400 amt general lee. I had numerous GL kits growing up back in the late 70's early 80's. the GL kit was based on the MPC charger 500 because that's all that they had and they were not retooling the body for the regular charger because it was "close enough". the original charger 500 was a 2-n-1 MPC release , which was used adding a decal set, standard 69 grill/bumper ,wheels, brush guard and cage. the GL kits even had "hemi" badges on the doors and a tiny 500 emblem on the trunk lid which were not removed . I bet I had at least 20 different GL/500 kits growning up. the tooling for the GL was the mpc charger 500 and already out before the GL. after the GL run, MPC re-released the charger 500 as another 2-n-1 kit, and after AMT bought out MPC, it was reboxed again amt style using the original tooling. if you can find the original mpc charger 500 new in the box , (I have only seen pics , and I cant find one now) released in 1970, now you have a valuable kit. the GL was also re-released as an AMT with its own new tooling after they bought out MPC. that's how it all went down. if you notice ALL amt/ertl 1/25 scale models used to be MPC

Attachments

• 2.1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 2.2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 2.3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.4.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.6.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.5.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.7.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 2.8.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 146
I beg to differ, look up the Warner Bro's copyright date to the release of the first GL release, will have a year of 1981.....I'm unsure of the actual date as far as month and day.....

The model I have, when I am able, I'll get you pictures, it has "Warner Bro's" right in the bottom of the car, pretty sure on the frame, AND the inside of the underside of the cars roof!

You ARE right however on the Charger R/T and the model of it being of the Charger 500, it was NOT all that was offered, however, as the MPC offering of the R/T was out BEFORE the 500! Was a factory mix up, As said in the collectors book, the models were being produced, and packaged in Dyersville Iowa in 1981, side-by-side.....The employees doing this, however made the mix up of about/around 1,000 models of this first production model car, out of the 3,000 made. They were promo's for the show. Which that too, is under the history of AMT and the Warner Bro's contract!

at any rate , the GL chargers tooling for the back window recess remained unchanged until after AMT bought MPC and re-released it around 1996-97. even the box art was identical to the MPC except for the AMT/Ertl logo. up to that point they were all still 500's with a few GL specific parts

IIRC, the 69 charger R/T tooling was not MPC mold or release , but not sure on that.

its not that I don't believe you, but prove me wrong LOL

I have kit-bashed , built , destroyed , won contests with literally 100's and 100's of mopar models since I was a kid, that is how I grew to love them so much, outside of the badass iron my dad used to own.

this AMT kit here, in fact has the recessed rear window, but it still wasn't correct. I don't understand why they could never get it right. I used a new Revell 69 charger r/t and kit bashed the AMT to build an accurate GL

Attachments

• 2.9.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 3.0.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 112
...I hear ya. the rear window in my model that I spoke about, dates "Warner Bros 1981, "Made by AMT-ERTL" by permission" all in a block either on the underside of the model, OR on the bottom of the interior of the car, (I WILL rip the frame out from under on it if I have too, as this model, currently is being displayed at the local hobby shop!) Those you speak of, The "orange" pictured one, was the release from Wal-Mart.......... How do I know? The pictured decal sheet, is small in size! The old ones, or well the newest versions of them first found at Wal-Mart were "cast offs". See, Wal-Mart has companies, try to lesson quality a bit to get them cheaper to sell them at a lower rate. (I found this out by this EXACT model.. they were and could be found at the local hobby shop at that time late 90's early 2000's, the Wal-Mart version were orange bodies, the "pro" or well Hobby Shop versions, were white! I've got that same box, right now, with a WHITE unpainted body in it just like the new releases! I'll have to look to see if there is a date on the box!

As for my old one, When I have the chance to bring it home and do the thing to get pictures, I'll be sure to post them!

-
Back