zoom flywheel questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I found a zoom flywheel on summit racing website. Its a 130T , for a 10.5" clutch, 6 bolt , neutral balance. Would be perfect for my 318 build, but it says it fits 318s from 1985 to 1992. Part number is 50-3409 in summit catalog. I think this is a zoom part number.

I am wondering if theres really any difference between this and an application for a 1974 year model 318. All the specs are what i am looking for except the year model fitment is throwing me off.

Anybody know if this part will fit and work. Price is right on this one. Id like to know 4 sure before i pull the trigger on one of these.

Thanks in advance
Matt

I've been running that flywheel on my 318 now for about 8 months with no problems so far. My engine is a '68 model but it should work on a '74 just fine. Post '92 is a magnum which is externally balanced from what I understand and the LA 318's are internally balanced. What kind of power is your engine making? It's a stock replacement so if you're planning on big power you probably want to invest in a different flywheel that's rated for that.

Also take a look at 440Source they have a small block flywheel that is for both the nuetral balance of the 318 and the external balance of the 360 by removing or adding a bolt on weight. I use this flywheel and it works well in my internal balanced 360

I am building a mild 318. K&B flattops, performer rpm.intake , 56cc magnum closed chamber styled pro comp heads, nice comp cams cam kit. Eddy 650, prob about 375hp

Funny thing is i called up Zoom techline today. This guy couldent tell me weather or not this flywheel fit apps older than 1985, and then told me they dont make parts for those older cars!!! I was like WTF!!!

So i can assume that a standard 10.5" 32T splined mopar clutch would fit this flywheel then. Dowel pins and bolt holes line up then?

Matt

Any standard 10.5" clutch should fit no problem as long as it's the right spline count for the input shaft on the trans. I wouldn't worry too much about it bolting up to the flywheel. Bolt holes lined up just fine on mine, I'm using a McLeod 10.5" 23 spline clutch and pressure plate kit rated for 350hp. 375hp is probably on the high end of what you'd want to run with this flywheel. It is a stock replacement after all. But then again I'm getting ready to build a 340 and I intend on reusing the Zoom flywheel, if it explodes i'll let you know. I think it'd still work with your engine, but if you want peace of mind then the 440Source flywheel is only $100 more.

I wonder then why the guy in their tech department kept putting me on hold, then told me it wouldent work with a 1974 318 with a 10.5" clutch ?

I found a zoom flywheel on summit racing website. Its a 130T , for a 10.5" clutch, 6 bolt , neutral balance. Would be perfect for my 318 build, but it says it fits 318s from 1985 to 1992. Part number is 50-3409 in summit catalog. I think this is a zoom part number.

I am wondering if theres really any difference between this and an application for a 1974 year model 318. All the specs are what i am looking for except the year model fitment is throwing me off.

Anybody know if this part will fit and work. Price is right on this one. Id like to know 4 sure before i pull the trigger on one of these.

Thanks in advance
Matt
hi < I was just searching through old threads on info about flywheels for 318. I wanted to know if this zoom flywheel worked out for you. I am thinking of purchasing that one also. I wonder if the od of the teeth was 13.19 inches and the id 12.5 inches. some info I read says it is total width 14 inches which would not fit my bell.
thanks

hi < I was just searching through old threads on info about flywheels for 318. I wanted to know if this zoom flywheel worked out for you. I am thinking of purchasing that one also. I wonder if the od of the teeth was 13.19 inches and the id 12.5 inches. some info I read says it is total width 14 inches which would not fit my bell.
thanks
Webt another direction after getting a 360. Still need a flywheel

Webt another direction after getting a 360. Still need a flywheel
if you don't want to spend a fortune. Luk, APT and zoom sell them with weight kits. they are priced right. I am sure some will say they are not good but I have used these brands on mustangs and other cars. no issue

I was looking at a counterweighted version thats being sold thru 440source. Part number 113-1034. Its a 6 bolt for 10.50" clutch. $149 each. Has provisions for attachable counterweights for 360s, or no counterweights for neutral balance.

Last edited:
I'm running the 440Source billet steel flywheel. Good product for the money and the included counterweight is great for external balance 340's like mine and 360's.

Nice quality and 440Source has great customer support too.

