12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

-
Knocked out some small items but otherwise didn't work on the car much this past weekend. I painted the Cerakote on the radiator overflow tank and power steering reservoir and got each of them back installed. Power steering lines are done except 1 fitting at the pump. I did receive the Turn1 flow reducer and I also installed the pressure reducer from Sublime. I'm hoping the combination of those two items work with the steering rack. I received all the parts for the air intake tube and filter. I need to weld a 1/2" pipe coupling in it for the IAT sensor and I'll also make a small bracket to help support it. Once the welding done, I'll paint the tube with Cerakote.
I also made another throttle body adapter. In my first version, I had the center of the intake opening matching the center of the 90mm t-body opening with a bevel all around to taper it down to the smaller hole. This made some things very close on the throttle lever. On my second version, I lined up the bottom and simply beveled the top gradually going to no taper on the bottom. I didn't take any pics but I'll snap some if I ever take it off.
I'm about 50% done with my throttle cable bracket. I'll post up some pics when it's done.
5-25.jpg

Since I switched to a dual pass radiator to keep the inlet/outlet on the right side, that means the cap will be on the opposite side. This means I had to make a new steel overflow line.
5-25a.jpg
5-25B.jpg

Knocked out some small items but otherwise didn't work on the car much this past weekend. I painted the Cerakote on the radiator overflow tank and power steering reservoir and got each of them back installed. Power steering lines are done except 1 fitting at the pump. I did receive the Turn1 flow reducer and I also installed the pressure reducer from Sublime. I'm hoping the combination of those two items work with the steering rack. I received all the parts for the air intake tube and filter. I need to weld a 1/2" pipe coupling in it for the IAT sensor and I'll also make a small bracket to help support it. Once the welding done, I'll paint the tube with Cerakote.
I also made another throttle body adapter. In my first version, I had the center of the intake opening matching the center of the 90mm t-body opening with a bevel all around to taper it down to the smaller hole. This made some things very close on the throttle lever. On my second version, I lined up the bottom and simply beveled the top gradually going to no taper on the bottom. I didn't take any pics but I'll snap some if I ever take it off.
I'm about 50% done with my throttle cable bracket. I'll post up some pics when it's done.
View attachment 1716255514

Since I switched to a dual pass radiator to keep the inlet/outlet on the right side, that means the cap will be on the opposite side. This means I had to make a new steel overflow line.
View attachment 1716255513View attachment 1716255512
Getting close to start up!

Here's the new throttle body adapter I made that is raised over the last one. I lined up the bottom of the hole and rounded the top. The picture makes the bottom look like it isn't aligned but it is.
t-body adapter.jpg

These gates shrink clamps are badass! So much better looking than a screw clamp.
hose clamp.jpg

Got the IAT bung welded in. just need to cerakote the tube.
IAT.jpg

For those not following my summarized thread in the swap section, I got the engine fired up. Lots of tuning to do, but the wife had enough of the open headers. I'll get the exhaust done before I continue tuning. It sounds pretty good. It really wants to rev quick above 3000RPM.

Intake tube painted to match, and HEMI badging on the coil covers painted body color. This thing looks awesome in there. I don't think I could be any happier than the way it looks. A friend came to check it out and he said it looks like the car came with it. Mission accomplished!
complete 3.jpg
complete 2.jpg
complete.jpg

Side note and back to the improved handing topic. After some preliminary measuring, I think I'm going to change the lower ball joints to a 1/2" longer design. This will put my LCAs on a slight upward angle toward the center of the car, further raising the roll center.

Here's the new throttle body adapter I made that is raised over the last one. I lined up the bottom of the hole and rounded the top. The picture makes the bottom look like it isn't aligned but it is.
View attachment 1716257703
These gates shrink clamps are badass! So much better looking than a screw clamp.
View attachment 1716257702
Got the IAT bung welded in. just need to cerakote the tube.
View attachment 1716257701

For those not following my summarized thread in the swap section, I got the engine fired up. Lots of tuning to do, but the wife had enough of the open headers. I'll get the exhaust done before I continue tuning. It sounds pretty good. It really wants to rev quick above 3000RPM.

