383S Factory Emblem Delete

-
Yes I have the build sheet, let me look. LOL, everybody in the house is asleep and my *** is rumagging around in the closet for a forty year old piece of paper , all because of emblems, I love mopars.

My car has a build date of October 1968. Does that make it an early build date. It's kind of a weird car any way, 383, 4 speed. 391 gears, and red plastic wheel well liners, what a combo.

July or August `68 would be an early build date for a `69 but October is still relatively early for a build date. Your car sounds like a very cool build especially with that drivetrain and the red wheel liners.:-D

"You have a 383 Formula S."

I think you should do what you want to do and tell anyone that tells you it isn't right to find one like it (if they could) and do it their way.

Do you have the build sheet? Was this car a "SOLD" car?

On the top right hand part of the build sheet, there is a box that says sold car sales bank with a number 4 printed in the box under it. Whats that mean Longgone or anybody else?

Yes I have the build sheet, let me look. LOL, everybody in the house is asleep and my *** is rumagging around in the closet for a forty year old piece of paper , all because of emblems, I love mopars.

That is funny! If the car was special ordered the build sheet should have a mark in the box that says "Rush" I believe. If this is the case you may have a car that started its life one way but then was used to fill the order. As the others have mentioned, your car may have just had the fenders changed? There`s no telling what could happen over the course of 40 years, I`ve learned to never say never when it comes to our cars.

Stripes
Accent
Lower body (std & avail. w/ 'cuda - "340" or "383" only).
Sport (NA with 'cuda "340" or "383" or accent stripe).

Sport Stripes, available in Red, Black or White, are a separate exterior trim option.

Standard Trim

Barracuda insignia on front fenders.

'cuda "340" and "383" Exterior Trim
Lower body stripes-Black
'cuda "340" or "383" tape callouts

Other Optional Sport Trim
Full length sport stripes (narrow-wide-narrow)
Engine displacement incorporated in tape stripe at front fenders when equipped with 340 or 383 engine.

Thanks Okla, So it had the engine callout, but no "S" designation? Just on the tag and on the rear trunk panel.Was the 340 the same?? I just got some emblems and was also thinking of putting stripes on too.

I can't answer that one accurately. I haven't researched stripes since my convertible didn't have them.

Are you still going with the 150 MPH speedo?

Hey longgone when you say decals are you talking about the callouts?

4spdragtop

Yeah, I was thinking of the upper stripe or the "Cuda" logo that appeared on the lower fender. This is another weird thing that goes against all things documented. I grew up with a neighbor that had a `69 340 4spd."Cuda" and the car had a Formula-S emblem on the trunk finish panel. I remember when they bought the car because my dad had a dark blue `69 too. As far as I know the car was not wrecked nor was the finish panel ever replaced and yet it was a "Cuda" with a Formula-S badge?? I tried for years to buy that car and gave up, waited about 20 years and tried again and the lady still wouldn`t sell.

Thanks for all the input guys. As usual the knowledge of the indviduals on this forum continues to amaze me.

Yeah, I was thinking of the upper stripe or the "Cuda" logo that appeared on the lower fender. This is another weird thing that goes against all things documented. I grew up with a neighbor that had a `69 340 4spd."Cuda" and the car had a Formula-S emblem on the trunk finish panel. I remember when they bought the car because my dad had a dark blue `69 too. As far as I know the car was not wrecked nor was the finish panel ever replaced and yet it was a "Cuda" with a Formula-S badge?? I tried for years to buy that car and gave up, waited about 20 years and tried again and the lady still wouldn`t sell.

There was an awful lot of dealer installed items back then so maybe that is the answer.

Not really. It only means that the car in that pic has both. lol

If you look here (from the 68 brochure) you will see the circle around the fish emblem on the trunk lid. 68s didn't have that…… They are only shown in the brochure.

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Plymouth/1968/Barracuda/1968PlymouthBarracudaBroch/68-02_JPG.html

This is funny, my `68 has the fish logo on the trunklid. Could the early `68's have had them and late `68's not? Could my trunklid have come off a `67..possible but it did have the original paint that matched the rest of the car. (?)

This is funny, my `68 has the fish logo on the trunklid. Could the early `68's have had them and late `68's not? Could my trunklid have come off a `67..possible but it did have the original paint that matched the rest of the car. (?)

