1968 Dodge Dart GT Sleeping Beauty?

-
How do you apply the sealant between the body and the gasket? I'm installing the back glass in the '66 this weekend too, but was planning on doing it the other way - gasket installed on the body, then installing the glass.

Supposedly, you can’t get too, hung up about making it perfect, apparently using a hairdryer - hot air gun will help work the wrinkles out in the final stages. I guess we’ll see.
View attachment 1716285524

View attachment 1716285527
Let the front set up with contact cement (rubberized) for 2 hours then the front windshield.
View attachment 1716285535
Working it rear to front. Next step is side to side.
View attachment 1716285536
No wonder I couldn't find any clamps at the store the other day. You have them all. LOL
Seriously, though, It looks like a good job. You should be proud of yourself. Headliners are something that most people will farm out and not even attempt. I have done a few headliners, and they came out OK. Steam works well for the few stubborn minor wrinkles you might get.

How do you apply the sealant between the body and the gasket? I'm installing the back glass in the '66 this weekend too, but was planning on doing it the other way - gasket installed on the body, then installing the glass.
I am not an expert but I have read and watched as many videos as I could find. Every car is different and so is the way people have made it work.
The general rule for Darts looks like on the rear glass: ((Gasket on the glass and then work the rubber on to the pinch weld.)) The very first step is to use a caulk gun to put sealant in the gasket channel and then put the glass into the same channel. Use the rope method or another technique and pull the gasket (glass is in the gasket) into place from the inside. (Glass and the gasket are laying on the outside of the rear pinch weld.) After the glsss is installed you can peal/lift the rubber on the outside and in my case I have the little pump with a small spout that attaches to add the additional sealant between the rubber and the metal body.
Clear as mud???

New trim clips installed. I had to add three more holes where they had been welded up it or the heads of the trim screws broke off. Several people have talked about installing them after the glass is installed.
IMG_4486.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

The Eagle has landed. It took about 5 minutes or less with the rope method on the rear glass. It took an hour to install the clips which had zero effect on the rubber gasket.
1723936565794.gif

The gasket from them and the clips were perfect. There is not a locking strip on the rear but on the front there is a flap that folds in after the windshield is installed.

Last edited:
Paracord worked great. A little soapy water with the rope and it pulled perfectly even around the bottom corners. I did not use the sealant yet.

IMG_4489.jpeg

Seal on clean glass
IMG_4490.jpeg

Rope installed.
IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4500.jpeg

Sealant squeezed in and then a paint stick to push it in.
IMG_4498.jpeg

Last edited:
Different size SS moulding trim clips.
No clear instructions with any kit that I could find.

I am starting to set up my front windshield and the clips are first.
IMG_4492.jpeg

After looking and searching the internet
I came across this post on the front window clips and why 4 of them are different. Usually they are black and the bulk of the other clips are green or orange.

FJ5

Well-Known Member​

Okay the knowledge I have about this relates to my 1970 dart. I just spoke with Tim at RT specialities last week about this very question. He said there are 4 clips that are different from the others these four clips, 2 on each side, go on the first two holes on the top of the frame next to the A Pillars.

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4496.jpeg

Clips should not interfere with the glass installation. It would be difficult to install afterwards.
IMG_4494.jpeg

Last edited:
Trial fit.
I cannot do anything else until I can spray the vents.
IMG_4495.jpeg

IMG_4499.jpeg

Sealant on the top of the gasket.
IMG_4501.jpeg

Cleaned and ready to go.

Last edited:
Still had sag. I have ordered an after market reproduction hinge. Top right.

Had some dead time so I decided to replace the passenger door hinge pins and bushings. I used the standard Dorman $9.90 kit. Top hinge used 2 new brass bushings and the short pin. No drilling and slight effort to tap in the brass. Bottom hinge tougher to remove the bottom pin. And you have to just trust that you can drive the pin in as the replacement.. that would be the longer pin that is left.
IMG_4516.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

IMG_4519.jpeg

IMG_4520.jpeg

Last edited:
I remove the bolts on the top and bottom hinges. as you can see, I used a fancy system to hold the door in place. I rocked the door past the fender to give me access. After it was over, it was pretty easy to reattach the door with one person.
IMG_4512.jpeg

Dorman 38382 Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Kit - 2 Pins And 4 Bushings Compatible with Select Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth Models​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C5C98Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#

I was going a different direction today and as usual I came across a hidden issue in the trunk. A soft area.

