1970 Duster project in Sweden

-
Wow, a 4500 converter on the street, was it off the shelf or built for you? Is a lock up or non lock up ?
It was an off the shelf that I bought second from a friend for almost nothing. I just had to try it. Non lock up.

I test fitted the intake with gaskets and the valve covers. They cleared the intake no problem. So I JB welded the gasket mating surfaces on the covers. When it's cured I will sand it straight and smooth. Next step is to install lifters, pushrods and the rockers.

20034142-C9CD-4574-BBD3-08D952E30386_1_105_c.jpeg

Because of work progress has slowed down a bit. But today I installed the engine mounts from Schumacher and cleaned and some parts.

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

Some more progress. Will install the intake next. It's really heavy to rotate the engine now with a normal ratchet.

IMG_3404.jpeg

It's been a while since I posted. But much has been done in this time. The engine is in the car and the break in process done.

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

It's mostly together now. I so badly want to drive it, but there is just too much ice and snow on the roads here still. Also, me and everybody else that I share this shop with, 29 cars, have to move out before the end of March. We have a new place that is going to need a lot of work, but has great potential. Looking forward to the spring!
IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3760.jpeg

WOW! Looking reaaaallllly good there buddy.
It was a while between posts there for a bit but I’m glad to see that progress hasn’t stopped.

You were sharing a shop with 29 other guys? Man! That’s a party!

Thanks guys! Yeah, this old shop is huge. We each have our own place for the car, it's been awesome.

Whoa! That’s a bit of snow there that will make driving a little hard.

First wash in a very long time. I also took it for a first drive around the block today. Man, that felt good after all this time. To be honest it has been nerve-racking every time I have started it up with the 360, just because I put it together myself, something I have never done before. But it sounds really happy and very responsive. I took it very, very slow today. I had never driven it with the new Wilwood front disc brakes. First impressions, engine felt great. Brakes not as great. The pedal is firm, but I feels like I have no power brakes. I used the stock master cylinder, and I don't have a proportion valve. I suspect I need to get another master cylinder and a proportioning valve. Any ideas? I want this car safe and running so bad now :)

Or could it be that the XE268H - Xtreme Energy cam produce to little vacuum? If the weather is ok tomorrow I will do some driving around the block and try the brakes. Also gonna measure the vaccum.

Some photos!
IMG_3815.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg

Today we moved the Duster to the new garage. Looking forward to getting it road ready!

IMG_3828.jpeg

That is a really unique car hauler.

Those Valiants in Sweden back in the day must have been a step above the SAAB 2 stroke 4 cylinder buzz bombs of that same era.

Those Valiants in Sweden back in the day must have been a step above the SAAB 2 stroke 4 cylinder buzz bombs of that same era.
My mother actually had a SAAB 2 stroke for a short while. I remember riding in it, quite a special car. My father had a lot of Volvo models. The P1800 was the coolest to me as a kid.

My mother actually had a SAAB 2 stroke for a short while. I remember riding in it, quite a special car. My father had a lot of Volvo models. The P1800 was the coolest to me as a kid.
I like the P1800 it's really a well thought out design. The SAAB sonett lll is pretty cool too. Not sure about the little 2 stroke ones though.

Just about finished moving and emptying my old shop. End of an era. Looking forward to getting everything set up at the new place. The Triumph that you have seen in many of my pictures is coming along too, and my friend who owns it and has a Polara.

IMG_3848.jpeg

-
Back