383S Factory Emblem Delete

-

efriedrich

69 383S
Reaction score
My 69 383S Barracuda doesnt have any holes in the fenders other than the ones for the barracuda script. Is it possible that it came from the factory with the 383S emblems deleted.

Do you have a fender tag?

There was not an option for emblem delete.

Some options……

Factory error (unlikely). If it was a factory error it would still be incorrect.

Fenders were replaced at one time over the last 40 years.

Reason I ask about the fender tag……. Cars with the Cuda package would not have the emblem. Your vin could show 383 but with out a fender tag or build sheet you really can't tell if it was a Formula S or a Cuda.

I have the fender tag and build sheet, the car is all #'s matching motor, tranny, core support and trunk so I'm confident in it's pedigree. I thinks fenders are original, the car was repainted gray in the late 70's before I got it but underneath is Y2 the original color. I understand starting with the simple questions, but my confusion goes beyond the obvious. I have been trying to figure this out for years. I have thought about contacting Govier but I had hoped one of the many guru's from the forum might be able to tell me. Interestingly enough 1968formulas340 I was hoping you would know (LOL).

Not much to figure out if you have the fender tag. Most of the info and major options are on there.

Have you decoded the fender tag?

What questions do you have specifically?

As far as the 383-S emblems….. If your fender tag says Formula S your car should have the emblems, existing holes or not.

Don't blow your money on Galen. These cars do not require rocket science. He will do little more than tell you what your fender tag can tell you and how many were optioned like yours.

Yes I have decoded my tag. My question is simply why are there no provision's for an emblem. I am doing the body work on my car now getting it ready for paint and I don't think I'm going to drill holes in the fenders and mount emblems if it did'nt come with them. I can already here some guy at a show telling me that it's "not correct" cause there is no emblem. The side stripe was plain without the 383. I know this was optional but wonder if it has some connection.

I had to chime in on this one.

The fenders could have easily been replaced in 40 years, and some previous owner could have scored a set of fenders with the same paint on them- that would bring on the bragging if it were me.

Factory error? I used to think this was not very common until I spoke to an old school Mopar guy and he convinced me otherwise. People make mistakes, people get lazy, and sometimes they do things wrong when they think they are right. We all experience this. Add in its Friday and I can't wait to get home, or we ran out of this part, lets use that one- it was built late in the week, the model run, etc.
There are also websites that contain 'factory errors' but I'm not convinced these are even errors. Sometimes you work with what you have to get the job done- how else would a build sheet end up in the wrong car, (assuming the seat was not replaced over the years).

Dare I say it, but my motor is orange, and it was painted the wrong shade of turquoise over that. I spoke to the second owner- very long story short- alot can happen in 40 years, and alot can happen on a Friday build date.
From what I know, I'm not convinced either way, but it is interesting.

Yes I have decoded my tag. My question is simply why are there no provision's for an emblem. I am doing the body work on my car now getting it ready for paint and I don't think I'm going to drill holes in the fenders and mount emblems if it did'nt come with them. I can already here some guy at a show telling me that it's "not correct" cause there is no emblem. The side stripe was plain without the 383. I now this was optional but wonder if it has some connection.

The only thing you will ever know for sure is that you don't really know. There is too much missing Mopar documentation from the era to be 100% positive on what is what.

So let me ask this. Did they build barracudas that only had script? Because original or not these fenders never had any emblem on them whether it was the 383 or the fish, only the script? As far as the fenders not being original, I don't think this is the case. The core support is original and looks completely straight and undamaged, wouldn't it be likely that it would have been wiped out if both fenders would have needed changing. The front nose piece, valance and hood are all Y2 under the crappy gray repaint and they are in very good shape and don't appear to have ever been repaired (no bondo).

Maybe they are factory pieces from way back, replaced 30 or so years ago?
Before they called them nos.

Too many ifs. Have you tracked down the previous owners?

My book shows that the Barracuda script pn 2901852 was used along with pn 2901858 if it was a 383-S car. Also pn 2785540 Pentastar was used on right fender.
If it was a non-S car then the fish pn 2963656 right and pn 2963657 left was used instead of pn 2901858.
This is in line with what 1968formulas340 is telling you but who knows for sure.

I have been told that the factory replacement fenders were only stamped with the script emblems and the body shop had to do the other holes for the correct emblems.

I have the same issue with the fenders on my 1968 and I know they were replaced because the Mopar part number in yellow is still on the inside in yellow ink. All the rest of the car has under coating execpt those fenders. Between my buddy and I we have had the car since about 1990 and those fenders were on it when he bought it.

They always leave out 67!
So similar to the 8 and 9s, yet so different.

I thought `69 just used decals? No?

I don't think my book shows decals. My car never had them so I never looked for them. I will have to look.

UPDATE>>>>> My book doesn't list decals.

If we were talking 1968 I have the Mopar Master Parts Book but that won't help on this 1969.

I stand by my statement about missing information in the era.

Well, after poking around on the net I have seen several without the emblem, but those without the emblem have the stripe with the displacement call out.

All that I have seen without the emblem but with the stripe were 340 cars.

Every 383 car with the displacement stripe also has the emblem.

Take that info with a grain of salt…..

If you go here….. It shows both the stripe and emblem on a 383 car.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0001.jpg

My car has a build date of October 1968. Does that make it an early build date. It's kind of a weird car any way, 383, 4 speed. 391 gears, and red plastic wheel well liners, what a combo.

Anyway….. You have a 383 Formula S. I think you should put the emblems on. Knock off the studs and use double sided 3M tape if you don't want holes drilled.

Without a side stripe the emblems would be 100% right.

With the "call out" stripe they most likely right too.

No stripe, no emblem would be wrong.

-
Back