How do the Gates ends attach? "These gates shrink clamps are badass! So much better looking than a screw clamp." I just did all the pfte stuff and I have no leaks but was a bit worried. I also cant seem to find the nice fasteners to hang these lines attached to firewall or to say the AC compressor holes for fuel line. Been meaning to look at your thread as I know you made this very clean and it sure makes a huge difference all that rubber crap gone. I ran an 6 from tank to carb and AN 8 for my ZF swap to cooler up front, what a huge difference! Also curious on master cylinder part number I am going to get rid of my power brakes and go with the 7/8 I believe it is unit.

How do the Gates ends attach? "These gates shrink clamps are badass! So much better looking than a screw clamp." I just did all the pfte stuff and I have no leaks but was a bit worried. I also cant seem to find the nice fasteners to hang these lines attached to firewall or to say the AC compressor holes for fuel line. Been meaning to look at your thread as I know you made this very clean and it sure makes a huge difference all that rubber crap gone. I ran an 6 from tank to carb and AN 8 for my ZF swap to cooler up front, what a huge difference! Also curious on master cylinder part number I am going to get rid of my power brakes and go with the 7/8 I believe it is unit.
Those aren't Gates ends on the heater hoses. It's just an AN to hose barb adapter. The Gates clamp is pretty much plastic heat shrink. Just slide it on and heat it with a heat gun. All of the fuel line and AN fittings are Evil Energy brand found on Amazon. It may be hard to see, but I have some aluminum separators on the heater hoses. I'm sure I got those on Amazon as well. You can use a rubber lined P-clamp to secure lines to something. I normally paint them black before installing.
I think my master cylinder is 15/16", maybe? I know Dr. Diff sells them. Many of the 80s era Mopars used this type of master cylinder. If I remember right, the caravan may have had the 15/16" or something very close. Look around on rockauto.com. That site is a great resource for parts information.

Last week was a mad thrash to button up a couple small items and get the AC charged so I could get to autocross over the weekend. I was able to get everything done, then my O2 sensor failed. Fortunately, I was able to find one at a local auto parts, but of course the connector was wrong. Since the wires were the same color, I decided to just try to cut the wrong connector off and splice the correct one on. Luckily, it worked. My local SCCA is currently trying new venues and the one they are trying this month is 90 miles from my house. I figured 20-30 miles of test driving would be good break in for a 180 mile trip with some autocross in between, right? The car ran flawlessly on the way to the track. Coolant temp held steady at 190 degrees the whole way with the AC on. I was super excited to try out this course since it was a combination of normal parking lot autocross and the second half was on a section of road course with some long sweeping turns. My first run started great, until I hit the slalom. The combination of pressure and flow regulators I put in the pump did not work. I pretty much lost all steering assist with fast sawing of the wheel. I was very disappointed and frustrated. All the hustling to make it to that day and I couldn't even run. I packed my **** and drove home defeated. The good news (or not good news) is the heat index was 110 when I was driving home and coolant temp never got over 190 with the AC on. I took a different route home which was all interstate and cruised at 72-75MPH with no problem.
So here's what I put in the pump and maybe some gurus can offer some advice. I used the 800-850psi pressure reducer in the pump, the one Sublime sells. and I also used the Turn one 2.5gpm flow regulator. I realize this is the combo of parts he recommends for a steering box, but I used the same pump from the steering box on the rack and it worked fine. I figured matching that would be good. Obviously I was wrong. Once I got home and the car cooled off, I took the pressure regulator out and it had 2 shims totaling .060'. I took those out and tried it. sitting still sawing the wheel feels better. This was with the engine idling. Perhaps I just didn't have enough pressure? I'll find an empty parking lot and pretend I'm doing a slalom to see if it fixed it. I sure hope it will be this easy. I've found some mixed information online regarding what pressure a T-bird/M2 rack needs. I've seen 800 and I've seen 1200. Sublime's video on the pressure regulator mentions a Corrolla pump is around 1000. Maybe I need to get one of those to try it.
Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. Since everyone likes pictures, here' you go.

