318 rebuild/upgrade

-

harrytoes

Reaction score
I have a 68 fastback barracuda. Handed down from the original owner, my dad. The engine was rebuilt about 10 years ago by my grandfather, a mopar mechanic for over thirty years. It was done pretty much to factory specs. I am planning putting a little punch into the motor with a new cam, "302" heads, and new 4bbl intake and carb.
I am planning on making this into a "G machine" by improving the handling and brakes.

Is there anything that I should do to the "302" heads or should I just bolt them on?

port the crap outa them! i put them on ym teen and the ports are tinny! i should have done more work to mine

if you want to use the 302 heads put 350 valves in them and port them to 360 size. hot rod did this and made over 400hp with a 318.

steve

ahaha this may sound like a stupid question but r u talking about heads offa ford 302 lol? im new to all this sorry ahah

Casting number "302" heads are awesome on a 318. I ported out a set to 360 valves and my 318 suprised the crap out of me (not to mention a few camaros and chevelles)

I am thinking of making it to the "u-pull-it" yards this weekend. I am also working on building my 318 up and 302 heads are definitely on my list.

Can any of you tell me what vehicles I would have the most luck finding the heads in?

Joe

70Swinger said:
ahaha this may sound like a stupid question but r u talking about heads offa ford 302 lol? im new to all this sorry ahah
They are talking about the casting numbers found on the head. The "302" refurs to the last 3 numbers on the heads casting I.D. numbers.
These numbers are found in 2 places. On the intake runners under the head or ontop of the intake runners under the valve cover.
Sometimes you will see someone say the have a head that gets I.D.ed as a letter. Examples are, X, J, O etc...
These are earlier heads but also have a casting number. X and early J heads have the same casting numbers ending in 915.

Ok,I am new on this website. I have a stock 318 with stock heads. So could I buy some X or J heads and port them out like I would on a 360 and gain extra horsepower?
(By the way, I am 11 years old!

70duster318 said:
Ok,I am new on this website. I have a stock 318 with stock heads. So could I buy some X or J heads and port them out like I would on a 360 and gain extra horsepower?
(By the way, I am 11 years old!

Are you seriously 11?

Welcome to the site young man. Thats a very good question. Your answer is;

Yes you could, BUT, you may very well be upset when your done. You have to understand that when you start to modify parts and swap them around in search of more power, weather torque or horse power or both, the new parts must be part of a working package.

You could throw on a set of zoomie headers and a tunnel ram with a big whoppin cam and a set of carb on a stock 318 and create more power, but it is mostly unuseable if at all on the street, and the track performance will really really stink.

360 heads on a 318 are better suited to a preety stout build. Stock head can take you preety far. The correct heads in a performance build can go father.
This also applys to porting the head. Same as above, the amount of porting you do must comploment the whole package.
The package would be Cam, Compresion, and Carb size for use on it's intended purpose. You must also pay attention to the cars weight vs. engine size and package used.
Example;

A Race preped engine of 318 cubic inchs would perform very poorly in a '76 Imperial but real well in a 67 Dart with a properly tune chassis.

The problem with putting the larger valves in the 302 heads is the shrouding that they get in the clyinder and the chamber, I've done the same thing years ago and lost HP and torque, you're better off with the smaller valves as the velocity for the street will be much better and much more torque. The small valves and cams are good to 5000rpms easy, and how many street engines are going to go over this anyway.

BJR Racing

I know there are a lot of question of this nature, but everyone's car is unique and I'm a slow learner :thumblef: . I have a 318 in my 74 Duster with the factory 3spd (4spd is at the top of the list right now). I don't know what size gears I have, but the tires are 215 60 r15's and the rear is 8.25. I have a 650 Edelbrock mechanical secondary 4 bbl, edel. RPM air-gap manny, Hedman headers and a 2.5 exhaust system. I am probably going to go with a stock 340 replacement cam from Mopar Performance, but the heads are up in the air. This is my daily driver, but I want to be able to scare the lower school parents at my school :evil2:

What heads would you guys suggest?

