1967 Cuda FB project

-
Next mod is to get decklid on car and build a small spoiler.
Or should I just put a giant wing on it? Like the superbird?:glasses7: lol

:wack:

OK, I know you're kidding about the 'Bird wing. I have never seen anyone ever able to pull it off on any vehicle and make it look like anything other than an abortion. That having been said, I don't think it'd be impossible to come up with some fresh design.

You may recall that I'd once said I had a desire to install a whale tail on the back of a Camaro I once owned. I've never seen one on a Barracuda but it might be interesting. - And hey, in a twisted way it would fit into the whole fish theme of these cars.

View attachment AF12_r523_01.jpg

View attachment AF12_r523_04.jpg

It might be a horrible idea but I wouldn't rule it out too quick. The whale tails weren't very common even back in the day. Most people wouldn't recognize them nowadays. I like the idea of thinking 'out of the box', adding 'old school' touches, and trying things that aren't cookie cutter copies of every other vehicle out there.
Who knows? They might look really cool on a fastback 'Cuda. The Camaro did have a swooping roof line too.

:wack:

OK, I know you're kidding about the 'Bird wing. I have never seen anyone ever able to pull it off on any vehicle and make it look like anything other than an abortion. That having been said, I don't think it'd be impossible to come up with some fresh design.

You may recall that I'd once said I had a desire to install a whale tail on the back of a Camaro I once owned. I've never seen one on a Barracuda but it might be interesting. - And hey, in a twisted way it would fit into the whole fish theme of these cars.

View attachment 1714800965

View attachment 1714800966

It might be a horrible idea but I wouldn't rule it out too quick. The whale tails weren't very common even back in the day. Most people wouldn't recognize them nowadays. I like the idea of thinking 'out of the box', adding 'old school' touches, and trying things that aren't cookie cutter copies of every other vehicle out there.
Who knows? They might look really cool on a fastback 'Cuda. The Camaro did have a swooping roof line too.

always thot the whale tails on porshes (warmed over volkwagens) , looked stupid---jmo

Man, and I was all set to start building a super wing...........................:glasses7:

I think a small ducktail will be just right.:cheers:

WOW! havent seen that car in years. Thats the old Linginfelter Red Camaro. Think I spelt that wrong. LOL! Was ahead of its time when it was done.

Decided to add a K&N filter into the fresh air system. Going to use the pass wheel well for the location. Had to make a box for routing because the cowl is not directly connected to the wheel well. Figured I would use a small section in the engine compartment for routing inlet. When it is all smoothed over, it will blend in a little better, I hope.
View attachment WP_20150317_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20150317_002.jpg
Here is the section I cut out. You can see drain holes, etc. in the side by the hood hinge. So, it wasn't totally sealed for no air. But those little holes were probably not going to allow a lot of air. My filter probably isn't going to be big enough but it's better than nothing.
View attachment WP_20150317_003.jpg

So, named the project yet? Keeping it white? Staying in Wisconsin? How about "Vanilla Ice"? or has that been taken? Anyway....I think we have a new term. We're all familiar with '****', then there's 'car ****', I think we should introduce the termn 'work ****' cuz this truly is that! Not that I'm all into crazy body customs on vintage fish but some of the ideas here and the process of implementation...out of this world! But most impressive is the rate of march. Dude's gettin ish DONE! I'd have to quit my job (and quit moving around) to get anywhere close to that level of progress. Can't wait to see the dash completed and the front end design.

Oh, and my dog mopes too when I'm gone all day. Or so the wife says. People who like dogs; score +1. People who are liked by dogs; +2.

Quit reading...go to work.

If this car was a "special/rare" car like yours, I would not have done what I am doing. But, alas, it's just a run of the mill /6 auto car that had the interior almost completely gutted from mice.
I have gotten spoiled with the ride and driving of modern cars and so I chose to upgrade that end of it. The outside mods will just be enough to bring the Cuda into the 21st century without taking everything from the 60's away. I am hoping if Ma Mopar was to build one now, it would resemble what I am shooting for.
Plus, I absolutely love trying to take what I have for parts that I have laying around and make them work for the end use. Plus, my wife gives me the stinkeye every time I try to spend money on my "toys". Sure I could just spend money and bolt a bunch of parts together and get the final product but it wouldn't be as satisfying. Yes, I have my time into it, but everybody has a hobby. All hobbies cost money. My hobby mostly costs me man hours.:D

BTW, thanks for the comp!!! And my dog is my little buddy. He goes where I go. (most of the time.)