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_4529.jpeg

Wire wheel brush, vacuum, blower, soap and water, vacuum. Trunk is close to being ready for paint.

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4548.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

Taillight areas cleaned up.

Last edited:
I was going to let the body shop drill and space the rear marker light and Dart letters. The marker lights require a 1 3/8” hole. I got a $9.00 step bit off Amazon. It is the best way to drill holes in sheet metal without having the bit wander. That light and the letters follow/center the crease or body line.

I made a template for the letters. It did not transfer perfectly, but it was pretty close.

IMG_4553.jpeg

Top of the tape is the center of the body line.
IMG_4554.jpeg

Notch was needed for an index cast into the marker.
IMG_4555.jpeg

IMG_4556.jpeg

IMG_4557.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

Last edited:
Interior rear painted window trim was a pain. I could not locate the screw holes. Last night I thought the old headliner should give me the position of the trim to the rear window and the location of the holes to the perforated teeth that grab the headliner. Once I found one the trim got me on point.

Also laying on the trunk is the package tray cover. Freight was close or more than the part. I had it in my office for over a year. Glad it was what I expected.

IMG_4563.jpeg

Rear package tray covered in rubber flashing. On top of that is a jute that goes between the tray and the rubber.
IMG_4564.jpeg

Worked on the window movements. Front side windows seemed very simple and just needed to be cleaned and new lithium grease added. Rear side windows are in my opinion very sophisticated. They were hanging up and would almost pop like they were jumping off the tracks. It ended up being the tracks at the top rear needing attention. Pretty smooth but I ran out of grease.

IMG_4568.jpeg

I hate debris stuck in non-accessible spots. I have always used a tube with a vacuum reach those areas.
The tube holds on the funnel and the suction holds the hose in place with little effort.

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

I was distracted by another project this weekend while fooling with the Dart. The pontoon will have to come out of the Lake October or early November and come home. The old bunks had deteriorated and the carpet was old. After I am gone the next time will be the kids problem.

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4559.jpeg

IMG_4562.jpeg

That's an impressive nest. Thought I'd share how I got rid of mine. First was physical removal of all I could reach, using gloves, mask, glasses, and long sleeves. Then I vacuumed what I could get at. Then one side at a time I made a cardboard template to fit the air door with a hole in that for the shop vac. Leaving the other air door closed I used cardboard to close off the cowl area except for a small hole at each end for a long nosed blower nozzle from the compressor. Turn on the shop vac and blow in the cowl with the nozzle. That got out a lot of unseen junk. Lather, rinse, and repeat for the other side. Last was once the car was road worthy but before finishing the interior was to take it out on the freeway with all windows open and glasses/mask on, then open the vent doors one at a time. There was still junk in there that only high speed airflow would get out. Cleaned up the interior and gave evertlything a dousing with Lyson and called it a day.

I really, really don't like mice.

Watching the paint travel via USPS from California to Virginia was painful. Over a week for delivery. With the freight they charged it should have been sent by UPS. The paint was exactly the same as the original interior parts.

IMG_4575.jpeg

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_4577.jpeg

Who ever said the front is easier than the rear glass, that was not my experience. As my son said, we could have done 10 rears in the same time. We started late on Monday evening. He was on call for the railroad and had to leave. I had him for 1 1/2 hours and then I carried on. Lighting was poor and I didn’t realize the top gasket had dislodged. I wasted several hours after I realized what I had done. Today the temperature was 90 and I could actually see what I was doing. The sun is your friend. Being able to see is just as important. Spray soap is also right up there to make it all work.
IMG_4579.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4580.jpeg

-
Back