2:45 8.25 help info

-
The confusion comes from yeah I know diff carriers then why does a 90’s suregrip with 3:55 work is my confusion

That’s what I’m saying but all after that people make it sound harder then it is

The ring gear mounting FLANGE on the carrier is in a different place for the 2.45 gear. That's why you must get the carrier for the higher numerical gears. They move the flange to keep proper ring and pinion gear contact. They are NOT interchangeable because of that.

The confusion comes from yeah I know diff carriers then why does a 90’s suregrip with 3:55 work is my confusion

The year model carrier ain't got chit to do with it. It's the RATIO the carrier is made for. See my last reply.

The ring gear mounting FLANGE on the carrier is in a different place for the 2.45 gear. That's why you must get the carrier for the higher numerical gears. They move the flange to keep proper ring and pinion gear contact. They are NOT interchangeable because of that.
I’m not good with texting and making it make sense I know that you need a different carrier, now my question is about the suregrip and how that’s ok

I’m not good with texting and making it make sense I know that you need a diff carrier, now my question is about the suregrip and how that’s ok

I JUST TOLD YOU. Get the sure grip for the higher numeric gear than the 2.45. Whether it's sure grip or not makes NO difference. It's WHERE the ring gear mounting flange is. 2.45 and numerically lower gears take one carrier. Gears numerically higher than 2.45 take another PERIOD. End of story. Whether sure grip or not.

I understand all except the suregrip part since it doesn’t have a carrier that’s different from one to the other. Since the carrier is the main difference

Ok I’ll let you know if it works . I don’t really like asking for help because it’s hard for me to express and type it. I have bad nerve damage in my arms and carpal tunnel so it’s uncomfortable to type

Thanks for the help I know my questions seem like a 5 year old texted them but when your body is fucked up what can you do

I understand all except the suregrip part since it doesn’t have a carrier that’s different from one to the other. Since the carrier is the main difference

The sure grip DOES INDEED have a different carrier. It too has a carrier specific for 2.45 and numerically lower gears and another for gears numerically higher than 2.45 just like an open carrier. I don't know WHERE you came up with that but it's WRONG.

Thanks for the help I know my questions seem like a 5 year old texted them but when your body is fucked up what can you do

It's no problem. I get it. You're not familiar with it. That's fine. But you're asking the same question over and over. Read what we're telling you. Roy (SGBARRACUDA) and I have a combined 100 plus years of experience.

The sure grip DOES INDEED have a different carrier. It too has a carrier specific for 2.45 and numerically lower gears and another for gears numerically higher than 2.45 just like an open carrier. I don't know WHERE you came up with that but it's WRONG.
Like I said I’ve been reading all I can about this and there was alote of misleading info so I’ll just try what you 2 have told me

What kind of install kit should I get?and for bearings I’ll buy ones same as old ones.I seen a kit but for the gears and shims and few seals but it only goes back to 75.again sorry for the childish questions lol I’m gathering up info and will be purchasing on Tuesday when I get paid and don’t want to buy stuff I don’t need I’m barely getting buy paycheck to paycheck as it is.I’m actually looking forward to this project been driving my duster for 5 years with the 2:45 and don’t like it

It's no problem. I get it. You're not familiar with it. That's fine. But you're asking the same question over and over. Read what we're telling you. Roy (SGBARRACUDA) and I have a combined 100 plus years of experience.
Since I’m hear I’m redoing my 318/904 28”tire and going with xe268 cam,4 barrel,570 Holley street avenger, 302 closed chamber heads 1 5/8 headers dual 2.5 exhaust 2500 converter wanted 4:10 gears but wondering how the 3:55 would work or somewhere in between it’s not a daily anymore just a weekend warrior and never travel highway. Trying to have fun with the 318 before I install the big block( Dana 60 later for that)

Since I’m hear I’m redoing my 318/904 28”tire and going with xe268 cam,4 barrel,570 Holley street avenger, 302 closed chamber heads 1 5/8 headers dual 2.5 exhaust 2500 converter wanted 4:10 gears but wondering how the 3:55 would work or somewhere in between it’s not a daily anymore just a weekend warrior and never travel highway. Trying to have fun with the 318 before I install the big block( Dana 60 later for that)

I think a 3.55 would be good, but that 570 carburetor is really going to keep you slow. JMO.

I think a 3.55 would be good, but that 570 carburetor is really going to keep you slow. JMO.
Prob lol. I don’t want to be digging up old stuff but... lol is there a difference in bearings ? There shouldn’t be I guess huh ?just want to make sure Ive never build a rearend and parts aren’t easy to come by locally.I was looking at gear sets and they come with the shims and seals when changing gears but it gives no differences in measurements.maybe I’m over thinking this

Prob lol. I don’t want to be digging up old stuff but... lol is there a difference in bearings ? There shouldn’t be I guess huh ?just want to make sure Ive never build a rearend and parts aren’t easy to come by locally.I was looking at gear sets and they come with the shims and seals when changing gears but it gives no differences in measurements.maybe I’m over thinking this

I'm not sure. Simply order new bearings for whatever application you're using the housing for. In other words, what did the housing come in? That's what you get bearings for. A 19xx whatever with an 8.2 rear axle.

I'm not sure. Simply order new bearings for whatever application you're using the housing for. In other words, what did the housing come in? That's what you get bearings for. A 19xx whatever with an 8.2 rear axle.
upload_2021-2-12_21-28-6.png

Ok. I guess if your housing is among those listed, you're good.
Ok cool because at first I figured diff bearings but apparently that’s not the case man really appreciate yah helping me out I’ll let yah know how it goes when I do it

Ok cool because at first I figured diff bearings but apparently that’s not the case man really appreciate yah helping me out I’ll let yah know how it goes when I do it

No problem. Good luck with it all!

-
Back