1972 Dodge Colt

-
The 1.9 60' probably had an rpm flare before the clutch hit, which would give you some of the benefits of a higher rpm launch at the cost of a little reaction time.

A /6 crank is likely quite a bit heavier than a typical V8 crank, which means it will absorb quite a bit more piston output as it gains rpm vs a V8 crank. The higher the launch rpm, the less inertia advantage a V8 crank will have over the /6 crank.

Grant

I know you probably won't like this recommendation, but here it is anyway. lol You might kill two birds with one stone. I would try a 2 into 1 pipe at the ends of each 3 into 1 maybe back like 36-40". That picks up torque like a big dog, plus you would have a more accurate place for the O2 sensor. I can tell you from first hand experience very recently on Vixen. When I put the wye pipe on, it was a total night and day difference from open headers.

That O2 is basically reading (1)cyl. + whatever reversion puts into that part of the merge, the lack of collector extensions are hurting Your launch at that low an RPM, I know it's a tricky dance in there..
Yes I agree.
I don't want to hurt the top end.
It's going to be difficult to change the collectors, but more torque down low will help.

I know you probably won't like this recommendation, but here it is anyway. lol You might kill two birds with one stone. I would try a 2 into 1 pipe at the ends of each 3 into 1 maybe back like 36-40". That picks up torque like a big dog, plus you would have a more accurate place for the O2 sensor. I can tell you from first hand experience very recently on Vixen. When I put the wye pipe on, it was a total night and day difference from open headers.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Like I said in another post that will be difficult to fit to the chassis, but not impossible.
Maybe a winter project.

The 1.9 60' probably had an rpm flare before the clutch hit, which would give you some of the benefits of a higher rpm launch at the cost of a little reaction time.

A /6 crank is likely quite a bit heavier than a typical V8 crank, which means it will absorb quite a bit more piston output as it gains rpm vs a V8 crank. The higher the launch rpm, the less inertia advantage a V8 crank will have over the /6 crank.

Grant
Grant
I weighed a 340 crank here, 58 lbs., the crank in my engine now is 75 lbs.
Need to tune the tamer better with the clutch stop.

I know that car, well kinda.
He missed as many gears as me.

Now how much torque is he loosing with his exhaust system???
Had had zero traction anyway.... that car does look like a death trap.. i am betting they will make it much worse

I know that car, well kinda.
He missed as many gears as me.

Now how much torque is he loosing with his exhaust system???
Maybe a lot. Who knows? Also, I'm sure the weight difference from his car to yours hasn't a thing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Gary Platz creation.
Resized_20240819_113351_1724085247854.jpeg

Working on my shop walls in the sauna.
Sometimes this is a 5 minute problem, sometimes hours!
You know the drill.
Resized_20240819_132856_1724092142805.jpeg

Still working on my shop.
I use my Fathers Skil Saw.
This was the label on the saw.
Made in the USA.
For service see "Tools Electric" on the Yellow Pages.

How far we have fallen.
Resized_20240820_164501_1724190436744.jpeg

One of my buddy's just picked up one of Bob Mayerle's Rod Shop Colts. He's tearing it down over Labor Day weekend and we're inspecting the frame for integrity and marking which bars will need to be moved around.

Much more to come, but just wanted to share this with you guys. Pretty awesome piece of history. Very cool to work on.

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

Still working on my shop.
I use my Fathers Skil Saw.
This was the label on the saw.
Made in the USA.
For service see "Tools Electric" on the Yellow Pages.

How far we have fallen.
View attachment 1716292345
Yeah because back then you could have chosen from probably a hundred or more electric motor repair places. Now, there are none.

we have one by us, Dryseckler Motors I think in Glen Ellyn. Dad had grandma's vacuum cleaner motor rebuilt there. MANY years ago.
You're fortunate. Most things now, you just go buy another one. Nobody wants to repair anything anymore. Not even cars. That's why I love this hobby so much. Most of it is made up of guys fixin up old stuff. Only a small percentage of "pocketbook builders".

Yea, my wife says the same thing, 3 months.
Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!
I dumped a few messages, thanks for the heads up.

-
Back