Wouldn't the recirc system be better for removing humidity with the a-c? Less humidity coming in the car and removing more and more each time it recirculates. In defrost, the a-c is on..... just asking................:D I am no hvac guy, that is for sure.
I know there is a reason all cars have fresh air intakes, just wondering if I can get away with my idea because it wouldn't get used much.

At one point cars had to have fresh air intakes due to law I believe. There is always some concern of "poisoning" a trapped volume of air inside a car, either with enough people using up the oxygen (unlikely, but I suppose technically possible) or an exhaust leak into the cabin that doesn't get flushed out with fresh air coming in. Old cars don't typically seal that well to begin with, so it likely not really an issue and a very small risk, but I suppose possible.

At one point cars had to have fresh air intakes due to law I believe. There is always some concern of "poisoning" a trapped volume of air inside a car, either with enough people using up the oxygen (unlikely, but I suppose technically possible) or an exhaust leak into the cabin that doesn't get flushed out with fresh air coming in. Old cars don't typically seal that well to begin with, so it likely not really an issue and a very small risk, but I suppose possible.

snakebit: I did,the last time I smoked one one on the 4 lane in my old vega, he wanted to go to the twistys (as he put it), he turned off before I did! lol:coffee2:

Well, I didn't feel like giving Wilwood a butload of money for aluminum hubs. So I found some hubs from the Challenger project and took some measurements to see if I could make them work. They have the same size inner bearing but the outer one was bigger on the ID. Used a Mustang II outer bearing. The distance between the bearings was also 1/2" closer on the Modified spindle I bought.
I decided to cut off the rotor part of the Chally spindle and cut the inner bearing surface 1/2" deeper and also remove 1/2" of the back of the spindle.
Walla!!!!!! A couple hours of my "free" time and I have useable hubs. Will order 12" rotors tomorrow and will then be able to make brackets for the Viper brake calipers.:blob:
View attachment WP_20150323_004.jpg
View attachment WP_20150323_017.jpg
View attachment WP_20150323_018.jpg
On the car!!! Soon to have wheels and sitting on the ground!!!:cheers:
View attachment WP_20150323_016.jpg

Cleaned up some more of the inside floor from the sound deadener, etc. Made some spacers for the rear suspension this morning. Didn't take pics of those yet. Should probably ship off the axles so I can put the rear together. Then I could put it down on the wheels.:cheers:

incredible build. you are incredibly talented and look forward to watching this one come together

Took the rear end out of car so I could build brackets for the rear calipers. I have some Gen 2 Viper calipers I am going to use. Also headed over to a buddies house to pirate a front rotor/hub off of an old Aspen. Really hate to buy a new hub just to cut the rotor portion off of it. Ordered 3" studs front and rear and a new front sway bar. Should get that stuff Tuesday.

Getting closer to "wheels on the ground"!!!!:cheers:

Started making brackets for the rear calipers today. Want to get a little further along before pics. Maybe some tomorrow. :D

Had some "other " stuff to do today.............. damn, I hate that!:protest:

Sweet build,
First time I clicked on it and it took me two evenings to read everything.
I like you modifications, not over done, just right.
I would suggest one thing to put some trunk extensions back down to the 1/4 panels.
They do keep the pebbles / rocks that the rear tires kick up from beating the 1/4 panels up.
Plus it is a support for the corner of the 1/4 panel.
Keep up the good work.

Sweet build,
First time I clicked on it and it took me two evenings to read everything.
I like you modifications, not over done, just right.
I would suggest one thing to put some trunk extensions back down to the 1/4 panels.
They do keep the pebbles / rocks that the rear tires kick up from beating the 1/4 panels up.
Plus it is a support for the corner of the 1/4 panel.
Keep up the good work.

I thought of that too. On the fence about how to accomplish that. I know it doesn't seem like it but I am trying my damnedest not to add any weight to the car. I am hoping that what I take away will negate the stuff I add. I have decided the interior will be bare minimum. Loosing the back seat, etc. So that will be a plus, er, negative. :) I am going to add a/c so I have to give up something else. LOL I feel that I am going to loose this battle.:violent1:

BTW, thanks for the kudos!!!!!!

-
Back