2:45 8.25 help info

-

Notanova73

Reaction score
I know there is alote of info about this but most of it is misleading with too many opinions.so I’m asking for my self.I want to know exactly what parts are needed to go from 2:45 to at least 3:55.I know the carrier is different that’s the main part. And that it uses certain bearings for the carrier.now I’m curious about the sure grip you need to use with 27 spline . If you need a certain carrier then how would one of these suregrips from let’s say a Jeep Cherokee pre 96 work? I can build engines and do alote of work but rearends and transmissions I’m not up on.if someone can give me a list of certain parts to buy to make this work it would help me to sleep at night. This is my last attempt before I put a ford 8.8 on my duster.

As you said. You need a SG carrier that is for the 3.55 gear. I usually find them in pre 96 Dakotas which are 27 spline. 97 and newer are 29.

I just went through it again it seems like all I need to do is basically make sure I use the correct bearings

Yeah so basically I can go to a pre 96 with 27 spline and as long as I use the right bearings right?

As you said. You need a SG carrier that is for the 3.55 gear. I usually find them in pre 96 Dakotas which are 27 spline. 97 and newer are 29.
Doesn’t the suregrip replace the carrier? That’s what the gears bolt to

Like I said I’m totally confused on this subject I actually gave up and was going to install a ford rear.I will be slowly building a Dana 60 for later.so look for a pre 96 dakota or other mopar with 8.25 or Jeep xj they are 27 spline.my cars axle works fine I don’t want to take it apart until I’m 100% sure I know what needs to be done

IF you HAVE the Chrysler 8.25, don't use the Ford unit. You have almost everything you need now. You just need a 27 spline sure grip carrier, the appropriate bearings and "whatever" ring and pinion you're looking for. Of course, you will need a carrier that it NOT for a 2.45 gear. lol

IF you HAVE the Chrysler 8.25, don't use the Ford unit. You have almost everything you need now. You just need a 27 spline sure grip carrier, the appropriate bearings and "whatever" ring and pinion you're looking for. Of course, you will need a carrier that it NOT for a 2.45 gear. lol
thats what sure grip for there isn’t really a carrier mainly making sure it’s 27 spline and user no the correct bearings for housing

I understand I would need a diff carrier if I wanted to keep it 1 wheel peel lol

I need to stay off google way to many opinions which originally made me want to ditch it. Like I seen there is a certain suregrip for a 2:45 so it through me off

Hey can you tell me why they have 245 suregrip and why would the other work then ? Last question just curious
Is it a sm
Look at the pictures on post 369.
The 8 1/4 thread
i just won’t ask lol was just curious I have to many questions . I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff once m to poor to buy the wrong parts lol.I will head to junkyard and hopefully find a pre 96 sure grip 8.25 from any mopar product aslong as it’s 27 spline. The reason I sound confused is because of misleading info everywhere.may go 3:91 while I’m at it if it’s possible don’t see why not. Thanks for the help this has been driving me insane people want to much for 8 3/4 stuff

-
Back