318 power!

-
Yup used to call it "trade secrets" its like try to find info on rebuilding a modern transmission Like an automatic out of a 10 year old mustang. You have to buy Alldata for that and even then...

Yep my buddy is the same age as me (67) and although he is still building a few transmissions for guys he won’t work on the newer transmissions. He’s not making enough to justify the expense

I worked in a Trans shop about 20 years ago, even back then a typical trans job was between 3-4 grand...that's R&R rebuild with a limited warranty etc. I imagine now it must be twice that to make a profit and even then most people opt for another car.

Yup that's what they want you to do just keep getting a new car. They'll make the parts poor quality too where good parts are too expensive its part of a plan I think. It kills it being an auto mechanic because the customers beat you up about it...

Yup that's what they want you to do just keep getting a new car. They'll make the parts poor quality too where good parts are too expensive its part of a plan I think. It kills it being an auto mechanic because the customers beat you up about it...
Most new problems are software, which leads to hard-part failures, many full electronic control trannys self destruct because of programming errors. Some are obvious, & get handled under warranty, but what about the 'sort of annoying' flaw that kills it prematurely down the road?
Believe Me, I appreciate the benefits of well-done electronic trans controls, but as stated..the costs of these failed units is over the top at this point.

U can buy a good car cheaper than fixing the trans in your own car. Kim
Except for Illinois. I have an 01 Durango with a dead 46re.... I needed something "now" that I could put 2 kids car seats in, and my wife likes the Durango she's had for the last 10+ years so wanted another one like it. After I paid for the 03 Durango I bought I had to pay this miserable state $416 to transfer license and title to my name. Ridiculous. That was before I even did the first oil change in that 03... That $416 would have bought 2 of the new tires I had to put onto it.

I just got the parts for the first Durango a couple of days ago finally. Cost me not much more than that for the rebuild parts and fresh converter for the 01. To me then that's a $416 head start towards fixing what you already have. I went the junkyard route and got 3 months out of that so now I'm rebuilding the original one.
Put the junkyard one in last July and that one died in October. Again for not much more than that junkyard unit cost me I'm able to fix the original. Lots of good money after bad
Between this miserable overtaxing state and even just the fluid I ended up wasting on that used trans, fixing the original one will end up cheaper than what I have out...... Not counting the cost of replacement vehicle in that in the least. Just the DMV fees I wouldn't have had to pay in itself / s a helluva head start to fixing instead of replacing.

I have a neighbor whos a real hillbilly he was yelling at someone over a running snowblower about "The Poer, the poer..." he's always doing that... running something real loud then yelling at people...sometimes if ya just watch people ya see how nuts they really are...:)

Except for Illinois. I have an 01 Durango with a dead 46re.... I needed something "now" that I could put 2 kids car seats in, and my wife likes the Durango she's had for the last 10+ years so wanted another one like it. After I paid for the 03 Durango I bought I had to pay this miserable state $416 to transfer license and title to my name. Ridiculous. That was before I even did the first oil change in that 03... That $416 would have bought 2 of the new tires I had to put onto it.

I just got the parts for the first Durango a couple of days ago finally. Cost me not much more than that for the rebuild parts and fresh converter for the 01. To me then that's a $416 head start towards fixing what you already have. I went the junkyard route and got 3 months out of that so now I'm rebuilding the original one.
Put the junkyard one in last July and that one died in October. Again for not much more than that junkyard unit cost me I'm able to fix the original. Lots of good money after bad
Between this miserable overtaxing state and even just the fluid I ended up wasting on that used trans, fixing the original one will end up cheaper than what I have out...... Not counting the cost of replacement vehicle in that in the least. Just the DMV fees I wouldn't have had to pay in itself / s a helluva head start to fixing instead of replacing.
$416.00 is cheap. Here in Missouri you have to pay sales tax,which i think is like 7% for motor vehicles plus a $14.50 title fee and the plates are based on title horsepower. When I bought my 2019 Colorado it cost me somewhere around $1500.00.

I hope you are using the correct transmission fluid, it should be ATF+4
Ohh I know all about it, at "only"$11per freaking quart....
I've since found it for $8.some a quart.

Ohh I know all about it, at "only"$11per freaking quart....
I've since found it for $8.some a quart.
You can get it by the gallon and save a little bit more. For most my fluid changes that is what I do now, because per quart prices suck these days.

Transgard ATF+4 from Citgo is $8.49/qt. at Fleet Farm.

