383S Factory Emblem Delete

-
This makes sense and as Commando66 just mentioned the emblems become redundant when the car is equipped with a stripe that defines the engine displacement. Oddly though if you go to post #20 of 1968FormulaS340`s, there is a picture of a brand-spanking-new 69 Barracuda with a stripe and the emblems. :scratch:

Got to love Ma Mopar!!

If the car had the stripe with the engine call out they did not have 340S or 383S under the Barracuda script.

I have an all original '69 340 Formula S with the stripe and almost passed on the car because it didn't have the 340s emblems.

This would be a nice explanation but I have have seen lots of cars, most all in fact that have both engine script and stripe with engine call out. Yours, mine and a few other seem to be the exception; why is what I'm wondering.

And that is one of the problems…. A stripe can be added any time. Lets look at this car for example……..

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0001.jpg

They may have shot over 100 pictures of that car. 50 could have been without a stripe, then they slapped the stripe on and shot 50 more and used the picture they liked best.

I searched the net and from what I have seen……. 340 car with stripe didn't get the emblem. 383 car got the emblem with the stripe. But again……. These are just cars on the net……. The stripe could have been added in 2006.

I just don't know. I say if you are going with the call out stripe you can go either way. No stripe use the emblem for sure.

I'll have to believe that if it had callout stripes then it would not have the fender callouts , same scenario plays out on other models such as a 69 superbee with ramcharger hood , engine callout on the scoop and the 383 magnum emblem is not installed on the fender, though a few are known that had both.

As far as that picture from Hamtramack Historical , that's a pre release photo , probably of a pilot car so it would have things production models would not .

This would be a nice explanation but I have have seen lots of cars, most all in fact that have both engine script and stripe with engine call out. Yours, mine and a few other seem to be the exception; why is what I'm wondering.

Were these unrestored cars ?

We are talking about the Formula S cars, and the data book I have states:
Engine displacement incorporated in tape stripe at front fenders when equipped with 340 or 383 engine.

So if that is true then none of the S cars would have the emblem, which we know is not true. And if you got the Formula S option the engine has to be a 340 or a 383.

As far as the sales pics go, many cars were prototypes when the pics were taken. The sales stuff has to entice buyers to spend their money, so they sometimes get done before the car is finalized.
There was an article in Hemmings this month which had pics of the 'new' 70 Chevelle SS 454. The car had Malibu emblems, 350 emblems, and SS 454 emblems, plus chrome on the wheel wells, which is incorrect.
One of the cars was a 6 cylinder, the other had no engine at all.

We are talking about the Formula S cars, and the data book I have states:
Engine displacement incorporated in tape stripe at front fenders when equipped with 340 or 383 engine.

So if that is true then none of the S cars would have the emblem, which we know is not true. And if you got the Formula S option the engine has to be a 340 or a 383.

As far as the sales pics go, many cars were prototypes when the pics were taken. The sales stuff has to entice buyers to spend their money, so they sometimes get done before the car is finalized.
There was an article in Hemmings this month which had pics of the 'new' 70 Chevelle SS 454. The car had Malibu emblems, 350 emblems, and SS 454 emblems, plus chrome on the wheel wells, which is incorrect.
One of the cars was a 6 cylinder, the other had no engine at all.

This would have only been true if you had the stripe which was a $25.90 option. I have the original broadcast sheet and window sticker and fender tag and they all list V6W which is a white stripe so the fender tag should have 6V_ with the dash being the color.

I'll have to believe that if it had callout stripes then it would not have the fender callouts , same scenario plays out on other models such as a 69 superbee with ramcharger hood , engine callout on the scoop and the 383 magnum emblem is not installed on the fender, though a few are known that had both.

As far as that picture from Hamtramack Historical , that's a pre release photo , probably of a pilot car so it would have things production models would not .

Were these unrestored cars ?

I think you might have hit on it JohnRR, I think most of the cars I have seen were restored, maybe incorrectly.

-
Back