1968 Dodge Dart GT Sleeping Beauty?

-
a tip for when you mask small bits/cables/pipe fittings etc is to use tin/baking foil from the kitchen. it can be wrapped tightly around things and stays put, but the best bit is it's easy to remove afterwards. it's a pain unwrapping miles of masking tape sometimes, lol.
neil.

This was after soaking for an hour. I hated looking at it sitting there. This is believe it or not much improved.
IMG_4707.jpeg

IMG_4708.jpeg

Dart is relocated to the Body Shop. Right now the estimate for body and paint is $3500-$4000. I was initially just going to do the engine compartment and trunk. Also the drivers side dents until I ran out of money. Current plan is to do that as well as any other areas that need attention. Spray with a high build primer and let me block and see what we may discover. I already have approximately $2K in metal work and $800 in metal parts including a full rear quarter. I guess my painted car will be around $7-7500. I think that is a fair price if it all works out.
I just realized I posted about it being at the shop. I didn’t give the pricing. Other threads are searching for painters. Prices certainly vary.

Last edited:
I have been eyeing the seat belts.
IMG_4706.jpeg
They were very dirty.
I put them in a sweat shirt, inside a pillow cover in the washing machine. They came out much better but not perfect.
IMG_4742.jpeg

Rear outers
IMG_4741.jpeg

Need to clean the buckles and other hardware.

Last edited:
Once it got in the shop, they got right on it. The driver’s side worried me the most. At one point I was ready to add that quarter. I was told that was not the way to go. They felt the dents could be pulled and in the end it worked as they knew it should.

IMG_3555.jpeg

IMG_3556.jpeg

IMG_3558.jpeg

IMG_3557.jpeg

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

Quarter was solid. With the skim coat it looked like a lot of Bondo.

IMG_4667.jpeg

IMG_2106.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

IMG_2109.jpeg

IMG_2112.jpeg

Last edited:
I have this 3/4 high density foam rubber I bought for a bench seat. My young upholstery guy said it is working out just fine. Multiple layers of foam and fabric to repair the seat bottoms.
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_1.jpeg

imagejpeg_2.jpeg

They should be done next week.

Finally located the fender inter liners. Power wash, wire brush and Rust-Oleum paintable undercoating on both sides.

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

IMG_4784.jpeg

I will repair the original rubber seals.

Back home.
IMG_4785.jpeg

They sprayed the radiator surround and K member, control arms and dust shields flat black. My painter does things you don’t even ask.

I was finally able to look over the car. The troubled passenger door was adjusted by the shop. The new top hinge did the job. I was not having any luck getting it to fit. The body line at the top of the door now matches the quarter.

IMG_4786.jpeg

Last edited:
Attached bottom of both front fenders.

IMG_4787.jpeg

Let the blocking begin. Over a gallon of high build primer. 320 grit. I need to do some research on how much to sand. The dart doors and fender have up to 5? flat planes to use to block. I am taking it down and when I see a dip or rise I stop in that area and mark it with a pencil.
IMG_4788.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure how to attach a video?
I block the center sections to sharpen my lines. Then do a section complete.
I am beat 8 hours of blocking with a 45 minute break.

Roof, pillars and the tops of the doors and fenders. Then I will be done.

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4793.jpeg

IMG_4794.jpeg

I rolled it under the carport and turned on a fan to blow the dust away.

IMG_4797.jpeg

Last edited:
From Pat in NC.
Getting done on Clayton ST in Kinston NC.

I was 15. HFC III was 21’ish. Brick was 47’ish.

My brother sent this out today.
91 year old dad still loves cars and drives. My brother is my partner in crime just in another state.

IMG_1587.jpeg

45 years later and I am about worn out.
IMG_1883.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back