If you had a 67 trunk lid you would have holes where the center piece of trim went. There were 3 pieces of trim on the 67 and only an upper and lower on the 68. I bet that fish was dropped after the 68 production run was already started.

For 69:
Formula S
NA with 'cuda "340" or "383"

Formula S medallion
Engine identification

Sport stripe was optional, and engine displacement was incorporated in stripe when equipped with 340 or 383.

The parts pics show a car with the Formula S medallion on the trunk, just the fish and Barracuda on the fenders.

The next pic has Formula S medallion on the trunk, Barracuda on the fenders with 340-S or 383-S.

Next one just the 'cuda decals.

Next one tape stripe with engine displacement and tape door stripe, which is on the rocker below the door. Noted as without Formula S package.

The next pic has Formula S medallion on the trunk, Barracuda on the fenders with 340-S or 383-S.

If you had a 67 trunk lid you would have holes where the center piece of trim went. There were 3 pieces of trim on the 67 and only an upper and lower on the 68. I bet that fish was dropped after the 68 production run was already started.

I would agree with that.
I have seen M2 on the fender tag which represents Hamtramck on 67s and 68s built prior to January of 68.
Some things changed after the new models came out.

There was an awful lot of dealer installed items back then so maybe that is the answer.

So true, and there`s always this scenario:

SALESMAN- Hey lot boy, pull around the green "Cuda" fastback. We need to get it into dealer prep, it was sold earlier and the customers coming to pick it up tomorrow.
LOTBOY- Okay, I`ll bring it around
LOTBOY- ..........gone for an inordinate amount of time.........
LOTBOY- .......finally shows up with the car, big dent in the trunk finish panel where he backed into the light pole........
LOTBOY to SALESMAN- Uh, sorry I accidently hit the light pole pulling the car out of its parking spot
SALESMAN to LOTBOY- Well parts doesn`t have another finish panel in stock and the customer is coming tomorrow to pick up the car. Tell you what, pull the finish panel off the red Formula-S and put it on the car. We`ll order a replacement later.

I`m sure scenes like this played out all over the country.

Good point, it would have been drilled for the `67 trim. There are some things that seem to start or finish a run and then vanish. A good example would be the the `68 Dart grille centerpiece that disappeared around Dec.`67.

Not knowing the history of my 69 F/S 383 car, matching numbers car. The fenders do not have the holes for the 383 script. So the plot thickens?????

69 Barracuda F/S 383 4 speed
68 Dart GTS 383 auto

Mark

I can't answer that one accurately. I haven't researched stripes since my convertible didn't have them.

Are you still going with the 150 MPH speedo?

Yes Im gonna go with the 150, I have a super nice 120 with trip, but while the car is apart, I may as well put a 150 in. Yeah nothing seems cut and dried with ma mopar back then, with all these variables.

Not knowing the history of my 69 F/S 383 car, matching numbers car. The fenders do not have the holes for the 383 script. So the plot thickens?????

69 Barracuda F/S 383 4 speed
68 Dart GTS 383 auto

Mark

Does it have a stripe and/or engine call out on it. After looking around on the net I found some pics of a few other cars like this as well. Do you know the build date of the car.

I had a 69 340 'S' coupe that had the side stripes with 340 callout. I was told by Galen that if it had the 340 stripe the factory deleted the 340-S emblems as they were redundant. Someone removed the red stripe from the car before I bought it but I found remnants of it on the fenders and door edges.

69 Cuda.jpg

If the car had the stripe with the engine call out they did not have 340S or 383S under the Barracuda script.

I have an all original '69 340 Formula S with the stripe and almost passed on the car because it didn't have the 340s emblems.

If the car had the stripe with the engine call out they did not have 340S or 383S under the Barracuda script.

I have an all original '69 340 Formula S with the stripe and almost passed on the car because it didn't have the 340s emblems.

This makes sense and as Commando66 just mentioned the emblems become redundant when the car is equipped with a stripe that defines the engine displacement. Oddly though if you go to post #20 of 1968FormulaS340`s, there is a picture of a brand-spanking-new 69 Barracuda with a stripe and the emblems. :scratch:

-
Back