1965 Barracuda speedometer confusion

-

Waynaso

Reaction score
Hi,
My speedometer cable for my ‘65 Cuda (225) was frayed in half so I ordered the standard cable for $14 from Summit (same product recommended on Rock Auto And everywhere else). However, when I pulled my cable it doesn’t have the same connector but the one attached with the housing. I can’t find that for sale anywhere however. Am I missing something? Is it possible to remove the cable from the housing because it looks like one piece.
Thanks,
Wayne

780C030C-7AEC-4942-9098-6599886FE7C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
62 to 65 use the style cable you have. Your replacement is mostly likely one to fit 66 and newer. The 62- 65 are not easily found in good condition, but make a wanted post and I'll bet someone can help you out.

62 to 65 use the style cable you have. Your replacement is mostly likely one to fit 66 and newer. The 62- 65 are not easily found in good condition, but make a wanted post and I'll bet someone can help you out.

Ok, I was worried about that since it's often the case with 65 and under. Thanks for the quick response. I'll post to Wanted and cross my fingers.

What is the difference in the end (s)? Just one end and if so which? Is yours smaller or does it attach differently? I lucked out and got one for my 66 (I know) from Napa. I should order a extra if they discontinue them. LOL

What is the difference in the end (s)? Just one end and if so which? Is yours smaller or does it attach differently? I lucked out and got one for my 66 (I know) from Napa. I should order a extra if they discontinue them. LOL
The transmission end goes inside the trans. and holds the speedo gear unlike the 66 and up that threads on a seperate speedo gear at the trans.

My understanding is that '66 went to a more generic version which costs only $15 as opposed to the $130+ I'll have to spend. If you see the image above you'll notice the whole housing with the gear on there as one piece. No way to separate from what I can tell. So well done buying a '66 instead of the '65;)

My understanding is that '66 went to a more generic version which costs only $15 as opposed to the $130+ I'll have to spend. If you see the image above you'll notice the whole housing with the gear on there as one piece. No way to separate from what I can tell. So well done buying a '66 instead of the '65;)
I see. Thanks for the teaching. Can you pull the core out? Worth a try.

I see. Thanks for the teaching. Can you pull the core out? Worth a try.
I was trying but it's packed in tightly and I didn't want to damage it by hammering it on a vice. Another forum had a reference to Imperial Services and I contacted someone there Steven steve@promerican.com who confirmed that most websites show the wrong part (and price unfortunately) so it looks like unless someone responds in the Wanted forum I will have to fork out $150 #moparproblems

I was trying but it's packed in tightly and I didn't want to damage it by hammering it on a vice. Another forum had a reference to Imperial Services and I contacted someone there Steven steve@promerican.com who confirmed that most websites show the wrong part (and price unfortunately) so it looks like unless someone responds in the Wanted forum I will have to fork out $150 #moparproblems

So in the Wanted forum someone mentioned trying this for $8 SPEEDOMETER CABLE MAKE UP KIT Automotive Repair Universal Vehicle Fixture Parts | eBay
Worth a shot to maybe save the $140. I'll report back whether I can make it work.

I have not had my speedo cable out in years, does it not screw off the trans also? Thought it was a double screw ferule style.

I have not had my speedo cable out in years, does it not screw off the trans also? Thought it was a double screw ferule style.
It does however the '65 unscrews with the housing and gear as part of the cable. My understanding is that in '66 it switched to a simple screw with the housing and gear being separated so you don't need to replace it.

Ok so im dating myself as i changed to a later 67 trans 15 years ago! That one is probably the one i am thinking of. My bad.

It does however the '65 unscrews with the housing and gear as part of the cable. My understanding is that in '66 it switched to a simple screw with the housing and gear being separated so you don't need to replace it.

65 and earlier does NOT unscrew at the transmission. The O Ring basically holds it in place once it’s securely pushed in. On the 65 Barracuda I parted out there was also an exterior clip that bolted to the case. The gear is held in place by a half moon type clip.

-
Back