1974 Plymouth Valiant Scamp - Restoration is a strong word

-
My trip back to the third party MVD was pointless. They said they could not make any changes unless the car had current registration, which isn't possible until I pass the inspection, which they wouldn't do because the VIN on the title doesn't match the car. So, yeah. Fun. I'm going to a state MVD office again today to see if someone with a brain can help me sort out what is obviously a typo.

I got barrel clips in for the emblems...

tempImage9Yz2es.png

tempImagemod8t2.png

And I found a small puddle of trans fluid under the car after the most recent drive. I cleaned things up so I could figure out where it was coming from. Then I added a little trans fluid and found a new puddle...

tempImageqipB3Q.png

It looks like the shift selector shaft seal is garbage. New seal incoming. Oh, and another seal for the PS input shaft. I thought I had straightened it out good enough, but it's leaking already.

So, about the trans fluid leaks, I knew the selector shaft seal was bad, but I also discovered leaking at the tail shaft, so I pulled that seal and ordered a new one.

tempImageMW1Mn5.png

tempImageO5JPOx.png

Then I attacked the shift selector seal. When I realized how tight it was under the car, I decided to pull the crossmember and lower the transmission a bit. That's when I remembered that in the box of parts that came with the car was a transmission mount.

tempImageADkLTx.png

I bought the tool that is supposed to make removing the shaft seal easy, but it didn't. I finally decided to cut my loses and drop the pan again, and remove the valve body. I had the seal out 2 minutes later.

tempImagesjYFBm.png

tempImagemyHU1g.png

Now waiting on more parts and more time to put them in.

-
Back