1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
Coool. Cant wait to see it all together and see some video of you taken off fast. Also, it would be cool to see some video of you driven down the road with someone in another car filming. Dont let us rush you, but keep up the work.

Friggin' sweet Dave!!! You`ve been so meticulous at documenting this build with pictures, text, and video. You are definitely an inspiration to us all. This is a major milestone, congratulations!!!

Just watched the video clip, damn, it sounds good! I did notice you need a bigger or faster pump shot. You have a little bit of a bog.

Just watched the video clip, damn, it sounds good! I did notice you need a bigger or faster pump shot. You have a little bit of a bog.

Thanks man. When I shot the video that was on initial start up. I had not done any fine tuning yet. It was all by ear. I got it tuned up yesterday. Got rid of that little bog by adjusting the primaries and secondaries. I set at 18* initial and 34* total in by 3400rpm. It sounds pretty strong. Idle speed for this cam is around 1050-1100 rpm. Long duration of 244.

When I actually get to drive it that's when I'll see if there is any stumble and getting a better tune.

Unfortunately my 90* oil filter adpter plate is leaking. That's going to be a mother ****** to take everything apart again to fix it. Oh well, can't be perfect right from the get go. It's always some little gremlin to chase down on a new build.

When are you shooting? Been cold and icy in your area?

Dave

those things are prone to leak. i took mine off. i run the short filter wix #51068.

those things are prone to leak. i took mine off. i run the short filter wix #51068.

The engine came with a Wix filter but it was on the flat plate. With headers on this car you have to run a 90* oil filter plate. Impossible to run a shorty straight filter. It would hit the header tubes. I'm getting some custom aramid fiber gaskets from FBO. Hoping this will fix the problem with the oil leak. If this doesn't work I'll pull my hair out first then switch to a remote oil filter.:sad:

Is 65-70 too high for oil pressure? I am assuming there is a high flow/high pressure oil pump in this thing. It was built with street/strip in mind. I should call the engine builder. They were out of Michigan and from the sounds of it, it's a strong motor.

65-70 is beautiful. my motor has about 5000k+ miles on it and my oil pressure cold is about 75 when warming it up at 1500rpm. hot and idling in park is about 55-60,at idle after driving on freeway at 3400rpm is 40. a new engine should have good pressure. the high volume pumps definitely helps. it will drop some over time but should remain strong.

DAVE the oil pressure also depends on the rpm of the engine..temp of engine and the weight of the oil,,,the heavier the oil the higher the pressure,,,,
dave ever consider a blue top ?? ever seen the blue prowler?? has a blue soft top,,i think its kick *** and looks custom,,,

Thanks man. When I shot the video that was on initial start up. I had not done any fine tuning yet. It was all by ear. I got it tuned up yesterday. Got rid of that little bog by adjusting the primaries and secondaries. I set at 18* initial and 34* total in by 3400rpm. It sounds pretty strong. Idle speed for this cam is around 1050-1100 rpm. Long duration of 244.

When I actually get to drive it that's when I'll see if there is any stumble and getting a better tune.

Unfortunately my 90* oil filter adpter plate is leaking. That's going to be a mother ****** to take everything apart again to fix it. Oh well, can't be perfect right from the get go. It's always some little gremlin to chase down on a new build.

When are you shooting? Been cold and icy in your area?

Dave

As soon as I get the door fixed and another coat of high-build primer shot on a few low spots, I am going to shoot the epoxy sealer, when that has dried a few days, I will start shooting the undersides of the hood, trunk, and then the jambs.

If the weather is warm enough, I found an unheated spray booth for rent, if its cool, then I will try it in my garage (its heated). My guess, not until after the 1st for paint.

You might try Layson's Restorations for glass. Check out all there stuff on www.laysons.com. They also have an amazing catalog of everything you'd ever need for a mopar.

thanks for the input, lmm, but, just so you know, laysons is not on alot of people's good side. check into the threads on here, moparts, mopowerstyle, bigblockdart. if you do decide to use laysons for your car, go thru rick, NO ONE ELSE. he is a member here. talk to fastback340 about him.

DAVE the oil pressure also depends on the rpm of the engine..temp of engine and the weight of the oil,,,the heavier the oil the higher the pressure,,,,
dave ever consider a blue top ?? ever seen the blue prowler?? has a blue soft top,,i think its kick *** and looks custom,,,

I agree the prowler type material is awesome. I have thought about getting a canvas/seude type convertible top in dark blue, but....man it is really expensive to have it custom made. $2000. I need to look into some other shops other than the ones that are local to me. LA is sure to have something.

Yeah the oil pressure will fine on this engine.
Thanks for the input

Still no bezel. maybe it came today. :bom:

DAVE,, 2000 for a blue top,,yikes,,, dave if you lost eh tracking number i still have it,, e mail me direct if you have not recieved the bezel or lost the tracking number,, what about a white top dyed blue ???

Sorry nothing new to add lately. the holidays have been busy and I've been working alot. I have a couple issues I've been working on but thinkI've got those ironed out for the most part. I'll be picking up my custom widened wheels today and will be mounting the Hoosier Pro Street (10.5 x 26 x 15) tires on tomorrow. I can't wait to see them on the car.

I've got the steering column rebuilt but I need to fix the hydraulic clutch slave issue I'm having first. Already got some tips on how to fix that. Other than that I should be ready for a test ride around the block soon. Meanwhile, I'm still ironing out the other body parts before shooting the whole car all together. Plus, I decided to put in a removable roll bar. Lots to keep me busy but I'll be on the road in 2008.

Dave

Pics of new meats tomorrow

ohhhh fresh meats! gotta love those. i have a set of 255/60-15's waiting for my 8 in cop wheels to be painted. those hoosiers will look good.

Got the meats on today

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0a0db4b5200000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0de524be400000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0afd60bc000000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0be71cac700000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0b5808aab00000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

Axle was moved back 3/4"

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0c6144bae00000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

Got the front sway bar installed. It's the ADDCO piece that I'm not all that impressed with but hope it serves it's purpose well.

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0d63fcabd00000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0dc94ca1300000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

That's it for until next year. Happy New Year from Dave's garage

dave, looks great! how much backspace did you put on the rear wheels? how did you move the rear just 3/4"? a cut and buff still needed? i personally don't like the mounting of the front bars by addco, that 90* l bracket and 1 bolt for a frame mount just doesn't sit well with me, but after you drive it for a awhile, you may invest in a firmfeel.

happy new year, a safe one, and congrats to getting this far in just a short time after you got it back from paint.

-
Back