I'm running the 440Source billet steel flywheel. Good product for the money and the included counterweight is great for external balance 340's like mine and 360's.

Nice quality and 440Source has great customer support too.
I just ordered the brute force a luk FLW215 which cross references to the brute 50-3409. I got it from rockauto as they have the best shipping and import fees for me to get it to canada. 440 source and most ebay stuff have huge fees to import into canada. with rockauto U get the exact price including shipping, tax and import fees. so that's why I like them and even with the exchange on the dollar and shipping and what not still half the price as buying in canada. I buy a lot of stuff at rockauto

Ok, now for the big question. I will be running a 360, a mid 70s aluminum V8 bellhousing, and an A833 O/D trans. I have pieced this together from multiple sources, and dont have a flywheel.

What diameter flywheel do i need to be able to engage the starter . 130T, or 143T ?

Can i assume 130T is for 10.50" clutch
And 143T is for 10.50" and 11" clutches

Ok, now for the big question. I will be running a 360, a mid 70s aluminum V8 bellhousing, and an A833 O/D trans. I have pieced this together from multiple sources, and dont have a flywheel.

What diameter flywheel do i need to be able to engage the starter . 130T, or 143T ?

Can i assume 130T is for 10.50" clutch
And 143T is for 10.50" and 11" clutches

130t. the O.D is slightly over 13" and inside of tooth pitch or root is approx. 12" +. The reason I went with that flywheel is because that was the same diameter as the ring gear on my automatic torque converter. also from what I could decipher from all the info I researched. this should be the right one. It is the one that most consistently say's 10.5 clutch. there is so much info with no definitive answers that I more less made my own conclusions. I think it was the summit website that had that flywheel stating it fits all chrysler small block V8s. don't quote my on it being summit because I searched numerous manufactures, retailers and forums before deciding on that flywheel.
once my flywheel arrives I will bolt the starter to the bellhousing on the bench and block the flywheel up inside the bellhousing. then see if I can mate them by hand or something to see if they match. I also think if you could measure the larger diameter of the root. (distance of space between two teeth and approx depth) on flywheel and starter that would tell you if they will engage.

I aso found out today from the grizzled old mopar guy im friends with that i need the 130T flywheel. That te 143T for the 11 inch clutch was standard on 440 6 pack cars and Hemi cars. He said everything else was 130T and 10.5" clutch.

I aso found out today from the grizzled old mopar guy im friends with that i need the 130T flywheel. That te 143T for the 11 inch clutch was standard on 440 6 pack cars and Hemi cars. He said everything else was 130T and 10.5" clutch.
ok so I got my flywheel from rockauto
1989 DODGE DAKOTA 3.9L 239cid V6
LUK LFW215 Flywheel . I mounted flywheel and bellhousing to engine. mounted the starter in place. it is a 10 tooth starter that was on the 727 auto. I engaged the the starter by just pushing the bendix out by hand . it engages perfectly. as I held it engaged I had my son rotate the engine from the front. (battery disconnected of course!). my opinion is that any 10 tooth starter will likely work with your flywheel and bellhousing. hope that helps.

ok so I got my flywheel from rockauto
LUK LFW215 Flywheel . I mounted flywheel and bellhousing to engine. mounted the starter in place. it is a 10 tooth starter that was on the 727 auto. I engaged the the starter by just pushing the bendix out by hand . it engages perfectly. as I held it engaged I had my son rotate the engine from the front. (battery disconnected of course!). my opinion is that any 10 tooth starter will likely work with your flywheel and bellhousing. hope that helps.

Thats great if it works. Is the 3.9L V6 internally balanced using a neutral balance flywheel like a 318? Or is it externally balanced like a 360 with holes drilled in the flywheel.

I looked in rock auto through the late 70s volares with V8 and standard shift trying to cross reference your part number. Nothing shows.

Thats great if it works. Is the 3.9L V6 internally balanced using a neutral balance flywheel like a 318? Or is it externally balanced like a 360 with holes drilled in the flywheel.

I looked in rock auto through the late 70s volares with V8 and standard shift trying to cross reference your part number. Nothing shows.
yes it is internal balanced
LUK LFW215 Flywheel (8483.50.0010) CAD$ 72.27 CAD$ 0.00 1 CAD$ 72.27

-
Back