$416.00 is cheap. Here in Missouri you have to pay sales tax,which i think is like 7% for motor vehicles plus a $14.50 title fee and the plates are based on title horsepower. When I bought my 2019 Colorado it cost me somewhere around $1500.00.
Well it was only that "cheap" because I bought a 20 yo Durango. If it was 10 yo or less and/or if it was "worth"$15k+ those fees SKYROCKET.
Part of that $416 was a dept of revenue "use tax" which in my case was $100 of that .. which is the cheapest it can possibly be anymore. That is the part that skyrockets for a newer vehicle.
I know a guy who bought a newer charger at an auction, it needed some bodywork so he got a deal on it. He went and registered it, and some time later gets a letter that they "audited" his application and by their estimate a 2016ish charger is worth much more than he declared as having paid for it and demanded the difference in "use tax" between what he initially paid and their estimate.
Now wait a freaking minute. The DMV (which in IL is under the secretary of state) that is who runs license and title. When I go in and get pissed at what they charge I am reminded that this is "permission to have it on the roads in this state"
Isn't that the very definition of "use tax"?
Then why/how in the world can the dept of revenue add additional "use" taxes? That seems unconstitutional to me. A tax upon a tax.
This is unconscionable. Whoever comes up with this BS should have to rot in a prison cell. If this isn't criminal then I guess I don't know what is.

Have ya heard Uncle Tony's MI 318 is fizzling out in real time. Its becoming an exotic performance build with "other than stock parts" Uncle Tony is being badgered to build his "messaged stock parts 300 Horse 318" himself by his minions . I figure he won't what say you? or hell regurgitate Bottle rockets engine and add nitrous call it done (notice he already did it.)
On the other hand it could just be YT drama for clicks it is winter...:lol:

I hope the new one is more to your liking in that department :rofl:

Its remarkable what a port of that size can do. There's still enough air to run 10's @ 3400 pounds and a true testament to what they are capable of in the "Right" hands.

The Moroso slide rule shows 460 HP to push 3400 pounds to 10.9's or 2.1 HP per CFM of airflow. Truly remarkable and quite a feat John! I take my hat off to you.:thumbsup:
That's 460 HP at the wheels which means 575 at the flywheel.

Uncle Tony got a "sore hiney" in Andy Wood's comment section of his last video. Andy said in the video basically that"it's a waste of time to massage stock 318 parts,it wont make 300 HP..."

When limited to a stock 2bbl carb and intake, I just don’t see it happening. I like the idea of the build. Uncle Tony’s new video talks about the beginning and foundation of the idea.

Personally, I think chasing more compression to what they thought was needed, was not needed. Though really helpful in the pursuit.

Andy suggests that achieving the needed ratio would require new pistons which left the original idea of reusing what the engine came with vs what he thinks (and I agree) heavy machine work to kill the block down to achieve there desired ratio.

Uncle Tony got a "sore hiney" in Andy Wood's comment section of his last video. Andy said in the video basically that"it's a waste of time to massage stock 318 parts,it wont make 300 HP..."

If they believed it was a waste of time, they should have never accepted the challenge in the first place. It went from trying to make 300HP with just stock and stock replacement parts to ordering performance parts from the catalog. Even if it's not worth the time doing, they could have done it anyway just to show that it is better to just go with a different route. If it fails it fails, then put the good parts on it and let it rip, they had a small goldmine for content, but lack of communication, and fear of falling short is what I believe got in the way.

If they believed it was a waste of time, they should have never accepted the challenge in the first place. It went from trying to make 300HP with just stock and stock replacement parts to ordering performance parts from the catalog. Even if it's not worth the time doing, they could have done it anyway just to show that it is better to just go with a different route. If it fails it fails, then put the good parts on it and let it rip, they had a small goldmine for content, but lack of communication, and fear of falling short is what I believe got in the way.
I believe that 300 horsepower is a obtainable goal from a 318 using factory parts. 340 carb, intake, heads,cam and headers.

Uncle Tony is going to build it...wait for it...he'll come our with 240 Horse by over revving it and claim its a success and most of yall will eat it hook line and sinker :)

I believe that 300 horsepower is a obtainable goal from a 318 using factory parts. 340 carb, intake, heads,cam and headers.
You forgot the orange paint, even if it's a 70s blue paint motor, the orange paint always adds extra power.

Did I read it on here? someone said the Mopar guy (Tony) is getting the Chevy guy (Vizard) and the Ford guy ( Andy) to show everyone how its done...LOL!
well now the Mopar guy is back on it I suppose. Which will be the better engine in the end no one knows...I may buy a raffle ticket for that Vizard engine ....

-
Back