One more thing. The regulars at auto cross that know my car stopped in there tracks when they saw the hood open and were like, "That's new!"
6-24-24b.jpg
6-24-24a.jpg
6-24-24.jpg

Tim, for gosh sakes, look what you've accomplished over the past three months!

You broke the LA, but likely did destroyed it
You assembled the GEN III
Rewired, installed, it looks super clean!
You got it up and running and have driven it 200+ miles in the Louisiana summer with working A/C again!
You can cruise in the 70MPH range without any heat issues!
AND, you know the car is already sorted out with possibly a few differences in weight distribution and tire pressures

You'll get the P/S issue sorted before MoParty.

I'm autocrossing June 30, July 14, 21 & 28. I'm so fortunate my venue is 5 miles from my house, and I know how lucky I am to have a car that I can go out and bang on without fear. I can't wait to get these Black GEN III Hemi Dusters back together in September. Hang in there buddy, you got this!

IMG_9607-X3.jpg
IMG_9661-X3.jpg
IMG_9712-X3.jpg

Tim, for gosh sakes, look what you've accomplished over the past three months!

You broke the LA, but likely did destroyed it
You assembled the GEN III
Rewired, installed, it looks super clean!
You got it up and running and have driven it 200+ miles in the Louisiana summer with working A/C again!
You can cruise in the 70MPH range without any heat issues!
AND, you know the car is already sorted out with possibly a few differences in weight distribution and tire pressures

You'll get the P/S issue sorted before MoParty.

I'm autocrossing June 30, July 14, 21 & 28. I'm so fortunate my venue is 5 miles from my house, and I know how lucky I am to have a car that I can go out and bang on without fear. I can't wait to get these Black GEN III Hemi Dusters back together in September. Hang in there buddy, you got this!

View attachment 1716266682View attachment 1716266684View attachment 1716266685
Thanks for the encouragement Brian.
Dang I'm jealous you have all those events in the next month! You're going to wear out some tires! We take off July and August because of the heat. I won't be able to autocross again until Moparty. I guess that gives me time to put some miles on it and fix anything that comes up.
Oh, one more thing that is an underrated benefit to the G3. No oil leaks, not even a seep! It's so nice to be able to keep the engine compartment clean.

It's been hot here for STL, low to middle 90 with no "real" humidity, even though the locals think it's really humid. Living in the Houston area for almost 29 years, and you living down in Louisiana, we know a thing or two about heat and humidity! And yes, with my Holley pan and my fixed GFI 855, ZERO leaks. It's almost like it's a new car, at least in that regard! I'll have two or three more additional autocross events before MoParty in August and early September. One thing about STL, with two autocross organizations, STL SCCA, and BSCC (Boeing Sports Car Club) both running at the same venue 5 miles from me, and an NHRA track 30 miles from me, the car culture is crazy here with 3 Cars & Coffee a month, and multiple car shows every weekend. I go to the C&C events as they are laid back and you don't see the "Look, but don't touch" signs. I think you know how I feel about that! We're going to have a time on the track in Bowling Green, I can't wait!

You said you changed connectors on your new O2 sensor. Is it WB or NB? WB sensors have a calibration resistor in the connector. Changing the connector changes the calibration of the sensor. Just FYI.

You said you changed connectors on your new O2 sensor. Is it WB or NB? WB sensors have a calibration resistor in the connector. Changing the connector changes the calibration of the sensor. Just FYI.
It's a wide band. Good info. I didn't know that. The sensor is reading the same as as the other one before it died.

-
Back