1972 Dodge Colt

-
I could do that, we will see how much cash I have. Still waiting to find some Hemi heads and a 396 or 366 de-stroked short block!

All I have is files and drill bits. Might be hard for me. Always toyed with the idea of V8 heads cut and welded. Now that aluminum heads are out there, if I could weld, that might be the way to go. Lets see what I can do with the stroked low deck motor first, might not need 300 cfm.

Always toyed with the idea of V8 heads cut and welded

like the Ford 300's with the Cleveland head? Which side would you put the intake on? Oops! guess that's a given where the pushrods run thru the head and where the cam is in the block.

Since the pushrods on an LA are on the intake ports, I would intake on the passenger side and exhaust on the drivers side.

Been working for a few days on this engine install. I have NO idea how they stuffed a 426 in here, It is kicking my butt to get this slant sitting right. I have been cutting staps, moving it up, down, over back etc, etc, etc. I think I have a plan after making a template today and I can see a path forward now. Going to have to trim the bellhousing, cut a part of the mid plate tube and remove the existing mid plate steel flange. Then move the steel plate back and fabricate the front mount. Here is what the template looks like. On yea, I think I have the oil pan in the right spot now.
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

Didn't like where it was sitting, looked too low for me. So I put the tires back on so I can see ground clearance. First picture is a Mopar lover dream!
IMG_0321.JPG

Then took the front end off for the first time, man is it easy to work on stuff!
IMG_0322.JPG

Stan, I need to get up there & see this thing in person. So far, I've followed every post & the anticipation is killing me.

Got it cleaned up today, still need to remove another inch of tube, but everything went together well. The block plate lays on the frame rails, I will add 3 tabs to locate it and box the tube on the back side. The engine sits level, good clearance for the dampner. I was pretty happy how it looks now. So this is mock up number 3.
IMG_0001.JPG

The cross bar is well back, it's not close. It's gong to be easy to work on.
I realized 100 psychological horsepower when I bought them! (Rockers!)

Last edited:
I could do that, we will see how much cash I have. Still waiting to find some Hemi heads and a 396 or 366 de-stroked short block!

I guess u know , that the destroked hemis were a failure /h.p. to weight ratio .
Last effort by the mopar boys to run prostock, after nhra legislated the hemis out by adding weight to them , so jenkins could out run them !

I don't completely agree. They had to get the weight down. The smaller Hemis did run some great times, held the record for a short time, but it was the end of that era. The wedges could get more compression with a smaller dome piston (lighter weight), which gave them the rpm edge. The Corporation was hurting, factory support was gone, and the nhra really wanted the chevies to win anyway. Bob Glidden kept winning with his fords, which had to piss the nhra off to no end. Bob did win in 79 with the Arrow, small block. But the class was changing and Mopar just wasn't the main player anymore. Randy Humprey ran 8.46-159.01 at Fremont WWCS in 4/79 to set a new national ET record.
upload_2020-5-2_9-13-28.png

Anyway I want a Hemi just to have the history to go with this car. If I find a small one, it's icing on the cake!

This is Charley Malyuke. I think this car had the 4 banger in it yet.

image0-2.jpg

Charley Malyuke, I wonder if he is or is related to the Matyuke who was running pro stock in the early 80's.
Anyway, since we digress, How about this one!
OrangeWheelie.jpg

All of the short wheelbase car were squirrelly & very unpredictable because of the short wheelbase. Suspension technology has come a long way since then, to to mention track prep & horsepower to weight ratios. I still like watching the short wheel base cars, back when I was MUCH younger the brother of one of my friends let me make an 1/8 mile pass in his Anglia. From there, I was hooked on cars with a short wheelbase.

Last edited:
Charley Malyuke, I wonder if he is or is related to the Matyuke who was running pro stock in the early 80's.
Anyway, since we digress, How about this one!
View attachment 1715520656
That would be Charley. He worked for Gary Ostrich. They and Roger (Radar) Luchtenberg figured with some ingenuity they could put a Hemi head on a modded 383 block and make a small cube Pro Stock powerplant or so I understand.

image0-3.jpg

-
Back