1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I'm not sure how I got it in my head that your car was gold. I went back to the beginning of your thread and I saw some gold paint on your rear quarter panel, but I realize now that this was a patch panel from a donor car. Actually it makes sense given that the factory Dart Chargers were yellow. I bet the combination of yellow outside and white/gold inside was a rare combo!

You had me thinking that the interior and exterior golds were different colors. I'm relieved now to learn that they are the same. We're planning to shoot color in the interior, trunk and engine compartment on Saturday. That means the paint will be purchased Thursday or Friday - no turning back!

I'm happy with the Lincoln color. It's very close the factory color, but with a little more life in it. I like the fact that it's a more recent factory color which I should be able to match in the future if necessary.

I do fully understand that this paint would be sacrilege for you. Here's to finishing both our cars in 2014!

John! 2014 is ok with me! I need to be ready by June 15th so I can send the car to Carlisle!

I will do what it takes to help you out with the restoration of your car. First package is on the way.

Happy New Year!

The postive battery cable that goes from the batterydown to the starter is held in place with one or two clips w/rubbered ends. I found out that there were two different mounting holes in them.One for a screw and one for a smaller bolt. I polished and redid one of them as well as the clips for the trunk hinge but the question is;

Should it be one or two of the clips?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 541
  • 002.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 534
  • 004.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 520
When I bought the interior from Legendary Auto Interiors I was pretty sure that material for the seat knobs were included. I was wrong! After I talked with Ron and Michael they were able to help me out. Today arrived some extra matrial 4" x 4". After cutting material for the eight seatknobs there were extra material for 16 knobs extra!!

First I thought that the color was different compare to the door panels and seats but they were dead on.

After trimming and putting them back in Place with a help of a hammer I was able to do 6 of them. Two with the short studs for nthe front seats and 4 ones with the longer studs for the front and rear seat.

If anyone has two seat knobs with the longer studs for sale I would be very interested.

I had some timeover so I did some polishing on the coat hook that goesup abobe the roof rail. After going through all of them I had I was able to find Three hooks with mint chrome. After some polishing of the hooks and screws they look new.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 510
  • 008.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 511
  • 006.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 536
  • 005.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 004.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 514
  • 003.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 529
  • 002.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 513
  • 001.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 521
I found a clip that I guess holds the wires to the alternator. Should this clip be on 1965 Dart and where was it mounted?

The type of washer in the picture what is it called?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 486
  • 002.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 003.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 491
Two with the short studs for nthe front seats and 4 ones with the longer studs for the front and rear seat.

When I removed the "knobs" - more commonly called seat medallions - from my GT's front and rear seats, they all had the longer studs. Different upholstery assembly plant?

If anyone has two seat knobs with the longer studs for sale I would be very interested.

[/QUOTE]

I should have several with the longer straps on them. I will look on Sunday which is my next day off.

When I removed the "knobs" - more commonly called seat medallions - from my GT's front and rear seats, they all had the longer studs. Different upholstery assembly plant?

I should have several with the longer straps on them. I will look on Sunday which is my next day off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Don! Looking forward to hear what you got!

slantsixdan Yes, that clip is for the alternator wire. It mounts to the back of the alternator. The other item is a split lockwasher.

Dan! Where does it add up? I cant find a trace of where it should be?

My friend Johan told me that there were two different nuts on the front hood moulding!! After some "I don't think so" I started to check it out. After I checked out the wagon I found out that the outer nuts was the more expensive ones and the rest was PAL nuts!!

The tejp that holds the wiring harness for the shifter seems to be some kind of wowen style. Does anyone know if this tejp can be bought?

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 005.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 456
  • 004.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 461
  • 003.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 454
"The tejp that holds the wiring harness for the shifter seems to be some kind of wowen style. Does anyone know if this tejp can be bought? "

Did it originally have adhesive on it? If so I bought some at the local hardware store. I forget the correct name for it but can look when I get to the shop.
Dallas

P.S. Dan beat me to the answer. They type I bought was called friction tape.

3M #11 acetate cloth electrical tape if you want adhesive on just one side — see here, on eBay here. Or 3M #1755 cotton friction overwrap tape if you want adhesive on both sides, see here and here.

As for where the 3-finger clip attaches, I'm not certain. I think it gets secured with a self-tapping screw to the "GRD" hole on the back of the alternator, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Dan and MOBodyman !

Dan! I checked out the Ebay ones and one is on it's way to Sweden. Thanks!

If someone has a picture on the clip attached to the alternator would be sweet!

Thanks FABO for all help.

This is the closest information I could get! Any one having an untouched 1965 or 1966 car with V8?

Attachments

• Skärmklipp.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 435
After some searching and checking out some old seats I was able to find out the place for the spring!

On the lower part of the seat is a adjustable screw for the backseat. When I checked out the mecanism I was able to find the place for the spring.The screw change the tension on the spring. It make the pulling back the back seat to upright position a Little stiffer.

The seat screw was painted black from factory.

On the undersid of the spring is trace after the adjustmant screw. On this spring is it a must to put some grease too.No I know why I have someproblem with the passenger seat in the convertible!!:banghead:

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 005.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 004.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 430
  • 002.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 433
  • 001.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 436
  • 003.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 419
  • 007.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 401
After some searching and checking out some old seats I was able to find out the place for the spring!

Thanks for solving the mystery! I wondered what those screws were for.

I checked the spare seat frames from my parts car and found two more. One more and I will have a complete set of 4. They must be here somewhere.

Thanks for solving the mystery! I wondered what those screws were for.

I checked the spare seat frames from my parts car and found two more. One more and I will have a complete set of 4. They must be here somewhere.

John! I checked my spare seat too but those two springs were broken! So I still need to find at least one more.

