1972 Dodge Colt

-
looking forward to the how-to-make-a-header pictorial.
If you are looking for a SS header design, you are at the wrong place. Current plan is a set of Clifford shorties, cut and massaged to clear the frame rails and dump out in a good location. Length to be determined. Gas welded then ceramic coated.
IMG_0025.JPG

Thanks! Rusty, you can be envious, but don't be jealous. Jealous means you want mine, I just want you to have your own!

I have one I totally rebuilt for a small block.

Worked on the trans mount, got the old one to fit, but I need to build a new one.
Got new front lower ball joint rubber seals.
Working on the counter-sunk steering arm fasteners.
Missed an ebay sale on Cragar Super-Trick spindle mount wheels for the front.
They got too pricey for my budget.
I have other stuff to spend my cash on, but I want to get rid of the drag lite wheels some time.
I have a set of headers coming from VA to see about fit, 1 3/4 tube!
Working on the engine fore/aft support straps.
So there are only a million loose ends to work on, if I fix 10 a day, I should be done …..

I wouldn't be true to my Slant Six roots if I didn't chuck a few intakes on the mock up motor.
Custom 4 barrel intake.
IMG_0071.JPG

And a Hyper Pak, now that would be a challenge. Hood won't close.
IMG_0074.JPG

I won't run the Hyper Pak, the one in the picture is NOS and has never had a bolt run through it. I would have to enlarge the throttle bores and drill the flange for the Holley pattern. And I don't plan on a scoop, I think it's going to be stealthy with a flat hood. I might start with the single four just to get it sorted.

Thank you all for your comments and ideas, still a long way to go.

I won't run the Hyper Pak, the one in the picture is NOS and has never had a bolt run through it. I would have to enlarge the throttle bores and drill the flange for the Holley pattern. And I don't plan on a scoop, I think it's going to be stealthy with a flat hood. I might start with the single four just to get it sorted.

Thank you all for your comments and ideas, still a long way to go.

Stealthy? you have backed up and looked at it........right? LOL :thumbsup:

Got a set of headers from slant6racer, these were on his Barracuda. They will fit my chassis with a couple of modifications. Problem is they don't fit the Weber (Clifford) intake very well. The Clifford fit the shorty headers so I will have to do some thinking on the best fix from here on.
Wills Headers.jpeg

Knowing you Stan, that isn't a problem for you. You will find a way to make those headers work & they'll look excellent when you get it done.

Thanks Bill.
Started cutting pipes today, it was worse than I thought at first.
But I will get there.
Going to have to remove 2 pipes from the head flanges.
After I clear the intake fitment, I will add them back, in the right places.
Here are the first cuts.
IMG_0080.JPG

Thanks Bill.
Started cutting pipes today, it was worse than I thought at first.
But I will get there.
Going to have to remove 2 pipes from the head flanges.
After I clear the intake fitment, I will add them back, in the right places.
Here are the first cuts.
View attachment 1715538750
The Colts were cool drag cars and watching the build of this one is great!

Thanks "BVoelzke", I was a young teenager the first time I saw a drag colt in 1972. Made a lasting impression on me for sure. Some 50 years later I have one and can't wait to go down the strip with it. That will be emotional for sure. Here are some Instagram images that slant6racer has sent me, images from the past. The Ronnie Lyle Colt is a sister to mine.
Ronald Hardy Car.jpeg
Tom Kocanda First Out.jpeg

There were two brothers that lived a town over from me here in North Jersey that had one with a RB motor or Hemi don't remember , that was like 30 years ago, don't know what ever became of it

This one ran at Suffolk Raceway years ago, I was pretty impressed.
Thomas Russell, at one time it was named Sudden Impact, after the Clint Eastwood movie.

Thomas_Russell s.JPG

Busted *** today working on the headers. The Clifford intake is so short that the runners take a big bend going from the Weber carb to the head flange. These big bends and the size of the runners makes header design very critical between runners. The crazy thing is Clifford shorty headers don't even fit this intake. I am going to drag out an old paper Clifford catalog tonight and see if they list a header for the intake. It would not matter for the Colt to clear the frame rails, but at least they might fit the intake. At any rate I have decided to make the Clifford intake work so I will just deal with it. Here is what I got done today. Front header, 2 tubes are good to go and #2 will have to be worked in there. On the rear 2 tubes are working, #5 has to be installed and the Collector has to be done.
IMG_0084.JPG

Had to order pipe from Speedway. Different bends and radius. I also ordered a couple of Heim Joints for the Clifford throttle shaft.

But really, I had to stop and do a series of Honey Doos!
65 year old grown man and I still don't control my life!
But hey, it's sweet when I get back out there.
I have been working on the fiberglass front end.
I'll post some pictures after I get it fixed.

I met Mark Panos this weekend.
He had a Hemi Colt that he raced in the 70's.
His Colt was purchased from the Rod Shop.
It was worked on by Don Carlton before he was killed.
It was a Don Hardy Colt built in 1975.
So cool talking with living history!
Marks Colt:
Mark Panos BW 2.jpg

Oh yea, I had one more huge thing happen and I will share that after it's a done deal.

Had to order pipe from Speedway. Different bends and radius. I also ordered a couple of Heim Joints for the Clifford throttle shaft.

But really, I had to stop and do a series of Honey Doos!
65 year old grown man and I still don't control my life!
But hey, it's sweet when I get back out there.
I have been working on the fiberglass front end.
I'll post some pictures after I get it fixed.

I met Mark Panos this weekend.
He had a Hemi Colt that he raced in the 70's.
His Colt was purchased from the Rod Shop.
It was worked on by Don Carlton before he was killed.
It was a Don Hardy Colt built in 1975.
So cool talking with living history!
Marks Colt:
View attachment 1715542871

Oh yea, I had one more huge thing happen and I will share that after it's a done deal.

I remember that Panos car . I had a Don Hardy vega , wish I still had it !!

Folks, we are lucky to have Mark chime in here!
Thanks Mark for your pictures and sharing them with us.
My slant is a long way from a Hemi, but hey it has spark plug tubes!
Mark Panos 72ColtDragCar4.jpg

Latest progress.
Front end fixing.
Clearance for the headlight wiring, they had cut the back out of the stock lamps.
Fixed location on one headlight bucket (it was down and to the left).
Black paint on what would be radiator support in a normal car.
New bumper mounts, they came in around 5 OZ each, the other ones were junk.
Reinforced fiberglass mounts to lower valance.
A couple of rivets replaced.
And grill mount reinforced to lower valance and radiator support at the top.

And off topic, I sold my Lancer Station Wagon last week. Sorry to see it go, but needed the room and the cash for the Colt. I have been kind of a daze for a week or so, no good with big changes in my life, but getting better. I had that old girl for 10 years, I was kinda attached to her.

IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back