1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
I got Vixen's brake shoe hold down sprAngs replaced today, cleaned, adjusted and lubricated her drum brakes and she stops slick as a whistle.

Rob, one trick people use for those hard to find lug nuts is they still use the stock acorn nut, then put the aftermarket chrome one on after that so they stick through the cover, the long stock ones are tough to find, and I believe the 13” covers used slightly shorter ones than the wider 14” wheels too so they would stick out the same amount.

Which ones did you use? They look great on Vixen, I like those wheel covers! I have a bunch of 13” ones, as cool as they are it’s really hard to sell them since not many people want them anymore…the 14’s are hard to find but the value seems to be dropping on those now too….strange.

Rob, one trick people use for those hard to find lug nuts is they still use the stock acorn nut, then put the aftermarket chrome one on after that so they stick through the cover, the long stock ones are tough to find, and I believe the 13” covers used slightly shorter ones than the wider 14” wheels too so they would stick out the same amount.

Which ones did you use? They look great on Vixen, I like those wheel covers! I have a bunch of 13” ones, as cool as they are it’s really hard to sell them since not many people want them anymore…the 14’s are hard to find but the value seems to be dropping on those now too….strange.
I used this style rat cheer.
LUG NUT.jpg

So Vixen got another quarter glass sticker. She's quickly runnin outta room. lol @Stephen Hotz and his lovely wife Claudia came buy for a visit the other day and he was kind enough to drop off some "Just Drive It!" stickers. That's the name of his Youtube channel. For those of you who may not be subscribed, I highly recommend it. He does some really cool stuff there.

JUST DRIVE IT!.JPG

So Vixen got another quarter glass sticker. She's quickly runnin outta room. lol @Stephen Hotz and his lovely wife Claudia came buy for a visit the other day and he was kind enough to drop off some "Just Drive It!" stickers. That's the name of his Youtube channel. For those of you who may not be subscribed, I highly recommend it. He does some really cool stuff there.

View attachment 1716103664
Heck the rascal did not even tell me he had a Utube channel!!!!

Sorry I have not updated in a bit. As usual, no extra dough to do anything with. I've had my new ring and pinion for quite some time though and I went ahead and made that swap. I caught them on sale at Summit. Summit brand ring and pinion. I believe they are made by Richmond. Less than 150 bucks shipped. Just one more reason to love a Ford 9".
Here's the drive side pattern.
GEAR PATTERN DRIVE SIDE.jpg

The coast side pattern.
GEAR PATTERN COAST SIDE.jpg

And back assembled. Now all I need is a pair of axles, but that's a chunk of money away yet. It'll come.
A BODY 9 INCH.jpg

Rob what’s the length and spline count you need? I come across stuff all the time, I’ll keep an eye out.
I have it all written down somewhere. But I need custom stuff. Has to be 31 spline Ford 9" on the spline side, but Chrysler A body small bolt pattern flanges on the wheel side, so they're gonna have to be custom.

Sorry I have not updated in a bit. As usual, no extra dough to do anything with. I've had my new ring and pinion for quite some time though and I went ahead and made that swap. I caught them on sale at Summit. Summit brand ring and pinion. I believe they are made by Richmond. Less than 150 bucks shipped. Just one more reason to love a Ford 9".
Here's the drive side pattern.
View attachment 1716155534

The coast side pattern.
View attachment 1716155535

And back assembled. Now all I need is a pair of axles, but that's a chunk of money away yet. It'll come.
View attachment 1716155536
What, no "POSI" :) :)

What, no "POSI" :) :)
Correct. Not as of now, at least. I'm looking at the Powertrax No Spin unit that replaces the spider gear assembly and acts like a Detroit Locker. If I can squeeze it out of the budget before I install the rear end, I'll put that in it.

Good morning Rusty, if I didn't locate an 8 1/4 just 35 miles away for 100 bucks I would have not hesitated to do the same. Do you have a list of parts needed next ? Other then rearend parts ??

Good morning Rusty, if I didn't locate an 8 1/4 just 35 miles away for 100 bucks I would have not hesitated to do the same. Do you have a list of parts needed next ? Other then rearend parts ??
I do not. I'm not that organized. LOL I wouldn't be building the Ford 9" had it not been given to me. A friend just said "come get it out of my way" and I gladly obliged him. lol

I can say I need torsion bars. I haven't decided on which ones yet.

I do not. I'm not that organized. LOL I wouldn't be building the Ford 9" had it not been given to me. A friend just said "come get it out of my way" and I gladly obliged him. lol

I can say I need torsion bars. I haven't decided on which ones yet.
I haven't driven at high speed (55 60 ) yet, but the stock TB with my sway bar up front is very adequate for the v8. The front Sway Bar made a mind bending difference on Victoria back 12 or so years ago

Last edited:
Those are stronger than people give them credit for. Good units.
They are fine for a slant six, or a mild V-8, and are cheap when found, as the Ford guys remove them for 9 inch units. They come in quite a few different widths, and if the right one is found just about a drop in for a Mopar "A" body.

Hope you don't mind me sharing this here Rob, but I wanted you to see where I am

Hope you don't mind me sharing this here Rob, but I wanted you to see where I am

I remember your car from years back. Looks like you removed the slant-six for a 360 V-8. Good you aren't in California since gas is currently $6.50/gal. I have 3 1960's Mopars with slant, 273, and 383, and keeping the OE engine in each. Not tagged and insured since have 4 other vehicles to drive currently.

I remember your car from years back. Looks like you removed the slant-six for a 360 V-8. Good you aren't in California since gas is currently $6.50/gal. I have 3 1960's Mopars with slant, 273, and 383, and keeping the OE engine in each. Not tagged and insured since have 4 other vehicles to drive currently.
Yes I have, I removed the front suspension for the 73/76 model disk brakes, 8 1/4 rearend now. 287 sure grip, gas was 2.78 a gallon yesterday, tagged and insured still, one project at my age, this will be my last, but I do have a 57 Feather Craft Rocket that will be built and painted to be pulled behind her, hope to make a few long trip in her again soon.
Like to go to RustyRatRod (Rob) home and meet him and his wife, look at Vicksin and that cool ford work truck he has built

Yes I have, I removed the front suspension for the 73/76 model disk brakes, 8 1/4 rearend now. 287 sure grip, gas was 2.78 a gallon yesterday, tagged and insured still, one project at my age, this will be my last, but I do have a 57 Feather Craft Rocket that will be built and painted to be pulled behind her, hope to make a few long trip in her again soon.
Like to go to RustyRatRod (Rob) home and meet him and his wife, look at Vicksin and that cool ford work truck he has built
My goodness, do i love the sound of that Cam!

-
Back