I talked with PPG today and they are in the process of mixing the yellow paint. But the gold paint is something different!

I have sent pictures of these parts. The ash tray is from my car and has been covered all it's life. The other part is from the steering column and the other part from underside the DART GT emblem on the upper door frame. Of cause the paint must have faded over the last 40+ years.

I had the test plate from the upper door frame as the one to use. Now I'm confused. The ash tray might be the best. PPG said that it was more like the old gold metallic paint. I think too!

Any comments?

As of the rest of the interior the other gold sections, lower part of door panels, carpet, dash pad, shifter console, package tray is more gold then my first choice. I think that needs to match up better as well. Or as PPG told me, use three different colors! That will make it more realistic!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 002.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 003.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 399
  • 004.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 387
I have sent pictures of these parts. The ash tray is from my car and has been covered all it's life. The other part is from the steering column and the other part from underside the DART GT emblem on the upper door frame. Of cause the paint must have faded over the last 40+ years.

I had the test plate from the upper door frame as the one to use. Now I'm confused. The ash tray might be the best. PPG said that it was more like the old gold metallic paint. I think too!

Any comments?

As of the rest of the interior the other gold sections, lower part of door panels, carpet, dash pad, shifter console, package tray is more gold then my first choice. I think that needs to match up better as well. Or as PPG told me, use three different colors! That will make it more realistic!

Your first picture has a large piece to the left which I assume is a test spray of some new paint. It has that taupe look to it that I really don't like personally.

In three of the pictures your ashtray looks like the wrong shade of gold. Too much yellow/brown compared to mine.

I'd say that piece from the steering column is more like my ashtray.

Perhaps you could find a body shop or paint store that has those same BASF paint samples for 98-99 cars that you can see in the picture I posted earlier to your thread. If you can find the 99 Ford BH paint chip, you will have a good idea of what my ashtray looks like.

I think the PPG rep is correct. There was probably a lot of variability in these paints.

I talked with PPG today and they are in the process of mixing the yellow paint. But the gold paint is something different!

Any comments?

I would guess the ash tray was not painted attached to the dash, but separately. If that is so, and it was sprayed 'wetter' than the rest of the dash, the paint would have more of a gold tint since the metallic would 'settle' deeper in the paint.

If the paint is sprayed at a higher pressure, at a further distance from the surface, or 'drier', the metallic will tend to stay closer to the surface, which will give the paint a lighter appearance.

Back then the factory wasn't too concerned whether everything was a perfect match. If it was close, it was good enough! Personally, I would like for everything to match (all the parts that were supposed to be painted the same color) as if it was all painted at the same time. That might not be 100% correct but the appearance will be more pleasing to the eye. (In my opinion.)

One more thing to consider. lol :-D
Dallas

Your first picture has a large piece to the left which I assume is a test spray of some new paint. It has that taupe look to it that I really don't like personally.

I was viewing your photos on my laptop. Now that I'm viewing them on my desktop PC, the test spray in the first photo on the left looks pretty good. I'm not seeing the taupe that I saw on my laptop.

I was viewing your photos on my laptop. Now that I'm viewing them on my desktop PC, the test spray in the first photo on the left looks pretty good. I'm not seeing the taupe that I saw on my laptop.

John!

I'm gonna use the test spray on everything on the interior except for the ash tray. After talking with PPG I will make that a sllghtly different gold color. Then for sure I know it's 100% correct!!

This is getting out of control.......

John!

I'm gonna use the test spray on everything on the interior except for the ash tray. After talking with PPG I will make that a sllghtly different gold color. Then for sure I know it's 100% correct!!

This is getting out of control.......

I don't think you should replicate a unique and random flaw. If all ashtrays were that color, I could see replicating it, but mine was not. Perhaps the ashtray for your car was lost and that one came from a different car?

Ulf,

Have you located a source for the 22464 dark gold suede paint for the top of the dash? I just got off the phone with TCPGlobal. They can mix it in Lacquer, Enamel, or Urethane.

Ulf,

Have you located a source for the 22464 dark gold suede paint for the top of the dash? I just got off the phone with TCPGlobal. They can mix it in Lacquer, Enamel, or Urethane.

John!

What was it from factory? I guess that it was single stage? I will be in contact with PPG on Monday and hope to know it by then. If not, I need some of the paint that you can get over there. The question is how to get it here?

I would guess the ash tray was not painted attached to the dash, but separately. If that is so, and it was sprayed 'wetter' than the rest of the dash, the paint would have more of a gold tint since the metallic would 'settle' deeper in the paint.

If the paint is sprayed at a higher pressure, at a further distance from the surface, or 'drier', the metallic will tend to stay closer to the surface, which will give the paint a lighter appearance.

Back then the factory wasn't too concerned whether everything was a perfect match. If it was close, it was good enough! Personally, I would like for everything to match (all the parts that were supposed to be painted the same color) as if it was all painted at the same time. That might not be 100% correct but the appearance will be more pleasing to the eye. (In my opinion.)

One more thing to consider. lol

Dallas! You are so right. It's just to get to know how it was done back in the days?

Ulf,

In what size can they mix it? I'm guessing for the top of a dash a pint would be more than enough. I will eventually need some for a 65 Barracuda dash. More pressing would be the black suede finish I need for my 65GT's dash.

In what size can they mix it? I'm guessing for the top of a dash a pint would be more than enough. I will eventually need some for a 65 Barracuda dash. More pressing would be the black suede finish I need for my 65GT's dash.

Don! For your dash I have a set of very nice black air outlets if you need. I also have the curvy outer ends in black.

Eric sent me his last shipment for stuff with new finish. Boy, did it torned out great. For the brackets holding the side glass in position in the door I need to find a supplier of the rugged material that goes inside.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 325

1 quart minimum.

-
Back