I would use the 318s (heads), and also use a 360 2 bbl cam as this cam has more duration and lift that will give better power and torque and not kill you at the pump. I use to run one for years until I wore the engine out, worked great for towing the race car and for street driving. Surprised many a stang and chebby in the tow truck.

BJR Racing

A little cleanup in the bowls and a gasket match will do the trick along with a good valve job with the stock valves.

BJR Racing

If it was an everyday ride, I would look at a regular Performer for a bolt on deal or a RPM with a slight mod to match the intake window with the heads window.
(In large the heads port)

Rumblefish360,
Glad your over your ordeal! Hope you got WARM ENOUGH! Man what a story! As you said great for NEWS!
Anyways I agree with you on the manifold.

BJR Racing

Rumblefish,
Glad you had some time to stop by and chat, looking forward to getting with you in August! Maybe everything didn't leave you in the mess that you had on your trip home, you've seen and heard some very good info that will take you far! I did appreciate everything that went on, it was very good talking to someone other than just E-Mail and the sort. I will have the New Pro Stock suspension under the car long before you get back here in august, talked to the guy that did WJ's and he said to bring it Sunday 1/22/06 so I'll be ready for when you come back.

BJR Racing

If I put a performer manifold on my 318 is there any thing that has to be done or is it just a bolt on. Also what would be a good carb for this set up? Last one, does it make a difference that this is a california car?

This is a stock engine. I am planning on switching the intake, carb and cam. Is there anything else I should do while I have the thing apart. I am not looking to race the thing. It is the car that brought me home from the hospital when I was born 35 years ago. I just want to spice it up a little bit.

cuda engine.JPG

I built a 318 that I put in my 64 Valiant,
the 273 was tired.

Before I swapped engines;
I took the car to Midas and had dual exhaust off the manifolds done,
using Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, I supplied. :)

I used an older Edelbrock intake the LD4B,
it was sold over the counter at the Mopar parts dealers,
and was listed in the old "Hustle Stuff" catalog, as being
suggested for the 273,and 318.

The intake ports are smaller than the 340 LD340 or Performer
intakes ports;
this allows more velocity,for the smaller 318 heads ports.

I used the # 302 heads on my build up,
if I knew before hand, what I do know, I would have used
1.88 intakes,
and done some mild homestyle porting,to just
clean up casting flash gobs,etc.

For the carb, I used,and am happy with,
the Edelbrock Performer electric choke, 600 cfm "Afb" type carb
part # 1406.

I have 2:94 rear gears,and used the Mopar Performance
cam/lifters kit # 4452759

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,200-5,200 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 228
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./228 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 260
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 268
Advertised Duration: 260 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.430
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.450

I also used the Mopar perf. springs that go with the cam,
you could use 340 replacment springs also.

The cam selection should be made with a few questions answered Honestly.

What rear gears/ are will be in the car.
Are you going to street drive the car, or drag race it
what compression ratio is in the engine.?

If you have 2:76 gears and are keeping them,
you would not use as big a cam, as if you had 4:56's and drag race. ;)

2549july_3rd_2005_Pittsfield_car_show_003-med.jpg

harrytoes said:
If I put a performer manifold on my 318 is there any thing that has to be done or is it just a bolt on. Also what would be a good carb for this set up? Last one, does it make a difference that this is a california car?
Just bolt the intake on and go. However, being in Cali. theres laws about what is good to go and in N.Y.(City metro area) , the tail pipe testing ends for cars after 25 years of age.
The intake is leagal for sale and use in Cali. with O.E. equipment. That means you need a 4bbl. for the year of the car or a replacement part carb. That means it needs to listed as a "Replacement carb" that meets Cali. law. I believe it to need a "E.O." number on it or listed "Replacement equipment"

Otherwise, in most cases, I'd say a 600 cfm carb will do fine reguradless of make. It becomes your choice there.

-
Back