1968 Dodge Dart GT Sleeping Beauty?

-
Wheel adapters/spacers pushed wheels out about 2”. The tires almost touch the top of the wheel arches. After a call to Moser they will drill my axles to 5 x 4.5 plus plug the holes and drill my brake drums for $300. One day turnaround and ship them back to Virginia. More than fair in my opinion. I hope to pull the axles this week.
IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

10” x 2” shoes and drums. 7 1/4 rear was out of a 72 Duster. 2.76 gear with the 318 a highway cruiser.

Last edited:
I did the treadmill, pulled the axles and still got to work early. I used a chain with a hook in the big hole on the shaft. They didn’t budge so I wrapped the chain around a 5# hammer and got the momentum needed.

Moser got the axles on a Thursday and on Friday they drilled the axles and drums. Welded up any extra holes from the old pattern and pressed the new bearings back on. Shipped them back to Virginia on Monday. Delivered on Wednesday. Less than $300 total including new screw in 3” studs 1/2”. Beautiful packaging to boot.
IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

Last edited:
I am going to install Felpro axle flange gaskets without any sealant. I have read posts including Felpro and they suggest no sealant.

She is a roller again. Torqued the axle fanges to 20# I could not find the values. Plenty of clearance on either side.

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

I am on my way to pick the car up in NY. I have to get some sleep as I am about 2-3 hours outside NYC and I plan on a turn and burn.
Richmond to NY in 2-3 hrs? I thought getting from Chesapeake to NY in 6 hours was doing good. Must have a faster car than a Dart in your garage too.

Richmond to NY in 2-3 hrs? I thought getting from Chesapeake to NY in 6 hours was doing good. Must have a faster car than a Dart in your garage too.
I was outside NYC and still had to drive early AM after sleeping into Long Island. Seems like I loaded 4-5 AM in LI and was home in Richmond by 12-1. Quick trip just not as fast as I may have implied.

Cutting the windshield gasket makes a mess. Makes your hands sore and makes them dirty!!!
IMG_3978.jpeg

No rust anywhere around the windshield frame.
IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

Hard to believe it was a NJ car for all of it’s life as best I can tell.
IMG_3975.jpeg

It will clean up great.

Cranked up the pressure washer after using a wire brush.

IMG_3992.jpeg

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3991.jpeg

It wants a home. Starting to head in the right direction.

Filling trim holes.
Fenders are probably 16 GA door panels are not as thick. Very easy to blow holes as I try to close the holes.
I am going to pull the interior door panels so I can use a copper backing place to weld against.
IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

This car has been a pleasure to work on. I cannot believe it has never been apart. Pulled the door cards to plug some more trim holes.
IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

Nice to have the trim holes filled and ground down. I hit the spots with an acid etch primer. My shop now needs a big clean up with all the grinding I did.

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

I watched the replacement of a roof on a Duster. It was not for the faint of heart. This was the only surface rust. Again for a NJ car pretty darn solid.

IMG_4310.jpeg

I tried multiple techniques. The razor blade worked best. Wire wheel on the rain channels. I have to use a solvent on the next step.
IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

IMG_4305.jpeg

Before work I wanted to see what getting all the glue off would be like.
Thinner and scotch-brite pads.

IMG_4315.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

I used lead on my holes on my hardtop. I chamfered the holes and put foil tape on the back. A lot less heat and less distortion. Been 10 years now with no issues.

162.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

I am going back paint.
Today I did the final wipe down and then an acid etch primer. Then I removed all the rear window clips. Dremel tool was good for cutting slots when the Phillips heads are gone. Window corners were rusted out. All that was repaired when we did the other panels. The plan is coming along.

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4319.jpeg

-
Back