WTH is this that just fell out of my /6?!

-

72Dodge

Reaction score
Changing plugs, pulled out the spark plug tube and wiped around and a little inside the plug hole with the tube out. This thing fell on the floor. Now, I'm not 100% sure it fell out of the hole. Maybe it was sitting near it, or who knows. But. What is it? And is my car going to run better without it (not supposed to be there) or with it (more work for me)?

'72 stock 225 slant 6.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-8-12 at 3.17 PM.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 734
it looks like a thingymabobber doohikey. it goes in the whatcymajigger

sorry, im no help , new one on me

I hope you're right, and it's not like an important part of the valve train. I could just pop the thing apart and see, but why make more work for myself now if it's just a random doohikey.

It is not a tightener for a loosener this much I know.

It almost looks like a bullet.

That's funny, as I was looking at it, I was thinking it would be odd if there had been a bullet in my engine. New meaning to detonation.

Looks like something from a carburetor. Can you take a few more pics. What type of a motor is it out of?

it does look like a tiawanese special order mushroom headed .38 caliber

It's just slightly smaller (thinner), but slightly longer than a .22LR bullet. When I first saw it on the floor, that's what I thought it was, but I've never had my 22 in the garage, or near my Dart for that matter!

It's just slightly smaller (thinner), but slightly longer than a .22LR bullet. When I first saw it on the floor, that's what I thought it was, but I've never had my 22 in the garage, or near my Dart for that matter!

it looks a little like one of those pins that holds the brake pedal to the master cylinder rod..

Looks like something from a carburetor. Can you take a few more pics. What type of a motor is it out of?

Interesting, I guess if anything, that's what it looks like. stock '72 225 /6, 1 barrel.

Here's each end. Not the best pics, but there's really not much to the thing. No hidden detail that you can't see in the pics.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-8-12 at 3.44 PM.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 691
  • Photo on 4-8-12 at 3.44 PM #2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 708
OK, for now, I'm going to put it in that tiny center drawer in my toolbox that nothing really fits in, so I throw all the random little crap in there. You know, the leftover parts from when you put something back together LOL. And... keep on driving.

If anyone does happen to know what it is, by all means let us all know. I just hate it when random unknown crap falls off of or out of a car!

(Thanks all for the info, or more like guesses and entertainment!)

that piece looks like maybe the end off a pushrod that came loose.maybe the person that owned it prior to you had to replace one somewhere along the line. just a guess.

The car sat for 13 years, and we only ran it long enough to get it started, then later to pull it off the trailer and into the garage. It sounded fine, but maybe I should open it up just to see what's in there (or what is now missing) before running it more.

Or yeah, if that is it, maybe it was replaced and they dropped the piece inside. I sure hope so.

Anyone know for sure if this is a /6 part?

Bless America, I wish I hadn't missed out on that rebuilt /6 head for $100 here a few weeks ago!

I'll be a son-of-a-gun! I also found one of those on my garage floor after moving my Duster around. Also a '72 Duster, it had a /6.
Is your charcoal canister hooked up? Has it ever been monkeyed with?

This thing showed up on my floor after I had been working with the old fuel lines. I made a not-so "swag" (scientific wild *** guess) that this thing is a check valve that is in the line that runs from the charcoal canister back to the fuel tank. The '72 FSM shows it in a diagram and makes mention of it, but doesn't really show one up close and personal.
My not-so swag...
C

Interesting. I like that answer better than it being something in the valve train LOL

My charcoal canister is hooked up. As a matter of fact, I just replaced the filter in the bottom of it today. And, I also put on a new PCV valve, and replaced the hose that goes from the PCV valve to a plastic T, and the hose that goes from that T to the charcoal canister. On the other side of that T is another hose.
Seems unlikely to me that it would have been in any of those hoses. I haven't disturbed anything else. I haven't disturbed anything that goes back to the fuel tank though.

???

Possibly the core to a pcv valve? Check the one on the engine, look for a spring that fits around the outside of that-catches on the flange on the big end. If it has been replaced you don't know if the spring is sitting in the engine somewhere.

Possibly the core to a pcv valve?

Hmmmm... the old PCV valve was very brittle and broke when I removed it. I didn't pay any attention to it, just chucked it out and put the new one on. Totally possible this could have fallen out. Oh, which makes total sense that it seems like I pulled it out of the head if it fell in. If you're right, it's a damn good thing I just happened to pull it out of there before I started the car up again!

I'm almost positive you're right about this. It's exactly what I was doing right before I found this. Can anyone confirm?

i could go out and break one apart but then i would have to look for it and i would probably end up getting sidetracked lol. i havent seen the inside of one, but that seems to make sense...

I think it's something left over form the assembly line form when it was put together

-
Back